Vhf radio

walleyejack

Am looking to buy a vhf radio to keep an eye on lake O and updates,I am looking for any input or advice on the purchase of any particular unit,I see lots of different brands out there for $99.I am thinking they are just as good as anything,appreciate any input

Am looking to buy a vhf radio to keep an eye on lake O and updates,I am looking for any input or advice on the purchase of any particular unit,I see lots of different brands out there for $99.I am thinking they are just as good as anything,appreciate any input

I have an Icom IC-M304.

Great little radio and will integrate with an onboard GPS to broadcast your location during an emergency.

Keep in mind that the cheper models don't have this feature.

One of the main reaons I purchased this model was it's tiny size. I wanted to flush mount it in my console to keep the area neat and tidy.

Icom IC-M304

A couple of shots with it mounted in the boat to get an idea of it's size.

Front

front.jpg

Back

reverse.jpg

Mounted in the boat

new.jpg

VHF radios along with other types must pass an industry standard to be allowed to be licenced. Most all brands fall well within, some slightly better. Some have more "features" but that doesn't make them a technically better radio. For the few dollars more I would pay the extra for DSC. That's automatic GPS transmission when your butts drinking lakewater and the SS Minnow is sinking.

I have an Icom IC-M304.

Great little radio and will integrate with an onboard GPS to broadcast your location during an emergency.

Keep in mind that the cheper models don't have this feature.

One of the main reaons I purchased this model was it's tiny size. I wanted to flush mount it in my console to keep the area neat and tidy.

Icom IC-M304

A couple of shots with it mounted in the boat to get an idea of it's size.

Front

front.jpg

Back

reverse.jpg

Mounted in the boat

new.jpg

nice job there for sure,I have been looking at a couple of those modles and the Lowrance LVR250

all the ones i looked at had 25 w min, and dsc

thanks

One feature I had with my old radio that I really miss with my new one was the ability to scan preset channels.

For example I would program 16,68,72 and it would just scan all these so I could hear friends calling me.

My new one only scan's 16 and one other preset.

It also has a feature to scan all channels but in the Toronto you pic up everything and this feature is a waste of time.

My 2 cents

For the course call your local power boat squadron or call The Coast Guard Station

Whatever radio you buy, you would be wise to have a DSC radio and register the MMSI number(Maritime Mobile Service Identity)

http://www.ccg-gcc.g...g/CCG/MCTS_Mmsi

Like lew said you need to do a course.

The radio I use and it stays attached to me at all times on the water is a Standard Horizon HX850S it floats is water proof has excellent range a GPS and DSC. I also have a Standard Horizon fixed unit in the boat that i have tied to the chartplotter with the same capabilities (this is good assuming I dont fall out of the boat or lose power)hand held backup I fish alone quite a bit

MMSI and DSC in a nut shell if you hit the panic button the GPS will lock your position and send an emergency alert this will be packaged with your Lat and Long and MMSI# which has some very specific information about you your boat emergency contacts and and most important your position.YOU ARE A VERY SMALL SPEC ON A LARGE BODY OF WATER worse when its rough an exact point in the water is very usful to others if needed. Is this a smart choice I truly believe it is the service is in place its free and TIME COUNTS

Sorry I posted this before it was long I can't edit it but you get the idea

Peter

Good luck

For the course call your local power boat squadron or call The Coast Guard Station

Whatever radio you buy, you would be wise to have a DSC radio and register the MMSI number(Maritime Mobile Service Identity)

http://www.ccg-gcc.g...g/CCG/MCTS_Mmsi

Like lew said you need to do a course.

The radio I use and it stays attached to me at all times on the water is a Standard Horizon HX850S it floats is water proof has excellent range a GPS and DSC. I also have a Standard Horizon fixed unit in the boat that i have tied to the chartplotter with the same capabilities (this is good assuming I dont fall out of the boat or lose power)hand held backup I fish alone quite a bit

MMSI and DSC in a nut shell if you hit the panic button the GPS will lock your position and send an emergency alert this will be packaged with your Lat and Long and MMSI# which has some very specific information about you your boat emergency contacts and and most important your position.YOU ARE A VERY SMALL SPEC ON A LARGE BODY OF WATER worse when its rough an exact point in the water is very usful to others if needed. Is this a smart choice I truly believe it is the service is in place its free and TIME COUNTS

Sorry I posted this before it was long I can't edit it but you get the idea

Peter

Good luck

thanks Peter, usefull info for sure