New Boat New Gear

Ricky Bobby

Hey All

First post - been watching around for a while

First off, I am mostly a Muskie guy, but with the price of gas going through the roof, I figure that I can get some quality family time AND some fishing in running L Ontario for Salmon etc.

I bought a 2008 Princecraft 198 SP with a 200 Verado (76 hrs) and a 9.9 kicker. I will be adding new electronics and down riggers and a new Minnkota Fortex trolling motor

So here are my questions (feel free to add answers to questions I did not include ;)

1. I am considering the HDS - 7 Lowrance, as I found the HDS 5 I have on my current (for sale) boat. The trolling motor has the built in sonar, so I only need the 1 transducer

2. I can either buy the Cannon 10 riggers currently on the boat, or I can buy my own. I have NO experience with downriggers, so any input here is welcome

3. Boat cover - I was looking at Boatcovers.com - they look pretty good and they have the custom cover required by the boat

4. the trailer is a double axle with disc brakes - any special maintenance here, or pretty much like a car

5. Batteries - Would you recommend adding another battery in the rear compartment and running it in sync with the 9.9 & Verado battery in order to run the down riggers?

6. Anything I am missing here?

Thanks in advance

I feel your excitement man !!!clapping.gif I'm gettin mine in Aprilclapping.gif Best advice i can give you, is look at the type of fishing you will do, and your budget. I multi species fish, and wont be in the great lakes with my boat, so i went with Princecraft Starfish DLX SC,Merc 40EFI, Humminbird HD387Ci, Minn Kota Edge, Bimini, and my Lowrance from the old boat, for the Bow casting deck. That will serve me well for whatever i need to fish.I will most likely get rod holders installed, but not downriggers.

What ever you decide, you will have fun doing itthumbsup_anim.gif New toys are always excitingGonefishing.gif

I would use another battery connected to your kicker strictly for the downriggers, and other heavy use electronics, (radios, fishfinders etc.)connected to bot. This leaves the main motor with a fully charged battery for starting. Install a battery isolator or selector switch also.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

You won't need another battery, you should be fine running the 1 for the riggers and electronics. You are going to need 2 or 3 for the MinnKota depending on how big you go.

As for riggers, I think they are all pretty good whether you go Cannon, Scotty or Walker.

HDS 7 is a great unit.

Since you are a musky guy, you know all about Salty's, you're going to need a couple.

Your trailer will need to have the bearings greased at least once a year or so depending on how much you use it. Other than that, make sure the tire pressure is good EVERY time you go out.

Boatcovers, if you found one that is specific to your boat you should be fine.

Now get out and slime it on season opener!!

Just an FYI for those that don't know... the Verado engine is supposed to have a dedicated battery.. accessories are not to be on it other than maybe your bilge pumps.. so the kicker should have it's own battery and be the power source for your riggers/electronics etc. Both batteries get charged thru an isolator when running on the Verado so that they stay topped up and it's a time game when running the kicker if you have or use the power steering when running the kicker. I have mine disconnected as the hydraulic steering sucks more power than the kicker alternator puts out at trolling speed. AGM batteries are also highly suggested...and must/should be a matched pair.

When I originally custom ordered my Lund I wanted an 1/2/both isolate switch and dual batteries, as what I always did with our cruisers on GBay. Not allowed with a Verado.

Edited by irishfield

Irish - you would add the second battery in line with the first then? And run the finders, kickers etc off that second battery? I have done a lot of reading on Verado and that was one thing I did notice. Was not aware the Power steering pump drew so much juice

Congrats on the new boat sounds like a awesome rig one thing I would suggest is look into a terrova for a TM the wire steering is nice but in the larger tinner the abbility to move the foot control around the entire boat is nice and you can add the i-pilot or get it with it and the long shaft fortex are hard to find I looked for them and 54" was the longest I could find in stock and for your boat I would go with 60" either way you will have a sweet rig and the HDS 7 is nice but I just bought mine so I can't really comment on it yet .

the long shaft fortex are hard to find I looked for them and 54" was the longest I could find in stock

When I bought my new boat from Hastings Marine 2 years ago I had them install the 62" Fortrex, but unfortunately I don't know where they got it from.

I'm sure any good MinnKota dealer could order you one though without any problems.

When I bought my new boat from Hastings Marine 2 years ago I had them install the 62" Fortrex, but unfortunately I don't know where they got it from.

I'm sure any good MinnKota dealer could order you one though without any problems.

Thanks Lew I ended up going with the terrova so I can upgrade to the I-pilot later really like the idea of not having to work the foot pedal on rough days .

Edited by SRT8

Shake and Bake. I love it. Ok, I will get our Graphics girl to spin that up, and put it on the back. i emailed my buddy over at Bills bait & tackle in Hamilton for the price on the long shaft fortrex. I just dont like the electric motors without cable steer.

Shake and Bake. I love it. Ok, I will get our Graphics girl to spin that up, and put it on the back. i emailed my buddy over at Bills bait & tackle in Hamilton for the price on the long shaft fortrex. I just dont like the electric motors without cable steer.

Thats why they make both I do like the cable steer but I have gotten used to the electric and the terrova is supposed to feel simalar to the cable steer so I will see when I get it .Thanks Roy I never looked there didn't even now radioworld sold TM's good to now .And the shake and bake name is great :thumbsup_anim:

Congrats on the enw boat Ricky Bobby, I almost have the same setup.... 2005 198SP with a 200hp Optimax single axle trailer.

My only regret is not getting a kicker when I bought it as im trying to find one now.

Everyone seems to have most things covered, but speaking of covers... Mine came with a factory snap down cover and I love it... Makes towing easier and you can also use the boat for storage if your going camping or on a long trip just pack the gear into the boat, cover her up and head out!

Just an fyi if you want some gear, head over the Princecrafts website, they have some deals on clothing right now.

Irish - you would add the second battery in line with the first then? And run the finders, kickers etc off that second battery? I have done a lot of reading on Verado and that was one thing I did notice. Was not aware the Power steering pump drew so much juice

If your kicker wasn't factory installed it may not even have the power steering hooked up when you are running just the kicker. I don't find it a big deal to steer without the hydraulic pump running.. heck the wife drives most the time.. none issue for her. IF you have the power steering running when using the kicker.. at slow speeds you have about 5 hours before your battery will be low enough your Lowrance will shut off.. 10.7 volts. Mercs great suggestion was you have to go for a run to recharge off the big motor.. or leave it idling. Then it was AGM batteries for more capacity. I let them pay for $600 worth of AGM's and then chose to disconnect the kicker motor from the hydraulic pump. Very easy at a quick connect on the engine feed isolator harness right by the pump.

As for the batteries.. they are hooked up seperate. The only common place of connection is the charging output from the Verado goes to an isolator and splits one to the kicker battery, one to the Verado battery so it charges them both but accessories can't drain both. When the kicker is running it is only charging it's own battery.

Edited by irishfield

Im going to go give the guy the cheque this coming week and hes going to leave it in his garage for another few weeks. Talked to Bay City and I am going to bring it by and go over some of the details with them. Thanks for all the info on the motor Irish. This is gonna be one sweet ride!! Shake n Bake :)