Suckers

Hello,

In the last couple of reports I'v read, guys have been catching a lot of suckers while steelheading. I'm bored out of my tree and was wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction as to where I could go to hook into some suckers. Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

If you would rather PM me, please do so

Sean

Hello,

In the last couple of reports I'v read, guys have been catching a lot of suckers while steelheading. I'm bored out of my tree and was wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction as to where I could go to hook into some suckers. Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

If you would rather PM me, please do so

Sean

few days ago, my father catch a few at humber river, while fishing for bow. old mills bridge(bloor/jane area). its just a mater of time when you will have 100s of them grabing everything you trow at them

Just remember they are bottom feeders. They will be where the trout are but so will the float fisherman so it makes bottom bouncing a tough call (you'll piss off a lot of people) But dragging a roe bag or dew worm on bottom under a float should do the trick. Just bring lots of hooks lol...

I run a downsized catfish rig on a 6' rod with 10lb braid and 4-6lb leader.

1/2oz egg sinker and bead on the braid, followed by a ball-bearing swivel. 6-8" leader and a #1 Mustad baitholder or #2 Gamakatsu octopus hook.

Most of the creeks are running a bit fast this time of year to be bottom/still fishing with a float.

Also, don't listen to the fear mongers like dave524. It's your right to fish for in-season species where legally allowed. As long as you're not parading around a 13ft rod and pretty little roe bags, no one is going to bother you.

Edited to add: Forgot the most important part: a big fat juicy nightcrawler on that hook!

Edited by bdox

Also, don't listen to the fear mongers like dave524. It's your right to fish for in-season species where legally allowed. As long as you're not parading around a 13ft rod and pretty little roe bags, no one is going to bother you.

Edited to add: Forgot the most important part: a big fat juicy nightcrawler on that hook!

I really didn't think I was fear mongering :blahblah1: I just pointed out that a lot of the creeks with sucker runs are sanctuary water until trout opener. That big fat juicy crawler, actually produces more spring steelhead for me anyway than any other bait and yes if he tries drifting those under a float in any well known trout stream before opener that is not deemed sanctuary water and says he is sucker fishing, people are going to be very suspicious. A choice of water like the lower Grand with a diversity of species would be a better bet in this regards than a more strictly trout river.