NF - any garage builders in the house?

I have an opportunity to get a FREE 30 x 40 steel barn style garage... It'll need a front wall and back wall, a slab, and a garage door.

What I want to figure out is if it's going to save me money or if I should just wait and build a regular garage some day.

Rough 30 x 40 slab price?

Rough price for a standard 30 x 40 garage?

I live in the middle of nowhere so I can't just call a local contractor and most of the contractors I looked up in the citybare closed today.

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

this is just off The top of my head and is just an estimate... the price I was qoute for a while a go for a job was $150.00/meter of concrete 3'x3'x4"..I can't remember if it was 4" or 6" ....

Trucks I think can hold 11 yds of concrete. pouring a slab is not that hard you just have to make sure you put your rebar and steel mesh in. doing some research on the net will come up with alot of slab type foundations. The price I gave you is just an estimate from a local concrete guy from around my neck of the woods.

I hope this helps: a little

this is just off The top of my head and is just an estimate... the price I was qoute for a while a go for a job was $150.00/meter of concrete 3'x3'x4"..I can't remember if it was 4" or 6" ....

Trucks I think can hold 11 yds of concrete. pouring a slab is not that hard you just have to make sure you put your rebar and steel mesh in. doing some research on the net will come up with alot of slab type foundations. The price I gave you is just an estimate from a local concrete guy from around my neck of the woods.

I hope this helps: a little

Hey bunker thanks! I'm fishing around online for info as well.... I used to help poor pool decks and shed slabs as a summer job so I think I can handle it as well but no idea what the concrete costs.... So thanks for your input.

Its 200/yard up here.

my guess would be 12-15 yards is what you would need.

A 24x24 - with pad, framed, siding, soffit, facia,window, man door and garage door is usally around $14,000.

I'd like to see pics of that mercer guy pouring some concrete with ya!

Edited by TDunn

Its 200/yard up here.

my guess would be 12-15 yards is what you would need.

A 24x24 - with pad, framed, siding, soffit, facia,window, man door and garage door is usally around $14,000.

I'd like to see pics of that mercer guy pouring some concrete with ya!

Hey brother... That's a cubic yard right? And you figure to be safe it'd take at least 15 yards for a 30 x 40 slab?

ummmm...we're in canada folks. when you order concrete around here you're asking for cubic meters, not yards :P

it's not as simple as pouring a slab and building your garage on it. you need to look at the soil/base in your area, what's going to be in your shop (weight), and even style of garage. a roof that size will hold a lot of snow/weight in the winter and you're slab needs to be able to support it. you don't want to put all this money into the garage just to have problems 5 years from now.

i highly doubt you'll get away with pouring a simple slab on grade. at the very least you'll be looking at a monolithic slab (google it). the proper way would involve pouring footings and then a 4ft frost wall to properly support the structure and avoid heaving.

slab = 14m

monolithic = 18m

footings and frost walls = 26m

"A" gravel = 20 yards or so

for 32mpa with air you're probably looking at $160-$180/meter

A gravel is around $30/yard (most don't use metric)

wire mesh is $8-9 per 4x8 sheet

10m rebar is $9-11 per 20ft length

take the cost of materials and multiply it by 2.5 to get a rough idea of how much a contractor will charge you for the concrete.

Edited by ch312

Hey brother... That's a cubic yard right? And you figure to be safe it'd take at least 15 yards for a 30 x 40 slab?

Ya I would think Ryan and yes thats a cubic yard. I couldnt tell you forsure but there is a math equation that will tell you I think. My boss cheats and uses a construction calculator for that.

Concrete work is fairly easy. Just makesure your forms are square and level before you pour. Laser levels come in handy for this.

Rebar the outside(footing) and fill the middle with mesh if you don't want to rebar the entire pad. After your done pouring is when the babysitting begins. There is also an accelerator you can put in the concrete that helps speed up the process of hardening. If you have no experience finishing the pad you might want some help for someone who has but you did say you finished pool pads. I'm not sure if your looking for a brushed look or a smooth, glossy floor.

Edited by TDunn

i highly recommend a polished finish on your slab to make cleanup and sweeping MUCH easier. that smooth floor will also make it much easier to wheel things around. you'd be surprised by how smooth and shiny of a floor you could have.

i know the OP has experience with shed slabs and pool decks, but something this size is a totally different job that's best left to the pro's.

i highly recommend a polished finish on your slab to make cleanup and sweeping MUCH easier. that smooth floor will also make it much easier to wheel things around. you'd be surprised by how smooth and shiny of a floor you could have.

i know the OP has experience with shed slabs and pool decks, but something this size is a totally different job that's best left to the pro's.

^^^^^Agreed! Did slabs for 5 years and dont miss it!

Edited by TDunn

Hey guys thanks for all the awesome info! I completely forgot that my wifes cousin does this for a living! :wallbash: I know he'd be glad to help me out so no worries on that front. But the advice here is great anyways because that dude is basking in the sun in florida right now for the march break! I'm going to put some thought into this...

Thanks again

Hey Ryan,

I would love to hear how this project pans out as you go along. It is something I will be looking at down the road and would like to know more about your experiences.

Keep us up to date!

Thanks

I'll keep you posted for sure! I have some basement renos going on right now otherwise it'd be a no brainer. And having a garage is a luxury, not a necessity for me. The only advantage of doing it now is that I can do it for a discounted price and it'd increase the value of my property. Living out in the county means people who want to buy your house also want a garage. It's a bit of a pipe dream but could become a reality if all the stars align.

This is what has been offered to me but half that size. Like I said, it needs a front a back and a slab/footing.

32f98761.jpg

Cheers,

Ryan

Last year I put up an 18 x 24 ft with loft, and am at about $18000 now, and just need to put a chimney in and insulate. Included in that are slab, top quality 9x7 garage door, man door, 3 4x4 windows, siding, 30 year fiberglass shingles and 100% ice and water sheild, sofit and facia, as well as a set of good stairs that go up to the loft, oh and all wired up too.

The slab cost was $5500 with 12" around the outside, 6" throughout the rest, and lots of mesh and rebar, wanted to over do it a bit just to be sure.

My brother inlaw put up a hut like the one you are looking at, and it was a big pain in the but, leaks, is cold, and is like being in a big culvert. I would build with wood again anyday, in a traditional sense.

Entropy

Last year I put up an 18 x 24 ft with loft, and am at about $18000 now, and just need to put a chimney in and insulate. Included in that are slab, top quality 9x7 garage door, man door, 3 4x4 windows, siding, 30 year fiberglass shingles and 100% ice and water sheild, sofit and facia, as well as a set of good stairs that go up to the loft, oh and all wired up too.

The slab cost was $5500 with 12" around the outside, 6" throughout the rest, and lots of mesh and rebar, wanted to over do it a bit just to be sure.

My brother inlaw put up a hut like the one you are looking at, and it was a big pain in the but, leaks, is cold, and is like being in a big culvert. I would build with wood again anyday, in a traditional sense.

Entropy

Good wisdom, and experience in this post!

Leave the steel for the farm implement shed, IMO

Like Entropy... Free isn't always the cheapest route Ryan and if it's not comfortable you'll never use it. I look at quansuts as an eye sore and of no significant increase to a properties value.

I think I have $45k in my 30 x 60.. probably cost you $55k these days to build.

8 course block foundation, 2 x 6 walls with 10 foot ceiling, 60 ' span truss roof (so snow doesn't come down in front of doors) 5 - 9 x 9 Garaga insulated doors (don't go any smaller than that!), 6 inch cement slab, R52 ceilng/ R20 walls, Galvinized ceiling.. drywall'd walls. 6kw heater barely works to keep it 52F all winter... small parlor stove from my Gramma's on Glamour Lake keeps it toasty with about 8 logs / full work day.

man.. it's been a long time since it looked that clean! lol

shop2.jpg

shop3.jpg

shop4.jpg

Edited by irishfield

Here is a not so good pic, I have better on another card. The $5500 for the pad was installed, smooth surface for ease of clean up. All the rest I did myself, it was the biggest I was allowed to build on my lot. Oh, I also bought and paid for a garage door company for the door and instal, opener included. All material were locally bought at family owned bus', and windows and man door are from Canada Windows and Doors.

Bought a decent wood stove and 17 ft of chimney, just need to put if up and get it cert.

Building inspector in my area was great, told me to connect it to the house some how, and I could build it as big as I want.

I think you could put the shell up for about $14000, floor included. It's all the extra that kills you, like wanting a roof that would not leak in 20 years, but sill wanting shingles, electrical fixtures, and wire, nice energy start windows (better than what is in my house).

Good luck.

I would check with the local building department because CH312 was correct,garages normally would require at least a 4 foot frost wall be built for the foundation, just a slab is normally not adequate for a garage like it is for a shed. Have done plenty of foundation walls in Hamilton and the GTA for garages when working for the forming company. The Ready Mix companies will be able to help you with the proper concrete required and amounts if given the dimensions and slab depths, and up here it is cubic meters not cubic yards. Get in touch with me if you need any densifiers, epoxy floor coatings or trench drains for the shop, I now work for construction materials supply company and can help you with any things you might want to add. Best of luck with the job.

Edited by express168

express, where abouts do you work? we use a few different places in hamilton for the majority of our supplies and may have met before...

I am the Outside Rep for the Hamilton Location of Form and Build Supply. If you work in concrete in the area there is a good chance you have been in, if not come by sometime and ask for Jerry. We are on Lancing Drive off of Nebo Road.