Worms for Fly-In

sneak_e_pete

Hi there, looking to get some worms for a fly-in. They need to be in bedding rather than soil and I am looking at bringing around 100-150...any ideas on how to get them/do this?

I say this in the most facetious way possible.

First,buy the worms, then buy some bedding. Then pack the worms in the bedding and place them in a suitable container. :lol:

I say this in the most facetious way possible.

First,buy the worms, then buy some bedding. Then pack the worms in the bedding and place them in a suitable container. :lol:

Lol.

When I went to a fly-in lodge last year I brought in about 120 worms. To do so I picked up a Frabill Worm Habitat and some worm bedding. The bedding is basically shredded paper that you add water too [you must squeeze it out so it's just damp, not soaked]. Some people like the Fat & Sassy bedding since you don't need to add water.

I researched a couple of bait shops that were on my route, stopped in and bought some worms [although, I am sure it's cheaper to order a bunch ahead of time]. Removed the worms from the dirt or moss they were in and added them to the container containing the prepared bedding [i prepared my bedding in the hotel we stayed at overnight en route to our fly out location]. Taped up the sides of the box with packing tape and labeled it with my name. Stored it overnight in the fridge. Took what I needed for the day each morning and returned what I didn't use at the end of the day.

They were still fat and juicy at the end of my trip. I still had at least half the worms left at the end of the week and donated them to the lodge. Returned home with an empty container and half my bedding for next time!

Thanks...kinda gathered the general process of buying worms and putting them in bedding. However, the places I know sell them in soil and they are also quite expensive per dozen...was looking for alternatives.

Most places will sell a flat of 500, sometimes half a flat.

When I fly in for a week I always bring a flat..

Your trip, your choice, but is bringing live worms on a fly-in worth it?

I've never been, but I am going this fall.

I just figured with weight restrictions and "beverage" requirements that baits in bedding would be something worth not bringing. :dunno:

Take lots of photos and let us know how it goes. :thumbsup_anim:

Your trip, your choice, but is bringing live worms on a fly-in worth it?

I've never been, but I am going this fall.

I just figured with weight restrictions and "beverage" requirements that baits in bedding would be something worth not bringing. :dunno:

Take lots of photos and let us know how it goes. :thumbsup_anim:

Well I'll assume we'll be fishing together Rob since the other guys are bringing their sons.

There will be worms in my boat. ;)

Even on the most virgin of waters tipping your jig with half a worm will result in waaaay more walleye.

Well I'll assume we'll be fishing together Rob since the other guys are bringing their sons.

There will be worms in my boat. ;)

Even on the most virgin of waters tipping your jig with half a worm will result in waaaay more walleye.

No issues with that. The weight comes out of your quota. :good:

I have only been on three different fly in's and all I have to say is if you need worms on said fly in you should be choosing another fly in outfitter....

I'll catch as many if not more using black bucktail jigs then someone using worms.

I have only been on three different fly in's and all I have to say is if you need worms on said fly in you should be choosing another fly in outfitter....

I'll catch as many if not more using black bucktail jigs then someone using worms.

How do those bucktails look on a worm harness?

I'd assume a wee bit funny.

I recently bought Nightcrawler Secrets, books 1 and 2. Lots of good information. All nightcrawlers aren't the same.

Lunkers love nightcrawlers is another good reading source.

I am surprised there is actually a book dedicated to Nightcrawlers, let alone three!!!! I have to check these out.

Longer than the gulp worm? or a real worm? I haven't had as much luck with gulp leaches compared to the worms, but I keep using them.

Real worm :)

Although on the few flyins I've been on, you could use rope on a harness and catch fish, lol.

Hey I didn't say you wouldn't catch lots of fish on a fly in without bait, just that you'll catch even more.

What can I say I'm greedy. :dunno::lol:

I'll guarantee you the walleye fishing out of Folyet doesn't hold a candle to what you'll find north of Nakina.

Anyhow Rob, we can test this out scientific-like next September.

Gulp VS Live Worms

Get ready to ruuumble!

:D