Please HELP!

Jackie

Great, here comes another problem after the prop...

I am trying to remove the drain and fill plugs (slotted head) off my 70hp Johnson to change the lower unit oil...But apparently they are tightly seized :wallbash:

I tried to give it a little knock with a hammer and small screwdriver...but it wouldn't work. I also try to heat it up with a little lighter (for like 2 mins) but it doesn't seem to be heating up at all...i can only see some fog/water building up at the spot where I flame it...and some dark burn mark which could be wipe off with cloth. But I couldn't feel any heat on the drain plug when I touch it...should I continue burning it till I feel some heating on the screws?

Before I do more harm to the motor...my question is should I even heat the screw or will this cause problems to the motor? Anyone have any ideas of how to get these screws out?

Thanks

Jackie

Edited by Jackie

What Roy said... if you can hide the screw driver in your shirt.. it's not big enough. I like one with flats for a wrench so you can turn it with the wrench while pushing in against the handle. And then don't do what the last guy did when you snug them back up!

Get yourself a longer handled flat screwdriver that FITS the screw slot EXACTLY. A rubber coated handle is even better.

Yea I got one that fits perfectly...but it still wouldn't get that sucker out... :wallbash:

ALL GOOD advice.....but you should replace those OLD screw driver slot filler caps with the new ones that use a Allen wrench instead of a slot screw driver...about $3 each and they come with new washers. ;)

AND STOP HEATING IT UP....maybe get someone to help you with this....one guy putting forward pressure with the BIG screw driver while the other guy turns the screw driver with a Crescent wrench or very small pipe wrench if the shaft of the screw driver is round and not square.

Now Get R' Done........and get back to us... :)

Bob

I had a seized drain screw a few years ago and got it loosened with a tool I borrowed from a friend that was like a spring loaded screwdriver. You put the driver bit in the screw slot then hit the other end with a hammer. It automatically twisted to the left when hit then the spring pushed it back out to be hit again.

I'd worked for about 30 minutes trying to free this screw but one smack with this gizmo and it was loose.

No idea what it was called but it sure was slick !!

ALL GOOD advice.....but you should replace those OLD screw driver slot filler caps with the new ones that use a Allen wrench instead of a slot screw driver...about $3 each and they come with new washers. ;)

AND STOP HEATING IT UP....maybe get someone to help you with this....one guy putting forward pressure with the BIG screw driver while the other guy turns the screw driver with a Crescent wrench or very small pipe wrench if the shaft of the screw driver is round and not square.

Now Get R' Done........and get back to us... :)

Bob

thanks for the advice, I will try that when my brother comes home...

yea i did a little research on the impact drive as well. Seems like it might work. Gonna try Billy Bob's method first...if it doesn't work...I am gonna get the impact driver tomorrow from Canadian tire...hope they have it...

Thank you ALL for the advice guys! Hope i can get it sort out soon so I don't miss any Crappie actions :D

yea i did a little research on the impact drive as well. Seems like it might work. Gonna try Billy Bob's method first...if it doesn't work...I am gonna get the impact driver tomorrow from Canadian tire...hope they have it...

Thank you ALL for the advice guys! Hope i can get it sort out soon so I don't miss any Crappie actions :D

Make sure you get a quality bit to fit it.

The impact driver has a tendency to break the el-cheapos.

Try what I said using two guys and tap once in a while with a hammer on the butt end of the screw driver...she'll come loose...has to as it's only aluminum....not rusted up...but DON'T over pound it because again it's only aluminum...and get the new Allen style cap screws....problem solved for next year.

Jackie, I don't know how well your mechanical skills are but if the screw driver fails I'm sure I could get that screw started using a SMALL chisel and then once it's loose go back to the screw driver. Again your only dealing with aluminum so keep that in mind if you break out the chisel.

Get R' Done

Bob

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED !!!

Bob your method of (one guy putting forward pressure with the BIG screw driver while the other guy turns the screw driver with a Crescent wrench)worked really well!! Thanks!!!

and again thank you all for helping! Good jOB GUYS!!! :clapping: really appreciated. :thumbsup_anim:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED !!!

Bob your method of (one guy putting forward pressure with the BIG screw driver while the other guy turns the screw driver with a Crescent wrench)worked really well!! Thanks!!!

and again thank you all for helping! Good jOB GUYS!!! :clapping: really appreciated. :thumbsup_anim:

Since you Got R' Done....you just might be a Redneck like me.... :rofl2:

I assume you know that that is not the method to use for putting the new ones in, eh?