Handheld GPS

GBW

Hey all.

I'm considering getting a basic handhelp GPS with mapping capability. I'm ok with used if the price is right. All I want it for is to mark where I park when I go ice fishing so I can find my way back if a storm picks up. That and to mark a good spot if I find one... :whistling:

I don't want to spend a lot either, I'm cheep... :rolleyes: Thanks.

Geoff

I think this is one of the best out there and the price is great

Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx

In stock

010-00469-00

$259.95

76CSxoverview.gif

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/76csx.htm

and as for maps you can find them for free on the internet for that unit

Ah, man...why'd you have to show me that, Terry!!! How, can I sneak that purchase by the "little lady"... :whistling:

If you want check out the post I made for an older Garmin 12. Exactly what I used that one for - no mapping though just WP and tracking/trail function

Hopefully we can hook up on the other stuff before ice fishing ends. Your Dec/Jan sounded a lot like mine.

Paul

If all you want it for is finding your way back you don't need a mapping GPS.

You can pick up just about any GPS used for lots less $$$. Check ebay. :whistling:

I have 2 oldert non mapping GPS units that do the trick for general navigation.

Oh, and I have one of those Garmin GPS Map 76 dealies too. :lol:

The B&W version though.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

if you're going to use a non-mapping gps, you might as well use a proper suunto, a map, and a pacing factor. it's will likely be more accurate.

if you're going to use a non-mapping gps, you might as well use a proper suunto, a map, and a pacing factor. it's will likely be more accurate.

How do you figure?

They both mark a waypoint and can take you to that waypoint.

The mapping one just shows you a topo map of the area as opposed to a plain field with a waypoint on it.

I have been using a non mapping GPS in my boat since 1995 and have no problem getting back on the spot.

Don't get me wrong I like my mapping handheld and want to replace my boat's GPS, but all the OP want's it for is to get back to his vehicle in white out conditions and a plain old basic GPS will do that and won't cost him $300. He does say he wants a mapping GPS, but for what he wants to do with it, it's not needed.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

How do you figure?

I'll rephrase.

If you're just getting into the world of GPS, don't start by using an antiquated technology.

And by and large a compass is actually more accurate and much faster than even a mapping gps when it comes to following a route through the bush.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

another consideration is that no gps before 2005 is WAAS enabled. if you want your gps to work in a whiteout, i would advise being WAAS enabled. unless you want to buy an external antenna.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Whether you're using a mapping or non mapping GPS you should have a good compass with you at all times.

absolutely! at any elevated security level, homeland security can scramble the US satellites, not to mention mechanical failure.

I'm not sure this is true, I timber cruised in the 80's with a silva, map, arieal photo's and a chain rope. It was pretty accurate, but leaves lots of room for human error, a gps will give you your exact location, the route you've traveled, your destination and where your start pt was.I'll tell you if I was still working the bush I wouldn't leave the truck without a GPS.Your right relying completly on your GPS could be a mistake, and one should always have a compass with them when traveliing through the bush, but as far a accuracy it's pretty tough to beat todays technology

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

a gps will give you your exact location, the route you've traveled

a non-waas GPS can be up to 100 metres off the mark.

we both know you are far more accurate than that. :dunno:

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus