Question for Fly Fisherman-It's Complete

bushart

Just a quick question if I may...

I'm currently working on a fly fishing painting

So far I've got my angler underpainted--gonna be in waders in a river

Now my first intent was to have him doing a roll cast with the line hilited through the air

I figured casting was something you were all very proud of..

I wonder now if having a fish busting the surface across the river may be more proper---either way fish or cast it'll be across the stretch of river.

So I guess my question is what do you think depicts fly fishing more?

Oh yeah one more---what's a popular line colour?--Obviously I'm a spin fishing guy

Edited by bushart

Fly lines come in a lot of colours if they are floating lines. White, orange ,green, yellow and even pink are popular. As to the first question, I like the idea if a cast across the river to the yet unseen trout.

muddler

Edited by muddler

Just a quick question if I may...

I'm currently working on a fly fishing painting

So far I've got my angler underpainted--gonna be in waders in a river

Now my first intent was to have him doing a roll cast with the line hilited through the air

I figured casting was something you were all very proud of..

I wonder now if having a fish busting the surface across the river may be more proper---either way fish or cast it'll be across the stretch of river.

So I guess my question is what do you think depicts fly fishing more?

Oh yeah one more---what's a popular line colour?--Obviously I'm a spin fishing guy

Fly fishing is an art, and persoanlly as a fly fisherman myself, I like to see the line either on the water or in a perfect loop...

here is a pic of myself in Alberta. I love the way it looks... I hope this helps

dave1.jpg

Dave

I'm with Dave, a perfect loop is what it's the perfect fly fishing image. One picture that does it for me is from the Movie 'A river runs through it' -it's not perfect form by any means but it captures the essence of fly fishing for me.

a-river-runs-through-it.jpg

As for fly line colour, I don't think it matters really, looking at what you have so far and the fact he's not dressed like a 'modern' fly fisherman, I'd go with a light, drab colour like a beige or light olive green which be closer to the colour of an old silk line.

Ok boys don't critique too closely yet

I just laid in some colour---lots to hi-lite yet

Just showing you I went with a yellow/green line---casting

It's also a close up on the subject---more background comin as well

Thanks again

Ive gotta ask...i was just going through your website and noticed the "originals" are not for sale....so i guess my questions are ...how many prints do you run off and how much are the prints...Im sure im not the only one wondering so if ya want to post the info in here for others to benefit ..that would be cool...if not ...please feel free to PM me in OFC ...

edit to add>>>>nice job!!!!

Edited by Twocoda

I get asked this quite frequently actually.

I took the original pricing off the site as some of the work I have on there is in Galleries and they did'nt feel comfortable. People can e-mail me in case what they're lookin at is'nt in a gallery.

That print pricing just comes with the website and is in the US and I just leave that for people on the web that don't know me---In Canada I use a local printer and the pricing is better.

Anyway I try to avoid the whole sales angle here on the board cause it gets a li'l spammy

I put this on here cause we all have the fishing/hunting and outdoors in common and sometimes it's a break from hockey jabs.

And like in this case the fly guys helped me out.

Thanks Again