Lake Athabasca

fish_fishburn

Myself and four buddies were sitting around talking about a fishing trip to take and Lake Athabasca came up in the conversation. We all went our seperate ways and started looking into this destination. I have checked a few camps on the lake, some are out of Fort Mac Alberta and some out of Saskatoon Sask. I'm thinking it would be better to choose an outfitter out of Alberta since they have no sales tax. Anyhow we met yesterday and went over some information and one of the lads suggested we take our dads with us and we agreed and now were a group of ten.

Has any of you OFNers been there and where did you stay? How was your experience? We are planning to go late August 2012. So far I have checked out Lakers Unlimited camp and Lake Athabasca Lodge as well as Indian Head Camp which is the newest camp and looks promising. I want to take the 7 day package but the lads are suggesting since we are taking our old boys with us the 5 day plan might be better.

I told them I would be asking you guys for info cause I am sure there has been a few OFNers there in the past. I mentioned Plummers camp on Great Bear Lake in the NWT but I think the boys wanna give Lake Athabaska a shot first, and its a couple grand cheaper than Plummers. Can't hardly wait to hear what you guys have to say who have been there. I know one thing the Lakers and Northern fishing on Athabasca is second to none, just need to figure out where to stay while were there. Thanks in advance.

Mike.

fishburn, i worked up north of fort mac and i heard that lake Athabasca is heavily polluted from the oilsands. if i were u i would head straight for NWT or at least stay out of those greasy Alberta whiteys

I've heard good things about Lakers Unlimited and have seen some TV shows where they were featured.

You could always split the difference and fish Great Slave (Plummers has a lodgethere as does Frontier Lodge)

If all goes according to plan I will be spending a week at Frontier in July while working at our Community Learning Center in Lutselke'. Nothing like a bit of work with a little fishing after. :whistling:

fishburn, i worked up north of fort mac and i heard that lake Athabasca is heavily polluted from the oilsands. if i were u i would head straight for NWT or at least stay out of those greasy Alberta whiteys

It is contaminated...but then again, what isn't these days? I dont' think it's as bad as some people say, or think, or think they heard. Some scientists have clever sampling methods.

I don't know of any lodges but I've spent time in Fort Chippewyan and spoke to guides and locals in that area. The laker fishing is incredible!!! From the stories I've been told, and the fish I've caught, I'd go back given the opportunity. good luck, I'm sure you won't be disapointed.

Thanks for that Drifter. Frontier camp does look like a a great place. Now with over 75,000 members on this board (I think) and nobody has fished Lake Athabasca? Is it really that polluted? This is the first time I have heard that the Tar Sands are causing this. Maybe you guys know someone who has fished there and can share their experience.

Fishburn, I'm trying to remember the name of the OFNer who guided out of Frontier. He could certainly help. Maybe someone will chime in. Good luck and good call on including the Dads.

I know someone who's fished Athabasca 3 times. He may be difficult to get a hold of but I'll try.

Lots of huge lake trout and the biggest pike of his life. However no huge numbers of big pike. Eddie's camp on the Attawpiskat I believe is better.

If I can reach this guy I'll have him pm you (he's a non active member here).

Thanks for that Drifter. Frontier camp does look like a a great place. Now with over 75,000 members on this board (I think) and nobody has fished Lake Athabasca? Is it really that polluted? This is the first time I have heard that the Tar Sands are causing this. Maybe you guys know someone who has fished there and can share their experience.

I've fished it from shore near Fort Chipewyan. Incredible walleye, goldeye and pike numbers

Another place to consider is God's Lake Lodge in Manitoba. It is not as pricey as some and the fishing for pike, walleye, and brookies is awesome. There are lakers too, but it would depend on what time you go. I was there in 2009 and had a fabulous trip. I was in a group of 8, and all we used were fly rods. We estimated 1500 pike alone that week, up to 46". WE even caught walleye on the fly rod, but if we had used spinning gear we could have taken loads. The God's River holds some of the finest brookie fishing I've ever experienced.

Google it, or send me a PM if you want to talk more.

• 6 months later...

I know someone who's fished Athabasca 3 times. He may be difficult to get a hold of but I'll try.

Lots of huge lake trout and the biggest pike of his life. However no huge numbers of big pike. Eddie's camp on the Attawpiskat I believe is better.

If I can reach this guy I'll have him pm you (he's a non active member here).

I am not sure if I was the person you were thinking about Solo. If so I never received a PM.

Well, I know this is a bit late with my experience on the Lake. I have been there in '96,'98'2000 and 2004. Each time I went with Lakers Unlimited. Back in '96 they were still new on the lake and the accomodations were tent frames. I personally loved it being rustic like that. They now have wooden cabins, central eating cabin (very comfy and good food) with full running showers and flush toilets.

Now for the fishing, in a word, fantastic! I would say the first year my dad and I went was the best. We caught 33 lake trout 4 days in a row. My dad showed me up on catching the big trout catching a 42 pound monster. It took him 25 minutes to reel it in and I recall him saying " he must be holding onto a rock with his entire family". Our best day was catching 33 trout averaging 24.5 pounds. We caught 6 fish over 30 pounds. Many 20 pounders.

Someone mentioned "oily" fish, well, that is just absurd. In the middle of the 320 mile long lake you will not see any signs of the oil production. Regardless, who wants to eat the big ones, just keep the small ones for shore lunch - which incidentally was difficult to do some days. We had one day we could not catch a trout under 14 pounds!

Oh, also someone mentioned the pike fishing. The pike fishing is just as good as Eddie's if not better. I literally caught dozens of pike 20 pounds and better. My personal best pike to date was caught there at 26 pounds. The pike however tend to be long and lean. Eddie's pike were definately thicker. (fished there twice)

Lakers has 2 lodges. One is better for trout the other is better for pike. Having said that the pike fishing at the "laker" lodge is fantastic as well.

If you are truly wanting to experience laker fishing of a lifetime I recommend the cold weeks of late September. (3rd or 4th) to ensure you experience the sight fishing for trout. I, unfortunately, have not been able to go that time of year but having spoken to other guests that have fished that time of year described sight fishing on shoals for 20 30 and 40 pound trout. They just peer into the crystal clear waters and see them swimming around. They described getting into schools of these brutes and being able to cast to them only to have some other trout grab your lure. I would imagine a fly fisherman would be in heaven!

I did go up there the first week of September but we never did experience this. The other groups did however on their last day but unfortunately our guide did not get us to the right spot! wallbash.gif This is why I recommend the 3rd or 4th week of September.

Sorry about the delay to this question but I hope this can help anyone thinking of doing this kind of a trip. PM me if you would like more info on this or Eddie's camp. Always willing to talk to anyone about fishing!

Remember, the unofficial world record was netted in Atahabasca-103 pound football.

Edited by wantabigone

I am not sure if I was the person you were thinking about Solo. If so I never received a PM.

Well, I know this is a bit late with my experience on the Lake. I have been there in '96,'98'2000 and 2004. Each time I went with Lakers Unlimited. Back in '96 they were still new on the lake and the accomodations were tent frames. I personally loved it being rustic like that. They now have wooden cabins, central eating cabin (very comfy and good food) with full running showers and flush toilets.

Now for the fishing, in a word, fantastic! I would say the first year my dad and I went was the best. We caught 33 lake trout 4 days in a row. My dad showed me up on catching the big trout catching a 42 pound monster. It took him 25 minutes to reel it in and I recall him saying " he must be holding onto a rock with his entire family". Our best day was catching 33 trout averaging 24.5 pounds. We caught 6 fish over 30 pounds. Many 20 pounders.

Someone mentioned "oily" fish, well, that is just absurd. In the middle of the 320 mile long lake you will not see any signs of the oil production. Regardless, who wants to eat the big ones, just keep the small ones for shore lunch - which incidentally was difficult to do some days. We had one day we could not catch a trout under 14 pounds!

Oh, also someone mentioned the pike fishing. The pike fishing is just as good as Eddie's if not better. I literally caught dozens of pike 20 pounds and better. My personal best pike to date was caught there at 26 pounds. The pike however tend to be long and lean. Eddie's pike were definately thicker. (fished there twice)

Lakers has 2 lodges. One is better for trout the other is better for pike. Having said that the pike fishing at the "laker" lodge is fantastic as well.

If you are truly wanting to experience laker fishing of a lifetime I recommend the cold weeks of late September. (3rd or 4th) to ensure you experience the sight fishing for trout. I, unfortunately, have not been able to go that time of year but having spoken to other guests that have fished that time of year described sight fishing on shoals for 20 30 and 40 pound trout. They just peer into the crystal clear waters and see them swimming around. They described getting into schools of these brutes and being able to cast to them only to have some other trout grab your lure. I would imagine a fly fisherman would be in heaven!

I did go up there the first week of September but we never did experience this. The other groups did however on their last day but unfortunately our guide did not get us to the right spot! wallbash.gif This is why I recommend the 3rd or 4th week of September.

Sorry about the delay to this question but I hope this can help anyone thinking of doing this kind of a trip. PM me if you would like more info on this or Eddie's camp. Always willing to talk to anyone about fishing!

Remember, the unofficial world record was netted in Atahabasca-103 pound football.

Incredible report. :clapping: Are pike and lakers the only species? Fly-in? I am very interested. Pricy?

Incredible report. clapping.gif Are pike and lakers the only species? Fly-in? I am very interested. Pricy?

We managed to do the "northern grand slam" from shore at the camp. We caught and released whitefish,pike,lake trout and grayling. Incidentally Grayling is my absolutely favourite tasting fish. I did catch some walleye while targeting trout in late August and early September.

Lake Athabasca is located in northern Saskatchewan/Alberta. We went to Lakers Unlimited which required us to fly into Edmonton or Fort McMurray depending on the year we went. Everything was taken care of once we left the hotel in the morning. It was pricey back then but is out of my reach financially now which is the reason I have not gone back. If I ever do, it will be in the final 2 weeks of September. Like other places if you check in with the lodge periodically sometimes they have last minute cancellations and you can get some decent deals at those times.

Just type in Lakers Unlimited in search bar and it will come up. Incidentally Indian Head is located in the same area as Lakers Unlimited and also looks to be a good location. (has a pool table from what I understand!)

There's just no way a person can go wrong with Bear, Slave or Athabasca. I can't compare them personally, both Slave and Athabasca are future trips for sure. A fella I message with online who has been to Bear once, Slave several times at different lodges, and all three of the Athabasca lodges you mentioned,(as well as Selwyn, Nueltin, Gods, Kasba and La Martre) well... he loves them all. For different reasons, he thinks they're all great. He feels Bear is your best shot at fish to 40 to 60 and the next world record, Slave 30 to 40 and Athabasca 20-30's. Bear being the only one that's never had much if any of a commercial fishery and little to no shoreline development.... BUT Slave, Atha and Bear all hold world record potential and all have big catches annually. Athabasca he told me with Lakers Unltd was SICK with the numbers of catches of 20-30lb lakers, even more than Bear. For cost too, you could probably pull off 2 weeks on Athabasca for about a week on Bear... and with better pike fishing on Athabasca. My trips to Bear can't really be considered as the best potential there for lakers, as I haven't ever gone at the most prime time for lakers, arctic char were the reason.

Writer/traveler/pike guru Jack Penny put Lakers Unlimited/Athabasca pike fishing at second best on his list for top North American pike fisheries.

You're going to have a blast. Take FULL advantage and 7 days. You travel all that way, you fish what will likely become your next heaven on earth, and then sell yourself short... Don't. You'll regret losing those two days.

We managed to do the "northern grand slam" from shore at the camp. We caught and released whitefish,pike,lake trout and grayling. Incidentally Grayling is my absolutely favourite tasting fish. I did catch some walleye while targeting trout in late August and early September.

Lake Athabasca is located in northern Saskatchewan/Alberta. We went to Lakers Unlimited which required us to fly into Edmonton or Fort McMurray depending on the year we went. Everything was taken care of once we left the hotel in the morning. It was pricey back then but is out of my reach financially now which is the reason I have not gone back. If I ever do, it will be in the final 2 weeks of September. Like other places if you check in with the lodge periodically sometimes they have last minute cancellations and you can get some decent deals at those times.

Just type in Lakers Unlimited in search bar and it will come up. Incidentally Indian Head is located in the same area as Lakers Unlimited and also looks to be a good location. (has a pool table from what I understand!)

Thank you very much for this info wantabigone. Catching grayling is certainly a major bonus! Looking at google earth, looks like roads go very close to Athabasca (probably too close).

I hope you are still able to fish with your dad.

My bucket list grows. :thumbsup_anim:

I have several clients who have been to Athabasca at least a dozen times. One guy has gone twice a year for 13 or 14 years. Pike in June and lakers in Sept. The shallow pike fishing at ice out is unreal and the lakers are very plentiful. They rant and rave about it. Here is one of the guides with a nice one up there....

Cody 5.JPG