Where Have All The Jack Rabbits Gone?

Photoz

I've been on this board since way y y y back when carp fishin' was to be laughed about. I think I've seen just about every topic there is, touched upon, and in the last few years, photographs to go with 'em, with the notable exception of jack rabbits? It's been 30 years since I've seen one in the wild . . . .. it used to be quite common to seen them while driving the back roads in Southern Ontario, and in many of the 'wild' areas around Toronto, such as the Don Valley, all along the Scarborough Bluffs, etc. Like their smaller cousin, the snowshoe, they made a delicious stew! Anybody out there seen a jack rabbit in the past few years . . . . or are they extinct?

They are still here but few and far between. The last one I saw was a few years ago. I don't think the coyote was the reason for their disappearance but are the reason they will never make a come back. Same with pheasant. At one time they were so numerous around here that as a kid I got one by hitting it with a rock. They are gone too.

We have had our problems with pheasants here in WNY also....at one time I only need to drive 1/2 mile to get a limit......now that's impossible no matter how far you drive....

But as far a bunnies go.......they go in cycles and unless you hunt them you don't have a good handle on them....some years they may be abundant but you're just not seeing them from the road. They as a whole are one tough creature that know how to survive and prosper on the good years...you must of heard the say.....they multiply like rabbits...that's why there's so many of them... :o

Guest gbfisher

We saw two last season while ridding a field of Ground Hogs and they didn't seem to mind watching their ground burrowing cousins disappear......pooof.....There goes anudder. :dunno:

There aren't a lot of them thats for sure.

" Snowshoe hare populations fluctuate cyclically about once a decade—possibly because of disease. These waning and waxing numbers greatly impact the animals that count on hares for food, particularly the lynx."

- Quote from National Geographic.

Now, Cottontail are different, no lack of them around here. I was out this morning and we had a 5 dog pack on the ground. The dogs tracked 3 different rabbits (had visual on 2 of them), for about an hour each.

No hare in this area.

Edited by nofish4me

Funny you should ask .. heh .. was raking the front yard yesterday .. and didnt I find about 3 lbs of FRESH looking pellets in a little bush RIGHT OUTSIDE my front door !!!! I guess the little darlin sat there through most of the winter watchin us come and go .. smiling at us ... never ONCE saw the little varmint all winter .. gone for good now almost certainly :)

Of course ... forgot to mention (much to the horror of Mrs camillj) ... we saw a BIG FAT hawk in the crook of a maple about 10 feet above our deck .. right where (shall we call her 'tubbo' (misty) the cat sits on her mid-afternoon sun-bathing session .... eeeks ... me thinks misty will be sunbathing inside and mr. floppy-ears is gone to the bufetteria so to speak :)

Edited by camillj

Lot's of rabbits in my area (Northern Dufferin) Though not as many as the cottontail , jacks are around . I see them late at night hopping around the neighbourhood .Actually when you get closer to them they are not hopping but "flying" they are really quick !!!

I've been on this board since way y y y back when carp fishin' was to be laughed about. I think I've seen just about every topic there is, touched upon, and in the last few years, photographs to go with 'em, with the notable exception of jack rabbits? It's been 30 years since I've seen one in the wild . . . .. it used to be quite common to seen them while driving the back roads in Southern Ontario, and in many of the 'wild' areas around Toronto, such as the Don Valley, all along the Scarborough Bluffs, etc. Like their smaller cousin, the snowshoe, they made a delicious stew! Anybody out there seen a jack rabbit in the past few years . . . . or are they extinct?

I walked in a field on the south side of Rice lake 30 yrs ago and counted over 100 dead jacks in less than a 1 acre area!!!! A virus has decimated them.

But as far a bunnies go.......they go in cycles and unless you hunt them you don't have a good handle on them....

x2

you need to be out walking fields and fence rows to have a true idea of their population. i'd say we're in the "low" part of their cycle considering i've seen a steady decline over the last few years. considering how much energy it would require to chase down a jack, i wonder how often yotes actually target adult hares?

Some of the toughest prey animals are peoples pet cats and dogs. My outdoor cats and the neighbors barns cat were seen all the time carrying young rabbits and birds.

and that right there is why most cats (excluding FIXED barn cats) should be kept indoors. people are so quick to blame yotes for seeing fewer small game animal and birds when it's really cats that have a bigger impact. its rather frustrating when people allow their cats to roam the wild killing as they please and it's even worse when the cats arent fixed. trying to convince cat owners that little fluffy shouldnt be killing all kinds of turkey poults, grouse, rabbit, songbirds, etc is nearly impossible. :rolleyes:

Edited by ch312