9,9 Kicker not peeing after impellor change..

Sherriff

I replaced my impeller recently on my 86 9.9 Merc 2 stroke. I fired it up tonight for a test in a garbage pale full of water and it was peeing fine. I tried it in neutral and reverse. Within a few minutes, I noticed it had stopped peeing.

I shut it down, let it cool then pulled the lower unit off again to check the impeller. It looked perfect. I also checked for blockage as best as I could in the pee tubes and hoses.

When I ran the motor originally, I could not get forward to engage. I later found out that the problem was simply the edge of the garbage pale was jamming the linkage from going into forward. That works fine now.

Could the fact that I had the motor in reverse only with the new impeller made the splines bend into the reverse direction??

Or, should I be getting water discharge (peeing) in reverse too?

Thanks for any info.

Sherriff

My old 9.8 Merc has a thermostat just before the pee hole... have a peek and see if you have one. Could be all it is... at first fire the warmth of the day had it open... then cold water thru it closed it back up.

Other option... was the impellor you took out beat? Had a marina change my Honda impellor in 2005.. and it pee'd worse afterwards than it did before the change. Small pieces of rubber stuck in various spots in the system.

Edited by irishfield

Ah, never thought of the thermostat Wayne. I'll check tomorrow night. Also, the old impeller was fine but I had no clue when it was done by the previous owner so I did it just because. Wish I hadn't touched it now...LOL

Thanks

Also, I did notice that there was a lot of milky discharge from the exhaust ports and when I pulled the lower unit off, the exhaust area was very oily and milky. Could this just be fogging or too much oil mixture?

Thanks

Sherriff

I think I found my answer for the exhaust milky stuff.

The milky residue has 2 sources: 1) Unburnt fuel mixed with water will drip down from inside the exhaust tower. This is more prevalent with cold engines (on choke) or those run in cold water. 2) From the lower unit, coming out a seal - propshaft, rear hub carrier, driveshaft, shift shaft or filler screw.

Sherriff

Could the fact that I had the motor in reverse only with the new impeller made the splines bend into the reverse direction??

The impeller will spin in the same direction regardless of whether the motor is in forward, neutral, or reverse; so you should get water regardless of gear your in.

Just a thought, is there a key-way in the impeller, did it fall out? Has the rubber come lose from the center piece. Did you try turning the shaft before putting it back on to see the impeller turning. Maybe the pee hole is plugged with some dirt, try a small piece of wire to clean.

Just a thought.

Edited by Fish Farmer

Can you see water spraying out the exaughst? Run it with the ear muffs on it to check, this will tell you the impeller is ok. If you got water there you must have a clog in the system somewhere. Little spiders have a habit of gettin up inside the pee hose and building nests, had this happen with myne a couple times.

Good luck

Edited by hawk-eye

I had the same thing last week, it turned out that the key had fallen out of the impeller when the pump housing was installed. All the other solutions are valid as well. Just got to find out which one applies to your situation.

If you dont have a piece of wire to use to check for blockage,

Use the line on your weedeater.

If you have a weedeater then im sure you have a spool of the line lying around some where.

:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Edited by skeeter

I have to be the one to ask... Only because I've this myself.... whistling.gif

Is there any chance your new impeller was installed backwards with the splines bent in the reverse direction? When I did mine, I read the manual and was certain I had installed the new impeller correctly. I fired the motor and had a perfect stream coming out the pee hole for about 30 seconds... Then it just stopped.

Turns out I put the impeller in backwards and half the splines had tried to flip in the correct direction. I took it apart and installed it correctly. Felt pretty dumb, but I don't think I'll make that mistake again! wallbash.gif

Thanks for all the input folks.

The keyway is in and fine. I pulled everything apart a few times and checked... I am almost <_< 100% sure I have the impellor in the correct way. From what I read and from the pics in my manual, it should have the splines turned to the left and the impellor will turn clockwise.

What Wayne mentioned makes sense to me. There is a thermostat right at the pee hose so I think I will take that apart and make sure I am getting water at least to the thermostat and I can also check that it is functioning. The water was very cold. So cold in fact that it had a layer of ice on it this morning....

I'll keep ya posted

Thanks

Sherriff

I had borrowed somebodies motor one spring and I set it up in a garbage pail to check it out and make sure everything was fine. It started first pull, but after idling a bit I noticed that it wasn't peeing at all, so I said that maybe there was a thermostat, but a few minutes later (because some water was splashiung up from teh pail i heard some sizzling so I turned off teh motor. Got on teh phone and called my buddy who I had borrowed thmotor from to see if he knew why. He said when you start it make sure to give it gas and see what hapens diod that and it started peeing right away.

Try that maybe.

Fire it up and let it run Sherrif. That cold water will take a while to open the Tstat. It will take a while to get hot enough to do damage.

S.

I don't really think I'd want to try that method of destruction. I've got a thermostat in mine and it simply bypasses that part of the loop but it still squirts water at a strong steady stream. Once the tstat opens, it just re routes the water into all the cooling passages.