Irritating motor issue

bubbles

Ok folks it's almost that time again and I would sure love to solve this issue before the season starts if at all possible.

197? Merc 500, 50HP

It takes forever to start, once it has started it will fire for the rest of the day with 1/2 a turn. It's just that initial start, sometimes it comes close to killing the battery. I am 100% confident that the motor is going to run great for the balance of the day. Sure would be nice to improve my confidence it is going to start when I get to the ramp.

This part MAY be in my head but I am convinced it starts up MUCH better on muffs in the driveway, then again I am not waiting to go fishing in the driveway so it may all be in my head.

I am not much of en engine guy but I do replace the plugs every year just to say it's done. Does not make a difference. The motor has been lie this since I bought it, 5+ years, nothing has changed.

Would love to hear some thoughts.

Almost sounds like it's having an initial fuel supply problem as in getting it up from the tank to the motor. I'd start by checking the tank line & primer bulb, then look at the diapraghm & hose on the motor itself. Not sure of the exact setup you have but it should be quite visible with the cowl off the motor.

Do you have the multiple carbs on that unit? We had one with 4 back in the day and had to take it in to get them set up - got overwhelmed ourselves.

If Bernie chimes in he'll be the one who really can help!

Good Luck!

Michael

My 04 Honda 40 four stroke; is a miserable thing to start, if I haven’t used it for a couple or 3 days. Like you said it would almost kill the battery(s) with all its farting and snorting until it got running on all three cylinders.

Had it back a couple of times while under warrantee and the only solution I/we’ve found was to drain the carbs after the days fishing was done and I wasn’t going to use it the next day.

When I go to start it the next time I pump the primer until the carbs are refilled, hit the key and she fires first time every time.

I believe in this case with my motor, it’s the small amount of fuel in the carb’s float bowls (less then an ounce in all three carbs combined) that is exposed to the atmosphere is going stale; due to the ethanol content in the fuel.

Dan.

prime the hell out of the ball, hit the choke, and turn it over. I assume that's what your doing??

Maybe your choke isn't working?? Or your bulb on the fuel line is weak. Take the cowl off while you prime the bulb......do you see fuel going to the carbs? Its either not getting enough fuel to start it, or its getting too much and flooding out.

S.

Did you pour a little mixed gas in the carb after pumping the bulb? If it starts then it's either a carb problem or the supply line. I was having starge problems before and a new bulb and line fixed me up. I can pick you up in LaSalle and head over to the Salt Mine if you get desperate.

My motor does the same thing the first time I take it out. For some odd reason I found that taking the motor cover off and letting the sun penetrate on the motor helps it to start. Although, the last time I took it out it would not start. So I took it in to get it looked at and the tech said it started fine :wallbash: . Go figure. I am now beginning to suspect that it may be the ignition wiring moving around when the boat is being towed. Check out the wiring on yours.

Other things to consider:

-Pull one plug out, crank the motor and see if the motor is getting spark

-When repeated attempts to start it fail, dry the plugs off with a lighter and put them back in, then try to start it.

I'll bet that has an electric choke on it right? What is probably happening is that the choke isn't closing properly. If you pull the cover off it, and close the choke manually I'll bet it starts fine and the rest of the day it will be perfect. The solonide that works the choke seems to wear out and although it will work the choke, it won't close it all the way. Check that out and let me know.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I gave seafoam a try yesterday (now THAT is some serious smoke), I will see if it gets any better. I have replaced the primer ball and hose in the past. There is plenty of gas getting in there. Cliff, you may be on to something with that choke, I will check it out. Madhuskie, anytime my friend, anytime. I can't wait!

Merc, jets ... hopefully something like choke that would be an easy fix.

I have the same problem with my carbed. 150 unless the cranking battery is fully charged. So I charge it every time the boat is used. What's the shape of your spark pluges? Mine seems to flood easily so I go minimal with the choke.

try removeing the fuel lines or shut off fuel supply when you put it back on the trailer.sometimes on carb type motors the float bounces around when your truck'n down the road flooding the engine.i had a black max 50 that took for ever to start at the ramp till i discovered that.plug in fuel line prime the crap out of it crank it and away it would go.