NF - Hoops and Hurdles

SlowPoke

I've been jumping through hoops and over hurdles since mid-April and I can finally see the finish line; two weeks away.

I left my job after 18 years for a new position. The writing was on the wall for closure and I hung in as long as I could stand it for a buy-out. Instead of closing, they kept me and one other person on with a signifcant change of duties. Even with seniority over the other guy, I couldn't stand it any longer and went job shopping.

I started the new gig in November. My mindset was 'I hope its better but if its not, I will at least brush up on aspects of the job I haven't done in nearly 20 years'. I drive a truck for a living and a lot has changed in terms over border crossing over the years.

I give the new gig a fair chance; 6+ months. I established very early a 'take no crap' stance and I'm glad I did. It opened a few eyes, regained some respect for drivers including myself and affected some change. I will admit that it was a little fun to be in a financial position to speak my mind when I felt it necessary and to take a stand when pressed to do something outside of the professional norms. A lot of employees in this industry are faced with immoral/unlawful challanges and feel the pressure to succumb to company's wishes, or else. It also put into perspective how good my last employer was and justified my 18 year tennure. I liked the job and the people but the company is another story. Their policies and structure inhibit productivity and my income is dependent on productivity. Time to go job shopping again.

A former co-worker and friend has being trying to convince me for the last ten years to come and work with him. He's been very successful and enjoys what he is doing but it was hard to drop what I had in terms of security, routine and availability with such a young family. Now that my daughters are in their teens, my wife has reentered the workforce and we live in our dream home, I think it's time to take the plunge.

After doing my financial homework; discussing at length with the family and due diligence, I have purchased my own truck. The carrier I will be contracting to has a lengthy list of demands and procedures. I've been asked by a few "if this company is so good, why doesn't everybody go there?". It's a very valid question and I've applied it to other companies when I've considered making this investment. The only reason I can come up with is that 'everybody' else either isn't qualified or willing to meet the challanges to get on board. Meeting the demands has been an exercise of jumping though hoops and leaping over hurdles but the end, or should I say, the beginning is in site. I will be starting orientation in Moncton on May 30. I've reminded myself along the way that the company has made a sizeable investment in me as well. I can't blame them for the stringent screening process. They will have in the neighbourhood of $7-8000 invested in me before I even turn a wheel.

Along the way, my Father has offered this advice; If it's meant to be, you'll find a way to make it happen.

Here's the new ride...

07670.jpg

What a Beaut !!! That flower has to go if you want to keep your man card in good standingswhistling.gif

Seriously though, good luck on your new career Brian.I know how it feels considering i took the plunge 7 years ago, when i bought the company i was working for at the time.

Enjoy the challenges, and reap the rewardsclapping.gif

Paul

Oh man you did it; congratulation!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve never worked on big rigs and at my age I don’t want to learn. LOL.

But if there’s ever anything you need help with, you know where the shop is. Tools, equipment, power washer to clean the work horse, is all there for you. If you plan on doing your own basic service work (oil changes) I have all the facilities as in drainers and waste oil storage and greasing equipment. You know I don’t make idle gestures; the shop is yours for the use. Not sure if the truck will fit inside the shop, with the way the hoists are set up but the lot is yours.

Speaking of the lot, off hour’s parking for the rig, let me know?

The only thing is I’m with Wayne; I don’t touch tires on anything that I can’t carry or fit on my tire machine. LOL

Dan

Onward and upward Brian !!!! (just don't call me when it's time to change the tires!)

LOL Wayne, tires shouldn't be an issue. In fact, one of the companies major accounts is Michelin and I will be eligible for a discount and financing (believe it or not!).

Nice ride! Did you get the tow package with that?

I inquired about that Roy. It's good for about 65,000 lbs but I won't be plated to pull tillers.

Sounds like you have done your homework - which is what it takes to make the difference between being an owner operator, and a broker.

You've no doubt seen your share come and go over the years! For many years you could make a buck running as a lifestyle choice but nowadays you have to be a driver/mechanic/CEO/CFO and have a little luck on your side LOL!!

What a Beaut !!! That flower has to go if you want to keep your man card in good standings

Doesn't 465HP and 13 speed transmission come with a lifetime membership? The rose is probably going to stay in some form or another after the truck gets painted. A little tribute to the last owner (Tom and his wife Rose). They have been incredibly generous with their time and if it wasn't for their kindness, this deal would have fell through. Tom is retired and actually re-plated and insured the truck so I could jump through the many hoops along the way. In fact just today, they took four hours out of they're lives to deliver the truck to London for yet another inspection required by the company. Ole' Tom likened this transaction to giving away his daughter at the alter. Today, he and Rose enjoyed one last trip.

But if there’s ever anything you need help with, you know where the shop is.

Dan, you're a class act and I appreciate your offer and kind words. I'm pretty sure Ozzy could lift one of those tires on to the balancing machine!

Thanks to all for your kind words and well wishes!