Drop-shot??

chong

I would like to try drop shotting for walleye,but not sure what's the poper technique is.Do I shake it and stop or

do I drag it on the bottom?

Shake and stop probably is the best, as it is with bass, but try any kind of action and see what they like. Drop shot got me a few walleye on Memesaugamesing and Rice using a 4inch Pink/white Tiki Grub.

u can drag it, or hold it vertical and shake it. depends what the fish want and the area ur fishing it. if ur using somethin like a gulp leech on it, u wont need to apply much action as the water will do most of the work for u. experiment with it, different lengths of leads, baits and actions.

I usually fish the montreal area mostly the st-lawrence river.Would split shot be ok or do i need the drop shot weights? I was thinking of using gulp minnows or leeches.

Edited by chong

i'm fish thte montreal area mostly th st-lawrence river.Would split shot be ok or do i need the drop shot weights? I was thinking of using gulp minnows or leeches.

You don't need drop shot weights. You can use bell sinkers and save some money.

I use drop-shot weights so that I look professional when I have a client...Grin. However if I'm out on my own, I use barrel sinkers and peg them with a round toothpick.

The sinker will still slide off when snagged, just like the fancy ones do. I can also slide it up or down to adjust the length of the leader. But...this set-up is much, much cheaper than the store-bought stuff. The very low cost allows me to have many different sinker sizes on hand.

As to the actual size you will need, depth and current will dictate what weight you should use. I like my sinkers heavy enough that I have positive bottom contact.

Edited by garry2rs

Yea the weight all depends on the water conditions if its choppy you may want more so you can feel it but the biggest question is line I know when I'm drop shottin for bass my friends will put on what I have and try the same patterns and nothing cause there line is thicker they still get some but make sure on the line more then anything. Well other then bait that is.

The lead u use will depend on the bottom and what the fish want. And how the fish are relating to the bottom. The actual dropshot weights aren't really much more costly then other weights. I have a buddy that pours them and I get them for a very cheap price. I dunno where u are but fishing world has a bunch for fair prices in hamilton.

How much space do i leave between the wieght and the lure?Walleye opens on may 13 in montreal , ill let you know how i did.

thx to everyone for the info.

depending on conditions. From 6" to 24". If I cast away from the boat I use longer lead. Directly below the boat I usually go 12"