carp on a fly

Marko

Hey guys how is it going. With carp season fast approaching i am wanting to give this a try. I have never fly fished before, i am just wondering what would be a decent set up for about 150-200bucks.

I know there are some great carp fishermen on this board so please chime in.

There are couple of places where they just pool up on a really warm day and sun tan all day long. I think a fly would be a killer there!

Basically I would need everything a beginner would need. Rod, reel, line and some assorted common carp flies i guess.

Thank you

Marko,

Pretty sure you can get a set up for that much. Make sure its at least an 8 weight...Also,

This thread got me inspired to do something I've always talked about but never did. Heres the beginning of some corn flies I'm going to try. They are the yellow ear plugs you see around in shops. Chopped them up and now in the process of tying them onto a type of hair rig fly...I'll post some pics when they are done..

DSC03232.JPG

Here ya go !! This is a pattern I found while googling...

Cut the chunks of ear plug foam into corn sized pieces. Ran some mono through them and knotted both sides of the kernel(foam)and then tied them to a weighted hook and head cemented generously. I guess the idea is to scent the fly before casting it out to the carp..I can't wait !!

DSC03235.JPG

DSC03241.JPG

There's an 8/9 weight rod for sale on here > http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52000

Nothing to do with me but that plus a cheapish disc drag reel (you need a good drag for carp!) and a 9 weight line (Something like a bass taper to cast bigger flies) and you'd be up and running for less than $200 I reckon.

For reels take a look here - the Okuma SLV is very good (I have one in 4/5) or the Amundson Rocky Mountain would do the job too, not so sure about the plastic ones.

Like those corn flies Chris - not sure what size hook that is but you might want to shorten the hairs, I've seen carp feeding on the surface come up and put their lips round baits and drop down again rather than sucking them in and I think they could take the 'corn' but not the hook the way you have them now. Feel free to tell me to mind my own business :)

Hey guys thank you for all the replies.

First, great video Lorne. I have never seen carp surface like that in moving waters here. Only places i`ve seen them surface like that were deep slow moving pools.

I got in touch with Stephen, he suggested couple of things and he said he was going to take me out few times. Apparently he is an avid carp fly fisherman. Very generous on his part!

Yea i 8wt is what i am after and a decent reel with a nice drag system. I wont cheap out on line...I usually dont cheap out on my tackle. More often then not you get what you pay for.

Would you recommend http://flymart.ca/default.aspx?ctl=ctl_ec_product&category_id=105&product_id=1102 in size 5/6 over okuma SLV??

Yea i 8wt is what i am after and a decent reel with a nice drag system. I wont cheap out on line...I usually dont cheap out on my tackle. More often then not you get what you pay for.

Would you recommend http://flymart.ca/default.aspx?ctl=ctl_ec_product&category_id=105&product_id=1102 in size 5/6 over okuma SLV??

If you're fishing with and 8 weight rod, you need an 8 weight line (or maybe a 9) and a reel that can hold teh line and plenty of backing so you need a 7/8 model in that reel. Fly lines are generally around 90 feet long and a decent carp will take that easily, then you're into your backing. Backing is usually 20lb dacron or similar and you generally have 100yds or so under your fly line.

In all honesty, I'd go for the SLV and spend the extra $20 on leader, tippet and flies. You won't be cheaping out doing that, the Okuma is a good reel for your needs, just make sure you get one that will hold a WF8 (weight forward taper, 8 weight) line plus 100yds+ of backing. Of course if you want the bling.... ;)

Hey Marko . Here's some more inspiration for you.

We just got word on our carp forum of a fly chucker that caught this.It bottomed his scale out at 23 kg. That is over 50 lbs!

fly rod fatty resized.jpg

His name is Luis and he is an avid carp angler in Mexico. He caught this super fatty with an 8lb leader and a San Juan worm. It not only is a mirror but a linear mirror. For you non carp guys this is a very very rare bird for North America.

Here ya go !! This is a pattern I found while googling...

Cut the chunks of ear plug foam into corn sized pieces. Ran some mono through them and knotted both sides of the kernel(foam)and then tied them to a weighted hook and head cemented generously. I guess the idea is to scent the fly before casting it out to the carp..I can't wait !!

Works for chinnoks toowhistling.gif