Today I lost...

Garry2Rs

So Buck and I are standing on the pier at good old Lake Prop Wrecker.

Last week this area was barren, but today the Black Flys are out in force and that says Crappie time to me...grin. So, we stopped to check it out again.

This time we are catching big Sunfish and a few small Crappie on almost every cast. If there are small, there might be large...

After a couple of hours of steady action, Ontario Hydro brings their Jon Boat in and puts it on the trailer. When they clear off, the bite is dead!

Normally one boat don't kill the bite here...In fact once the commotion is over, sometimes the prop-wash has stirred things up in the shallows and everything is feeding like crazy.

Today, is different...It's deader than Bancroft after dark!!!

To try and get things going again I switch to a Lindy Fuzzy Grub. This bait is a couple of sizes larger than I have been using, but my thought is to show them something worth chasing...

I even remove my bobber to let the bait fall to the weed tops. I cast the jig out and start reeling very slowly, One crank revolution per second...as it swims toward me I feel a couple of bumps, then a solid bite...I sweep the rod sideways and reel fast to set the small hook without pulling the bait out of it's mouth...

There is good resistance, and I steer the fish over to the deep side of the dock, so as not to re-startle anyother fish in the shallows.

As the big Bluegill comes shallow enough for me to see it clearly, a 40 inch musky comes out of the deep water and inhales my fish!

For the next 45, very interesting, seconds I have my first musky on an Ultra Light spinning outfit...Then the 4 pound Fluorocarbon parts and I am both jig and fish-less.

I hope he enjoys the meal, I will be looking for payback the second week of June!

Garry2R's

haha great story. I'm waiting for the day that happens to me...although considering I almost never fish for anything smaller than a musky I better not hold my breath. I guess you have to catch a bluegill/crappie/pickerel etc first for this to happen!

Nice at least you saw the fish I don't mind loosing fish if I at least get to see it. But yeah I have been crappie fishing a few times and have had pike try and get a free meal super fun because you never know its going to happen.

Good times:thumbsup_anim:

Great story Garry !!!Muskies when your not expectiong them can scare the heck outta ya.I was at a small lake with my dad, years back, in a 16' canoe. I stopped my retrieve just short of the canoe, laid my rod on the bottom of the boat while i lt up.I remember looking over my cupped hands at the water just in time to see a huge Muskie slurp down my hula popper and swim under the canoe with a splash, breaking the line.I was so startled i almost burned the moustache right off my facemellow.gif Dads back was to the action, and all he saw was the look on my face, and my burning moustache. There wasnt sposed to me Muskie in the lake, we were Bass fishing.

Gave us something to talk about for yearsclapping.gif

Seems to happen every year to me, most of the time the Musky takes the microtube, always end up breaking the 4lb mono. Wish they would be there a month or so later. :wallbash:

Great story!

So Garry2Rs, do you think the bite stopped because the muskie was around or was it because of the time of day? The panfish shut right down at about 8pm on the lake that I fish. They also shut down at various times throughout the day that I attribute to a muskie being in the area.

So Garry2Rs, do you think the bite stopped because the muskie was around or was it because of the time of day? The panfish shut right down at about 8pm on the lake that I fish. They also shut down at various times throughout the day that I attribute to a muskie being in the area.

I think you have the answer. It was only around 3PM, so after I saw him, my thought was that the sudden shut-down was Musky related.

Buck and I went back today. The bite was even better. There are scores of one and two inch minnows around the Lodges docks and we saw a few Perch moving in as well.

The sunfish were everywhere today, holding in schools of 10 or 12...Thick as fleas. The Crappie we caught were also a larger size than yesterday.

What the rain, over the next few days will do, I don't know. however I don't think it will hurt anything, the temp's are supposed to stay up.

Garry

We were out last night on Buckhorn, right amongst a school of crappie my buddy hooks into a nasty looking, scarred up 35" muskie. We managed to land the bugger, slipped right into the cradle with a 2" micro-tube in the corner of his mouth, all on 6lb mono.

We figgered the crappie would shut down, but we kept on catching them...