Chipped Keys for Vehicles

Fishnwire

I didn't get a spare when I bought my Jeep second-hand. The dealership has them, but like everything else, they want an arm and a leg for them. Does anyone know if you can order them online? I know I'd still have to get it programmed at the dealership but I was hoping to avoid their ridiculous mark-up on the blank itself.

The other thing I'd consider is having the electronics that recognize the chip removed and bypassed so that any properly cut key will work in the ignition. Perhaps it can be programmed out in the vehicle’s computer? Can anyone shed any light on the feasibility of doing such a thing?

Thanks.

You can buy them on line blank

Had to do this for the wifes Liberty

You need 2, lots of instruction on line how to program them get them for about 14 dollars, 112 to get them at dealership its easy to do its just turning the ignition on and off

you need the one you have plus 2 more once you program the new keys stash the original you need this one or you will not be able to program anymore keys you cant copy of a copy

Peter

I have a Buick Lasabre and had the security system overrid,now I can start it with an ordinary key.

You can have ordinary keys made from your original then just tape the original chipped key underneath the dash close to the ignition (this will override the security system) and you're good to go if you want to save a few bucks.

You can have ordinary keys made from your original then just tape the original chipped key underneath the dash close to the ignition (this will override the security system) and you're good to go if you want to save a few bucks.

Not necessarily true Billy Bob. Depends on the system.

im in the same boat with my 04 Jeep GC, lost my spare set now im stuck with one set. I wanted to get another made but the dealer wanted 150 for the key alone !!

I looked into it online and found i need 2 keys to program a 3rd. If you only have one key your pretty much screwed smile.gif like me smile.gif lol

I'm in the same boat, need 2 keys to program for the Expedition.

Man I hope I don't lose the key......then again I can probably replace the entire ignition system for the price of the keys!

Edited by Bubbles

Just a note if your thinking of taping a key near the switch and using a non chipped key, if a thief tries to steal your vehicle you are making his life a lot easier by bypassing the anti-theft device.Also as was already stated this wont work on all systems.

Just a note if your thinking of taping a key near the switch and using a non chipped key, if a thief tries to steal your vehicle you are making his life a lot easier by bypassing the anti-theft device.Also as was already stated this wont work on all systems.

But at the price of $3 to have a non-chip key made isn't it worth the gamble....BTW they can steal the car either way and some cars need to be stolen... :rofl2: