Barometric Pressure - Fact Or Fiction?

ccmtcanada

What Factors Are Ideal for Fishing?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Do you look at the following when determining when and where to fish?

• Barametric Pressure
    • Moon Phase
    • Wind Speed/Direction
    • Barametric Pressure & Moon Phase
    • Barametric Pressure & Wind Speed/Direction
    • Moon Phase & Wind Speed/Direction
    • All Three
    • None...it's just a conspiracy
    • Just go fish already!

Wind speed and moon phase are all important for walleye shore fishing. A night with no wind but full moon means walleyes are not coming into the shallow, the moon light is bright enough for them to fill up their tummy in deeper water.

Took the words right out of my mouth! and I get out twice a week in the summer! haha

Good Fishin'

UF

I am in the same boat. Why spend all that time tracking wind, pressure, solunar tables, etc. only to find out that the best time to go fishing is right in the middle of the meeting with our biggest client :wallbash:

Maybe when I am retired ...

Edited by JohnBacon

We've found that a dropping barometer isn't the only indicator with where we fish. The best fishing has been when it's dropping and BELOW 102kPa. If the pressure is dropping and still over 102kPa, the bite is never on for us. For some reason, that's the magic pressure.

A lot of the fishing I did the last 30 years was schedualed events or vacations, had to take what I got. Tournies weren`t called off or delayed unless safety was an issue, vacations weren`t re-schedualed because the weather wasn`t going to be perfect.

Only fished in two small tournies that no one caught a legal fish, some big ones had very poor results that were probably weather related, if you don`t go? you don`t learn to adapt?

I like it to be about 75, sunny or a little overcast, gentle breeze, a rich attractive woman in a bikini driving the boat and serving me my coffee. I don`t get what I want though.

Early spring trolling for lakers, I've had some of my best days with a north east wind and overcast skies but in those conditions I fish the windward shorelines. My best pike fishing has come on bluebird days with bright sun and little wind. Downrigging for salmon, I only watch the wind because it can get dicey pretty quick on big water. Don't fish walleye much so I don't pay much attention to conditions when I accidently run into one.

I go fishing mostly when the mood strikes or when milady drags me out the door with fishing rod in hand.

I chose all three, but I fish whenever I can. It definitely does affect my confidence though.... Full moon and storm approaching yeehaa!

Fished a little bay a couple of years ago that I hadn't fished in years as it never produced. Went into the bay as storm clouds were approaching and it was probably the most intense half hour of fishing we ever had. Decent Bass every other cast!

Over the years I've noticed that some of my best days catching-wise were when the weather was lousy...before storms...drizzling rain all day...never figured it was because of low barometric pressure...

This months issue of The North American Fisherman has an article on exactly this topic...the one thing that made sense to me was when the pressure is high and is working in conjunction with gravity, zooplankton and other goodies are forced to the bottom...but when the pressure is low the stuff rises bringing in minnows and baitfish and starts a feeding frenzy of sorts for all the fishes...

If I think of it next time I have a good catching day I'll try to remember the conditions better...sure I will :blush: ...not with my galloping senility :glare: ...I'll just go fishing anyways... :whistling:

• 11 months later...

Thanx CCM.. This newbie thinks the dropping barometer makes adifference as well.

I had not really considered the wind other than which side of the river I was gonna fish on on.. ie North wind i would fish the North shore to reduce the amount of wind on ME :rolleyes: .

However, maybe i should be fishing the south shores if there is a north wind??

Any thoughts on the wind question?

Splashhopper

ok this is what i believe,,,

winds--- will not affect bite but will tetermine the area of where they are biting,,,(tip--- always fish a windblown shoeline)

moon phase--- will have some effect on bite but mostly the time of bite,,,fish will likely eat less during daylight hours as they have ben able to feed all night under a full moon for example

barometric pressure---- will have the biggest effect on a fish bite because this indicated to the fish non-feedable times,,,ex,,,thats why before a storm front fish will feed because thay need to hunker down during the storm and not knowing how long it will last they feed to reserve energy during that time

just my opinion,,,and information taken from the pro's...i have also just installed a weather sensor on my new humminbird sonar unit to be able to track the bite corralation between baro and bite,,,i'll try to keep a log and let ya know my findings at the end of the year

lol...i don't know if ya have to go to that extreeme,,,but if you take into account in that situation that the baitfish will be blown offshore...all in all nothing is ever written in stone but if ya watch all the signs it gives you a good starting point.

lol...i don't know if ya have to go to that extreeme,,,but if you take into account in that situation that the baitfish will be blown offshore...all in all nothing is ever written in stone but if ya watch all the signs it gives you a good starting point.

Signs? :blink:

they got "signs" on the river :wallbash:

As i've read here in the past it's good to fish whenever you can, but moon phase, weather condditions, barometer, etc...

do affect feeding i've noticed. Good to try to get in the right spot according to the conditions.

We've found that a dropping barometer isn't the only indicator with where we fish. The best fishing has been when it's dropping and BELOW 102kPa. If the pressure is dropping and still over 102kPa, the bite is never on for us. For some reason, that's the magic pressure.

Looks like you answered your own question. Below 102kpa eh? Have to check that out sometime.

ehg

I think its a good idea to keep and eye out for moon phase if only to try and predict when the bigger fish are going to be active and might just throw something a little larger during these times. Solunar phases are equally as important. I used to believe more strongly thaan I do now about barometric pressure changes, but it doesn't dictate whether I'm going fishing or not. Of all the possibilities you've given, I'd say wind speed and direction will sway my presentation over all three, with light and moon/sun phases coming in a close second. That being said, you've got to listen to the fish. FLP=S theres no better formula IMO.

• 1 month later...

Good to see people look past the first page Cliff.

Since I missed this one I,ll make a reply.

Many Im sure, love those calm sunny days to get out and enjoy the day on the water,but I like a bit of a chop on the water.Makes for an even playing field,both for the fish and the fisher person. East wind well like they say, east the least,west the best. Guess it all depends where yer launching.LOL