Trout Opener - An ICY One for SURE!!! - Report

Leecher

Well folks, today was the day, trout opener for us up here "insert YESSSSS emotion here" :lol: Been waiting very anxiously for this date, had a very detailed plan I wanted to execute and it all got thrown out the window the minute I arrived :wallbash: Keep reading you'll understand!

But first, let's start with the details :)

Temps when I got up

DSC05454.jpg

Time I left home

DSC05455.jpg

Time I arrived at destination

DSC05456.jpg

The view of the office

DSC05457.jpg

As you can see I had very little shoreline to play with <_< Thanks to mother nature for blowing her north westerly overnight and dipping the temps to -6C :o

The only open water was in this bay on the other side.... could not go over because of private land so I had to think of another plan to execute.... the only thing I could think of, was to throw a rock to create a hole and then cast my line beyond that hole, retrieve the slack to get my sinker in it and then release the drag and hope for the best :blink:

Well that plan sounded real good at the time and I wasn't driving back just because everything was frozen..... NONONO :lol:

I got my line exactly where I wanted on the cast and positioned right, retrieve the slack and BINGO, the sinker goes down WHOOOO HOOOO :lol:

At this point I'm not overly confident to catch something but I'm hopeful :) I didn't get a sniff and I'm getting cold from the wind blowing but I kept being hopeful :) Then Paul aka Whitespinnerbait comes along with Craig aka Cprince and try to get their tinny launched.... they did get it in the water and at the same time, created open water for me :good:

The ice braker

DSC05460.jpg

Then not long after they had launched.... I get a very subtle hit :w00t: I set the hook and landed my very first & only speckle of my stay :thumbsup_anim:

13 3/4er"

DSC05461.jpg

This one was caught on the slip bobber rigs I had made last fall.... she swallowed it deep.... almost in her stomach :w00t: that is why the blood all over :) sorry :(

And this one adds inches for Team 8 :thumbsup_anim: Not the biggest but it's a start :)

DSC05463.jpg

At around noon, I decided to leave since I wasn't getting any hits.... I think that another week and the ice will go ;)

Also made a little video with additional raw footage... Enjoy!!!

Leechman

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid732.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fww321%2Fleechman1%2F2011%2FSoftwater%2FIcy%2520Trout%2520Opener%2520Apr22%25202011%2FIcyTroutOpener-April22-2011.mp4">

Edited by Leechman

Buddy almost went for a flop.That would of been a classic. :rofl2:

Do you all have different PFD laws then we do here?Looks like a barebone craft to me. :dunno:

I would suggest a 1 oz slip sinker to reach that open water, :tease:

Edited by Misfish

Buddy almost went for a flop.That would of been a classic. :rofl2:

Do you all have different PFD laws then we do here?Looks like a barebone craft to me. :dunno:

I would suggest a 1 oz slip sinker to reach that open water, :tease:

Yeah he did B :lol: but don't shoot the messenger.... I was on shore safe and sound.... just an observer :angel:

As for the 1oz sinker.... can you ship a reel spool that will hold 1000 meters of 10Lbs mono? :tease:

not sure if you would need one B....they were ice fishing ? :dunno:

Another great production Jacques you did well under the circumstances.... :thumbsup_anim:

Ice fishing is an understatement :blink::lol:

Thanks mon chum!!!

Edited by Leechman

Yea that ice doesn't look like it will be around to long seeing as the little boat was going through it but it's also still cold at night as you showed us. Looks like a beautiful spot you have there, nothing like being up north that's for sure. I don't know why I ever moved back to the big Nasty city of Hamilton lol.

awesome stuff jacques!!! i too was a little disapointed to see my lake completely iced over this morning, had to put 2x4s down since the first 5 feet from shore was open but after that further out a solid 13 inches of ice...the ice wont be out here for the next 10 days or so..still caught 3 specks and a laker..going back at 6am tommorow :clapping:

Brilliant!...love the rock throwing technique....i tried that once...realized i would need a freekin boulder to do the job though :mellow:

The boat shot is priceless....was gonna ask why they did not invite you in the boat...lol....even if there was room...like you i'd have stayed on shore.

Great report...good job on the fish too....10/10 :thumbsup_anim:

Good Report bud, love the boat shot in the ice :P

Thanks for sharing,

MTBF

Thanks Mike!!!They eventually got to open water :)

Well you caught one, that's better than none right :thumbsup_anim:

Great report, pics and video :clapping:

Now will Mother Nature please cooperate from here on out, please!!!!!!

Thanks Joey!!! That one was a real nice surprise.... it kept me from packing it in early :)

Nice Jacques!!! Going to be a bit warmer down here for our opener, lol! We're heading to an inland lake tomorrow as well, I'll see if I can up that 13 3/4"es for our team. :Gonefishing:

Thanks FRANKIE!!! Good luck to you :good:

Nice work with the fish given the circumstances

on another note, looks like you have a chevy cruze. If it is yours, what do you think of it?

Thanks Chris!!! Yes the Cruze is mine and I love it... Very economic on gas (just about 1/4 tank for round trip 215km's) :)

awesome stuff jacques!!! i too was a little disapointed to see my lake completely iced over this morning, had to put 2x4s down since the first 5 feet from shore was open but after that further out a solid 13 inches of ice...the ice wont be out here for the next 10 days or so..still caught 3 specks and a laker..going back at 6am tommorow :clapping:

Thanks Carl!!! I had about 25-30 feet to play with and the ice was not thick enough for me to venture out onto it... Sounds like you had better results then me!!! Good luck to you!

Brilliant!...love the rock throwing technique....i tried that once...realized i would need a freekin boulder to do the job though :mellow:

The boat shot is priceless....was gonna ask why they did not invite you in the boat...lol....even if there was room...like you i'd have stayed on shore.

Great report...good job on the fish too....10/10 :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Simon!!! Yeah the rock thing worked like a charm.... Got to love plan B sometimes :)

Wow, now that's persistence, nice catch.

Nice to see The Bear lost it's virginity again... :rofl2:

Thanks canuckjack!!! I don't know why they changed it in the first place :dunno: But I really prefer "The Bear" has a better punch to it :)

Too funny guys! You never know what the weather will throw at you...and you threw a rock right back at it! haha

Go team 8!!!

Thanks Chad!!! It's 16C right now.... what a change in temps :blink: hoping it melts what's left of the ice :)

awesome outing leech looks like the ss icebreaker

Thanks Corvy!!! I sure was glad when they came by :)

Lol that's awesome! No ice in sight down here buddy but I only landed 1 trout for my opener as well! Thanks for pics and funny story dude!

Thanks Ryan!!! I think the ice is a thing of the past now ;)

Thanks Corvy!!! I sure was glad when they came by :)

Thanks Ryan!!! I think the ice is a thing of the past now ;)

not here lol...was out on the ice again this morning for specks n lakers...but it was my last time on the ice it was a little scary...the ice was turning black this afternoon, by saturday il be fishing out of a boat :thumbsup_anim: i hope to see another report from you this weekend