Christmas eve ice fishing

GoneFishin

Hey guys. I got out today with a buddy to do some Christmas eve ice fishing. Haven't done to good in the past outings but today was pretty steady.

We started off with a nice large mouth bass on a buckshot spoon.

Then next we got a huge bowfin! (first for me) hit like a perch then ran like a pike :S

794efce9.jpg

The rest of the day we spent running back and forth to are rods that were bouncing around and getting nailed by some big perch. Got 2 that were 14" and some 12"ers

d036dd03.jpg

4e2f6ebb.jpg

I also spent some time playing with my hds5. Flashers have absolutely nothing on these units. The marks on the screen are my buckshot spoon tipped with a minnow. I can't wait to try it out in deeper water.

900a24d2.jpg

GoneFishing, I just bought the PPP-161 ice fishing pack for my HDS5 and I got a chance to play with it in the hut yesterday afternoon. I was in 12' and the HDS was picking up my 1/4 oz. jig tipped with a 1" gulp shiner. It was cool to see it wiggle on the bottom. Only problem I have is when I use my flasher it gives me a 3rd panel? I have played with all the settings and still can't get rid of the 3rd panel.

I find the lcd screen is way better than the flasher mode anyways. I always have. I can't seem to get used to any kind of flasher. I like my graph. As long as you know how to set it up, they work just as good, and sometime better...........not always though!!

S.

Where did you buy your PPP-161 ice fishing pack? I am interested in getting one for my HDS5

Big Cliff, I ordered mine from Radioworld on line. They processed my order and shipped it out the same day. I had it in less than 24 hrs. Don't forget to order a second gimbal bracket if yours is still on your boat. The PPP-161 does not come with a bracket.

Big Cliff, I ordered mine from Radioworld on line. They processed my order and shipped it out the same day. I had it in less than 24 hrs. Don't forget to order a second gimbal bracket if yours is still on your boat. The PPP-161 does not come with a bracket.

Thanks, I now have a new toy on the way LOL. I have flashers and cameras but my hds5 has all the charts and everything so it should be super for ice fishing plus I marked a bunch of spots this summer that I thought might be good for hard water.

Do you have a pic of how youhave it rigged for ice fishing? Do you have a seperate transducer?

I am using the transducer that came with it. I have it set up on a portable titelock transducer mount, but I'm going to bolt it to a piece of dowel and float it in my hole.

GoneFishing, I just bought the PPP-161 ice fishing pack for my HDS5 and I got a chance to play with it in the hut yesterday afternoon. I was in 12' and the HDS was picking up my 1/4 oz. jig tipped with a 1" gulp shiner. It was cool to see it wiggle on the bottom. Only problem I have is when I use my flasher it gives me a 3rd panel? I have played with all the settings and still can't get rid of the 3rd panel.

I wish I had the extra money right now for a kit but I'm going to have to piece it together. Right now it's hooked up to a car battery...

I'm not sure how to fix your problem but, if your reset your settings it should go away.

I can't wait to try it out on simcoe for lakers and whities.

I wish I had the extra money right now for a kit but I'm going to have to piece it together. Right now it's hooked up to a car battery...

I'm not sure how to fix your problem but, if your reset your settings it should go away.

I can't wait to try it out on simcoe for lakers and whities.

Although the kit is pretty sweet, its easy to build something up that will work. You can source the ice transducer for around $60 and a small battery w/charger for $40 or so. Heck you can use the transom transducer if you have to.

Although the kit is pretty sweet, its easy to build something up that will work. You can source the ice transducer for around $60 and a small battery w/charger for $40 or so. Heck you can use the transom transducer if you have to.

Yah, I just got my girlfriend to buy me an early birthday present and picked up a little energizer battery.

I also just wired my fish tv because it didn't come with a power auxiliary cable.. Can't wait to use them both but I am starting to think should of went with the size 16 instead of 12..

I'll have another report up soon, got a couple pike and perch today and I'm hoping to get out tomorrow.