Fishing Before the Storm

Fang

Got up late this morning but figured I'd get in an hour of casting before doing any more reno work on the basement. Grabbed my rod and a handful of pier chucking baits and headed down to the river at around 9:00 am. It was looking pretty ugly, dark overcast but as yet no rain. Only 2 other guys on this side of the wall dunking roe and they hadn't seen anything. Rivermouth was completly blown out with muddy water and crud making casting difficult without hanging up on a twig or other stuff. They packed up and left about 30 minutes later.

Started to notice more shiners right in against the wall so switched up to a long thin rattle bait, slowed the retreive down and cast parallel along the wall. That was the ticket. 2 quick browns in about 15 minutes both about 3 lbs. Nice and shiny lake fish. Kept the same casting routine up and saw several more chasers over the next hour - lots of lure bumps but no hook ups.Finally got the hooks into a nice one around 28" , 5-6 lbs

browntrout.jpg

One heck of a fight for colder water.Ran off a bunch of line a couple times. Fished another hour and lost a real big boy that hit right at my feet along the wall. This one was still pretty dark but couldn't do anything on such a short bit of line.

Had to pack up as both my rod and my sons started buzzing and clicking as some dark storm clouds rolled over the lake. Could feel the static buzz right inot the handle and when I touched the tip of the rod to the ground it stopped. One big thunder boomer and that was the sign to get out of there!

Nice fish Paul. I got out on the river around 7:30ish after work.The river was not the best,but managed to fish for two hours before the rain hit.Lots of room to practice my casting.Much better today with a fuller pin spool.

I took one look at the river this morning and turned around and drove home. 4 inches of vis at most and on the rise. No thanks! lol