looking to buy new life jacket

skinny

ok curently when out I do ot wear my jacket I'm either sitting on it or it's not far away. I do feel that it should be worn but I find them not comfortable. I have been seriously thinking of a self inflating type. but I'm on a budget to. I have seen some Mustang brand at shows for 115.00 ish. I have been eyeballing te BPS brand in the cataog. Can anyone tell me any reasons not to but a inflateable jacket.

There are a couple on sale at bass pro shops right now you can get for cheaper. I don't wear mine when I'm just using the minn kota or still fishing lol. But always when I'm moving I put it on. I got one for 50 Bucks a few years ago and it's nothing fancy no foam up your back just around your waist to your ribs. If your trolling or just moving, going for a boat ride its good you can still fish in it just if your casting all day it would be annoying but still worth it. I have the one that's like Bass Pro Shops Deluxe mesh top that's on sale for $39.94 right now. Just as good as any other of that style. As for the inflatable ones you can get a couple that are Bass Pro Shops brand for $99.94. Decent ones to and they all have to be Certified so they're all going to work the same to an point.

Edited by Live2fish85

Think of it this way, IF you needed it to work, at that time would you be worried about the cost of it? And if it did not work would you regret the extra money you spent getting a proven tool? I have a mustang inflatable and put it on when I line up for the ramp and take it off when I pull the plug. It is very comfortable and I do not notice it when I am fishing.

Your right with the facts that if I need it then the money spent is worth it. I'm leaning toward the inflateable for the same reason as you have stated conort and put it on when I aproch ramp with the boat and take it off when boat is on trailer and I'm packing up. it's not that I have herd anything bad about the inflatables but just want to make sure before spending the $$$$

Personally, I'd rather have something that floats once I hit the water. I don't want it to have to rely on me to pull anything because if I am in the water it's most likely due to me flying out of the boat somehow. So, for me, it would be an automatic inflatable or a standard PFD. Probably best to go try a bunch on. Now is a good time to buy at the fishing show, Bass Pro Shop (sale to 27th) or Le Baron (tax fee until 20th and they have a Mustang inflatable vest as a web special for $90).

Good luck!

An inflatable is tough to beat. I have a manual model. I was kicking around the idea of getting an automatic until I went through the locks with the OPP boat behind me and I struck up a conversation with the officers, they have had problems with the automatic PFDs blowing up unintentionally when stored wet on the boat. There is a pill that dissolves quickly in them that triggers the arming mechanism, the pill tends to dissolve when it's stored damp and after a while will pop the vest. There are also fairly comfortable foam options available from Lebaron's and BPS that are cheaper. I'd say try a few on and then make your decision.

Marine safety is not an area to compromise. What's your life worth?

With that said, here is my recommendation:

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/hydrostatic-inflatable-pfd/index.php

I wear mine all the time and you barely notice it, in fact, many times I find I'm still wearing it when I go to get the truck and trailer to pull the boat out of the water...doh! thumbsup_anim.gif

2 WORDS

Inherently buoyant

I will not do Autos or Manuals

but hey its your choice

http://www.salusmari...roduct/sar.html

The 660 is a great vest very high mobility and you will always float thumbsup_anim.gif

Good point Bitme, except when it's 33 degrees in summer...you will be dying in those and taking them off before you overheat laugh.gif Thus cancelling out the life saving properties of the PFD.

The other thing is the level of floatation...I can't remember the exact #'s but inherently bouyant vests almost always have less lbs floatation than quality inflatables.

Whatever you decide, the fact that you're making a concious effort about your safety is great. good.gif

An inflatable is tough to beat. I have a manual model. I was kicking around the idea of getting an automatic until I went through the locks with the OPP boat behind me and I struck up a conversation with the officers, they have had problems with the automatic PFDs blowing up unintentionally when stored wet on the boat. There is a pill that dissolves quickly in them that triggers the arming mechanism, the pill tends to dissolve when it's stored damp and after a while will pop the vest. There are also fairly comfortable foam options available from Lebaron's and BPS that are cheaper. I'd say try a few on and then make your decision.

Mustang Auto Inflatables use hydrostatic pressure to activate... you can get swamped by waves or pounding rain all day and they won't go off until you fall into the water! :thumbsup_anim:

Fishing partner had one of those hydrostatic mustangs and it went off in the rod locker. While the boat was tied up at th dock during a rain storm. I wear a normal mustang lifejacket when under power or when fishing alone. When the boat is on trolling motor my lifejacket comes off and sits on the seat. May not be the greatest attitude but that's what I do. I just don't trust the inflatables. Although they are comfortable I have worn one a few times.

Fishing partner had one of those hydrostatic mustangs and it went off in the rod locker. While the boat was tied up at th dock during a rain storm. I wear a normal mustang lifejacket when under power or when fishing alone. When the boat is on trolling motor my lifejacket comes off and sits on the seat. May not be the greatest attitude but that's what I do. I just don't trust the inflatables. Although they are comfortable I have worn one a few times.

weird... I've worn mine in down-pooring rain and have been swamped by waves with no issues. The only time I ever saw one go off was when I saw somebody jump in the lake wearing one.