How I beat the law... sort of

cwpowell

So I was driving down Queenston road in Hamilton thsi morning dropping my girlfriend off at work. All of the sudden the light turns yellow, nd I make no attempt to stop as it was still wet out and I was on the side where there was still a little snow left over. As I'm going through the light I notice a cop in the other side. crap I say to myself, my girlfriend says is he coming after you? Yep I say. So he comes up to my car, license, ownership, insurance. I start digging through my glove box looking for my little wallet with the slips in it. No where to be found. So I say sir I appologize I can't seem to find my ownership and insurance. He goes back to his car, and comes back with a ticket in hand. Charles do you realize a redlight ticket is $450 dollars and 5 points as it went up last January, not having your ownership is 100 dollars, and not having your insurance slip is 65 dollars. I apologize to him telling where I think my information might be and he says no worries. I noticed you like to fish he says ( I had5 5 or 6 ice fishing rods in the back of my car as well as a couple tip ups) He made some small talk about fishing. and said well I've given you the lowest ticket which is not being able to produce your insurance slip and its 65$ dollars. He sends me on my way and says good luck fishing!

I'm taking that as one fisherman to another. He let me off big time!

My girlfriend said thank god you had those rods in the back!

Glad you got off so lightly.... Sometimes officers are like that, somtimes they aren't. One time I got pulled over in my 67 Galaxie 500 convertible. The officer talked for about 20 minutes how similar the car was to his son's 67 ford fairlane.... Then he still gave me the ticket for 15KM over the speed limit not reduced mind you I was doing exactly 15KM over the limit.

Maybe some of the officers on here can answer this question I have a friend who was an OPP SGT and he claims there is NO violation under the highway traffic for going through a YELLOW light? Is he right or just trying to get me more tickets by listening to him LOL.

Edited by Canuck2fan

I've given you the lowest ticket which is not being able to produce your insurance slip and its 65$ dollars.

Personally I think it's totally disgusting that you got any ticket at all for not having your papers with you.

There's not a person alive who hasn't forgotten their papers at one time or another and it sure as heck doesn't make you a criminal and most definetely doesn't deserve a fine.

There was a time not so long ago where if you were stopped and couldn't produce your license the copper simply wrote it up and gave you 24 hours to stop in any police station and produce it, and then the ticket was cancelled.

Simply forget your wallet at home these days and you can be out a couple hundred dollars....that's pretty damned sad if you ask me.

Lew, he was given the fail to have insurance card as a break. He was stopped for failing to stop at the red light which carries a much higher penalty.

It's pretty low to give a tag for failing to have an insurance card if that was why you were pulled over. Usually getting that ticket is a break for something much more higher. Same with fail to surrender drivers licence and fail to surrender permit, both are given instead of a more serious offence (usually points)...that being said, there are a few people out there would triple tap him with all three offences...

I understand what you're saying, but $65 and no effect on your insurance is much better than $325 and 4 points, having to take a day off of work to fight it and possibly spend money on a paralegal....

Edited by FishnNAutographs

Dave, the man said he went thru a yellow light, not a red one, but whether he did or not isn't really the point as far as I'm concerned.

Either give him a ticket for running the light, or don't give him a ticket, it doesn't really matter, but the fact he got nailed for no papers is still a crock.

Like I said before, a man isn't a criminal because he forgets his wallet and he sure as heck doesn't deserve a ticket for being forgetful.

I've done it, you've done it and no doubt every copper in town has done it.

Dave, the man said he went thru a yellow light, not a red one, but whether he did or not isn't really the point as far as I'm concerned.

Either give him a ticket for running the light, or don't give him a ticket, it doesn't really matter, but the fact he got nailed for no papers is still a crock.

Like I said before, a man isn't a criminal because he forgets his wallet and he sure as heck doesn't deserve a ticket for being forgetful.

the real crock would be if he got nailed with failing to sign his ownership in ink!

don't worry lew, i still love ya! :whistling:

You got off easy considering what could have happened. Sometimes common interests pay off :thumbsup_anim: Betcha youre glad he wasn't a card carrying P3TA member :w00t:

There was a time not so long ago where if you were stopped and couldn't produce your license the copper simply wrote it up and gave you 24 hours to stop in any police station and produce it, and then the ticket was cancelled.

I remember those days Lew. It was a much more decent and civil way for the law to handle a miniscle incident. These days you have to make sure you dot yours I's and cross all your T's so to speak.

So now you now you have to stop for amber lights? Come to my hometown after 1AM when all the lights start flashing amber to let traffic flow and you could write tickets till your fingers bleed. LOL

it's not new....

I've layed that charge once...but it was after a collision and both drivers were charged...

I know it's on the books in the HTA, but it's one of the charges that is rarely layed - I could probably come up with a dozen offences that everyone does on a daily basis that they didn't know was illegal...

it's not new....

I've layed that charge once...but it was after a collision and both drivers were charged...

I know it's on the books in the HTA, but it's one of the charges that is rarely layed - I could probably come up with a dozen offences that everyone does on a daily basis that they didn't know was illegal...

That seems about right.....

Just to play devil's advocate here, not intended to stir the pot, if when you were a firefighter would you have the same attitude if a landlord forgot to change the batteries in the smoke alarm? Once again a simple oversight, but with, granted much higher consequences, if something goes wrong.

I was once pulled over for doing 49 over the limit, the limit changed on a country road and I did not notice, and was written up for the exact same offence. I was not upset because I recognized the break the officer was giving me.

Another time I was pulled over in my brothers driveway, and was given the same charge, I took it to court because the officer did not give me enough time to find the paperwork in my vehicle. After he has written the ticket I found the paperwork and presented it to him and he told me to pound salt and take it to court. So I did, he did not show up which was a dissapointment to me as I had some pointed questions that I wished to ask him.

it's not new....

The HTA is a wonderful confusing thing isn't it!?

Confusing yes, but I find that there is a general lack of knowledge when it comes to the basic rules of the road. I'm not sure if its a lack of education or no driver training or what but I'm finding more and more people not knowing that you have to stop at a stop sign or red light to turn right or if there is nothing coming.

That being said, I spoke with my staff sgt regarding the ability to produce your documents within 24 hours. He told me that the courts and the powers that sent out a message a long time ago that it had to stop. The HTA and CAIA (compulsary automobile insurance act) says that all documents have to be surrendered forthwith (right away) on demand..not within 24 hours. Why? Don't ask me, I didn't write the laws lol

Now on the flip side, ya it sucks to get a ticket, I've received a few, but laws are laws and there are far too many people picking and choosing which ones to follow. For example....I don't think anyone would feel bad for anyone fishing out of season, or with too many lines or without a licence when all those rules are common knowledge for those that fish. They're rules that all of us fisherpeople follow and have no problems with. Why is the HTA any different? Both fall under the provincial offences act...

I'm finding more and more people not knowing that you have to stop at a stop sign or red light to turn right or if there is nothing coming.

I don't think anyone would feel bad for anyone fishing out of season, or with too many lines or without a licence when all those rules are common knowledge for those that fish.

I guess this can be spun any way a person wants, but there's a BIG difference between intentionally breaking laws and simply forgetting to put your drivers license & insurance papers in your pocket when you run down to the corner store for a loaf of bread.

Not blaming the coppers at all Dave cause your just following orders, but an expensive ticket for forgetfullness is nothing more than a HUGE $$$$ grab.

Run a red light, gimme a ticket....

Forget my wallet, gimme a break....

Anyways, that's how I feel about it.

A law is a law as far as i'm concerned. They are not there to be broken they are there to be followed. Forgetfullness imo is no excuse. I have had friends that forgot their fishig license at home and got tickets. Sure if this happend to me i would like to be sent on my way without a ticket but not everyone is that lucky

Make sure you throw out the old insurance slip, someone here gave the cop an outdated slip,and then found the new one, the cop refused it and wrote her up for failure to produce her insurance slip.

Now if a couple of cops park in a no parking zone for the purpose of sleeping together and along comes a good Samaritan who spots the car and feels something is not right and possibly foul play. Samaritan investigates and finds two possibly injured or dead police officers but to his relief they were just sleeping. After taking pictures of sleeping cops Samaritan is charged for illegally parking.

As the officers were not working at the time, should they also get a parking ticket?

Now when we were younger when we found a sleeping cop we would put the back wheels by his open window and do a brake stand totally smoke him out. If you try this make sure your pointed in the opposite direction for a fast get away.