Help to Replace Jaw Opener lost in the drink

JimC

It was plastic, very light, when you squeezed in would rachet up one notch at a time, then easy to release.

Haven't been able to find anything like it. Tried CTC, Pro Bass (on 400), and a couple of small tackle shops.

Those wire, spring loaded ones are crap, imho.

My buddy loved that thing, and had it a long time. he forgot where he got it (gift? or purchase?)

Left it in my rubber net after dealing with a very large Pike last spring ... I didn't see it ... washed the net out ... well you get the idea.

I felt bad.

Any help to source a replacement would sure be appreciated. ;)

Edited by JimC

It was plastic, very light, when you squeezed in would rachet up one notch at a time, then easy to release.

Haven't been able to find anything like it. Tried CTC, Pro Bass (on 400), and a couple of small tackle shops.

Those wire, spring loaded ones are crap, imho.

My buddy loved that thing, and had it a long time. he forgot where he got it (gift? or purchase?)

Left it in my rubber net after dealing with a very large Pike last spring ... I didn't see it ... washed the net out ... well you get the idea.

I felt bad.

Any help to source a replacement would sure be appreciated. ;)

IMG_0512_edited_Carlos Jaw openers lost.jpg

Look again guys. As the "loops" are brought closer together the tips spread apart. The "ratchet" part is the perpendicular piece near the loops. My brother used to have a pair.

Exactly ... they may look like something else, but trust me, they were the best darn jaw spreaders ever. Too bad your 'bro' lost his too.

Paul - thanks for the tip; however, that type of jaw spreader although effective, is pretty unforgiving, imho ... especially for a younger fish you plan to release. Still a better option (for the fish) than just ripping the hook out of a Pike's throat, on such occasions when it's a deep (hook) set.

So please keep me in mind guys n gals ... in your travels, if you find a retailer that carries a jaw-spreader like the one pictured, please PM me or use: [email protected] Thanks.

Edited by JimC

Trying to add a BIGGER pic here to show more clearly how this tool works.

edit: well that sucked ... obviously I am no expert at editing pictures. That one should have shown larger. oh well.

Jaw Spreaders_Big.jpg

Edited by JimC

Trying to add a BIGGER pic here to show more clearly how this tool works.

edit: well that sucked ... obviously I am no expert at editing pictures. That one should have shown larger. oh well.

Just "click" on the picture in your post - it comes up on a new page almost life size.

Tracker (Don)

Just "click" on the picture in your post - it comes up on a new page almost life size.

Tracker (Don)

thanks, Don; however, for whatever reason, when I click on the thumbnail nothing happens. Now it (the first pic) DID expand once, but now I can't get it to repeat. gotta be something in my settings I guess, or the browser (Firefox).

I dunno. :wallbash:

thanks, Don; however, for whatever reason, when I click on the thumbnail nothing happens. Now it (the first pic) DID expand once, but now I can't get it to repeat. gotta be something in my settings I guess, or the browser (Firefox).

I dunno. :wallbash:

Must be - mine opens to the full width of the 22 inch screen. I will keep my eyes open for them in the tackle shops down my way (Niagara).

Tracker (Don)

Hey Jim these are the same as you had I believe.They are a great pair of spreaders for small too medium sized Pike/Muskies.

Closed

P1090222.jpg

Half way opened

P1090223.jpg

Fully opened

P1090224.jpg

Jim the only thing I can tell you about these spreaders is what's written on the side.It says "The Grabber a Fishing Tool" and a " U.S. Patent NO. 261546 ". There is nothing else written on them.

Jim I've had these for 10-15 years so I do not remember where I purchased them.

I lost mine for a couple of days while shore fishing for Pike a few years back and I was bummed out, so I know how you feel.Luckly I found them.

As for replacing them all I can say is goodluck I have been searching for years to buy a couple of backup pairs. If you do find some let me know I would like a couple more pairs.

Goodluck in your search Rob

Edited by Alumacraft

Could you check that patent number again Rob? 261546 is a 1888 patent for a hyrdrocarbon generator.

If I can find if the patent is still in force, or not in force.. might be something worth making a mould for at the plant.

Edited by irishfield

Hey Jim these are the same as you had I believe.They are a great pair of spreaders for small too medium sized Pike/Muskies.

Closed

P1090222.jpg

Half way opened

P1090223.jpg

Fully opened

P1090224.jpg

Jim the only thing I can tell you about these spreaders is what's written on the side.It says "The Grabber a Fishing Tool" and a " U.S. Patent NO. 261546 ". There is nothing else written on them.

Jim I've had these for 10-15 years so I do not remember where I purchased them.

I lost mine for a couple of days while shore fishing for Pike a few years back and I was bummed out, so I know how you feel.Luckly I found them.

As for replacing them all I can say is goodluck I have been searching for years to buy a couple of backup pairs. If you do find some let me know I would like a couple more pairs.

Goodluck in your search Rob

Yup, that's it alright. thanks for the info, and the Great pictures; but it doesn't look good for me to find a replacement.

Grabco, Inc went belly-up according to this >>> http://california.14thstory.com/grabco-inc.html

Only chance is probably at a flea market, but you never know. Guess there will be a few of us now, checking our sources. Everybody likes a challenge, right.

As for my technical problems getting the thumbnail to open, it works for me using Internet Explorer (but not Firefox) ... haven't tried Chrome yet on the ol laptop, but it will probably work there too.

Thanks for everyone's input. Hopefully, some of these will turn up, or someone else will get the specs and start making them again. Maybe we'll see'em on Dragon's Den.

Irish I double checked the patent # and that's what written #261546.

Irish if you do happen too mold and make some let me know I'll take a couple of pairs.

Rob

I would definitely be interested as well. hmmmm ... sounds like a business opportunity might be evolving. :thumbsup_anim:

Wayne, if you do think about making these, put me down for 6. That way I can give them out as presents for our annual Muskoka Pike Opener in May to the boys.

They look like a pretty decent fishing tool. I think with just the sales from OFC'ers, it would be worth someone's time and effort. Also, if whomever gets Muskies Canada on board....... It could be a fun way to make some extra cashola.