Simcoe Perchin

Headhunter

With this week's weather seeming to stay somewhat cooler, I'm hoping to get out again this Sunday.

Has anyone been out lately, can give me an idea about conditions...Should I be thinking Cook's or is the main body still available?

Thanks,

HH

Edited by Headhunter

With this week's weather seeming to stay somewhat cooler, I'm hoping to get out again this Sunday.

Has anyone been out lately, can give me an idea about conditions...Should I be thinking Cook's or is the main body still available?

Thanks,

HH

Was out on Sunday.2 ft. of water at the shore. Lots of ice off Willow but take your cleats.

people who have seen me on a skidoo know that doing just that and lots more is well within my play book....

but the people going with me seem to disagree with my need for speed

Joe

yeah I might get out one or two more times

Edited by Terry

Guest gbfisher

people who have seen me on a skidoo know that doing just that and lots more is well within my play book....

but the people going with me seem to disagree with my need for speed

I was out on Sunday on a bike. Most places on the west side are getting bad but there will still be some ons left by the weekend for walking. Just need to check a few is all.

Edited by gbfisher

Sleds were running the lake on the weekend. Noticed some areas with open water at the shoreline. Rivers and any culvert areas were open. Lady Simcoe should be making ice over the next few days. Forecast for Keswick has -6 tonight and cold for the rest of the week.

Might be OK for the following weekend depending on the rain. Ice fishing in April!! (maybe) (Sorry to all those wanting to get the boat out.)

Forecast

I was out last saturday am at Willow and yesterday pm at Sibbald Pt. Didnt measure but estimate 16-18 inches of ice, maybe less in spots. Shorelines were OK at both to get on and off. There are cracks forming and the ice is getting that grey colour on top. Caught a mess of small perch especially yesterday. Very few good sized fish for me but a buddy did get some on Saturday. Yesterday for a change the perch seemed to be more males vs. females.

I was out last saturday am at Willow and yesterday pm at Sibbald Pt. Didnt measure but estimate 16-18 inches of ice, maybe less in spots. Shorelines were OK at both to get on and off. There are cracks forming and the ice is getting that grey colour on top. Caught a mess of small perch especially yesterday. Very few good sized fish for me but a buddy did get some on Saturday. Yesterday for a change the perch seemed to be more males vs. females.

Did you fish the slush at Sibbald or go out deeper to avoid it? I did real well 2 Sundays ago fishing in 16 FOW just at the outside edge of the slush...but still in it. Had a coffee can on a tomato stake rigged up to "spoon" the slush out with first. Sibbald is pretty much always my last ice spot...the access behind the building stays good right till the bitter end. But fighting with the slush and paying $8 to park has turned me off. I have found another spot to do my last ice perching from that's free, has no slush and so far isn't getting pounded.

Anywhere from est 10-35 FOW, small fish caught in all holes. The slush wasnt too bad, just more scooping than usual. I've fished there a number of years ago when the slush was brutal but the the fishing was good, just needed a big split shot a couple feet up, s ski pole and a push.

I've fished there a number of years ago when the slush was brutal but the the fishing was good

My one good perch fishing buddy and I still talk about that year from time to time. I have not came close to having a spot produce the numbers and quality of fish we got that winter through the slush at Sibbalds.