Cost of Internet Access NF

Old Man

I'm sure if everyone limited their use of the entertainment internet we wouldn't have this problem. Those that want to download movies and music and all the other stuff, please pay. Don't like it, watch TV or go rent your movies. For all the time I use it, Rogers sent me a letter and said it wouldn't affect me, I only use about 2GB a month. What are the rest of the moaners doing to use all that time? (Other than bona fide work related). Watching spankies isn't classified under work either. :unsure:

I was wondering the same thing - 25GB is a LOT of data, unless you're on torrent sites morning noon and night (in which case you should get out more) I can't see how people can need such huge limits - who, as a private customer needs 300GB?

I stream 4 or 5 rugby matches a month plus some football (soccer) games and never get over 10 of my 20GB quota. If you really need to access the internet that much then you should be paying more.

I'm sure if everyone limited their use of the entertainment internet we wouldn't have this problem. Those that want to download movies and music and all the other stuff, please pay. Don't like it, watch TV or go rent your movies. For all the time I use it, Rogers sent me a letter and said it wouldn't affect me, I only use about 2GB a month. What are the rest of the moaners doing to use all that time? (Other than bona fide work related). Watching spankies isn't classified under work either. :unsure:

There are services like Netflix which are legitimate paid-for streaming TV and movies. Apple recently launched a TV service as well. Good alternative to renting movies through Rogers, Bell, or Blockbuster.

Netflix HD movies stream at about 1.5-2 gigs per hr (i think).

So, what Bell and Rogers are really doing is pushing out content competition. This is not about infrastructure costs.

You're entitled to your opinion, and if your usage is low that's fine, but I wonder why you care so much about what other people use the internet for?

The "problem" isn't one of capacity. The problem is the big telecoms finding another way to vacuum money out of people's pockets.

Be aware that it may not be your problem but it is a problem for others.

I've written to both my local MP and to the federal government to ask them to reverse the CRTC decision.

This explains some aspects of the issue very well... it's a comment on a National Post column...

Unfortunately, this missive does nothing but highlight ignorance on the subject matter.

The new caps are traffic caps, not bandwidth caps. The two terms are related but not interchangeable.

An example of traffic usage would be a user downloading a 10GB file at 300 kilobytes per second. They have incurred 10GB of traffic usage. Assuming the speed was consistent, they used 300kb of bandwidth.

An example of bandwidth usage would be hundreds of users arriving home from work and accessing YouTube to watch a few videos. While the size of the video is relatively small, the volume of users means that the bandwidth used would be much greater.

An automotive analogy would be to assume that traffic usage is how far you've driven, but bandwidth is how many lanes are being taken up. You can drive 1000KM; this is not an issue. Having 3 lanes on a 3 lane highway taken up however, will cause congestion; much in the same way that having many users using the internet causes congestion of the network.

That said, metering traffic usage is like trying to jam a square peg in a round hole to plug it. The actual cost to a provider to transfer a gigabyte of data, on average, is a fraction of a cent.

Blaming people who download a high volume of material is demonstrating an ignorance of where the true cost of provision of service lies and shifts blame away from the monopolistic providers. When bandwidth gets saturated, costs increase.

In particular, Bell seems to have enough bandwidth to be launching their IPTV service. This service will use the same lines as their internet service but not count against monthly traffic usage. Coupled with the new woefully inadequate 25GB cap, this seems like nothing more than an anti-competitive action to take out companies such as Netflix.

And please, as Tony Clement eluded to, let's not forget the government granted favours and concessions Bell was afforded in the past. This is not a simple matter of the free market.

Use this link to read the full column and other comments...

Read more: http://fullcomment.n.../#ixzz1CpGJJJT0

Edited by Jocko

335,000 people have already signed the on-line petition. You can be guaranteed the gov't is watching this.

This is the message I got when I signed... you can use the links too if you wish...

Thank you for signing the petition! Your name has been added.

The more people that join this campaign, the more powerful our call will be. Please help spread the word -- tweet or email the following link, and share it on Facebook. Tell your family, friends, co-workers, and random acquaintances to join the force against usage-based billing and a metered Internet:

URL to email: http://stopthemeter.ca

Share on Facebook: http://on.fb.me/hZf9YW

Tweet with Twitter: http://bit.ly/gdOBtF

I think it is more like you rent a truck and part of the agreement is you have unlimited gas, knowing you live on an island so you will pay for something you can't use. but now someone built a bridge to your island and you can go many more places finally using much of the gas you paid for in your rental agreement, so they put a 1 tank limit on you, but still charge you the same as when you had unlimited gas

Kind of like the cable plans that make you pay for 60 channels, and only 10-15 are fit to watch?

You're entitled to your opinion, and if your usage is low that's fine, but I wonder why you care so much about what other people use the internet for?

The "problem" isn't one of capacity. The problem is the big telecoms finding another way to vacuum money out of people's pockets.

Be aware that it may not be your problem but it is a problem for others.

I've written to both my local MP and to the federal government to ask them to reverse the CRTC decision.

Jocko, thank you for explaining the difference in simple terms in your later post, I was unfortunately wrongly advised by someone that's going to have a 1 gigawatt curling iron applied to his butt. :worthy:

Jocko, thank you for explaining the difference in simple terms in your later post, I was unfortunately wrongly advised by someone that's going to have a 1 gigawatt curling iron applied to his butt. :worthy:

Sorry for the "edge" to my reply, Fisherman.

I'd been reading a lot about the issue and getting myself a little worked up.

EDIT --- There's one thing that really shows the greed of the big carriers : It costs them about a penny to transmit a gig of data, yet they want to charge people over a dollar per gig when they go over the new "cap".

That's not a justifiable profit, that's a "Pay through the nose, Sucka" obscene rip-off.

Edited by Jocko