If you want good ice..

irishfield

When living on an island is a lifestyle.. you've gotta start with a good parking area and ice road trail end! lol

My neighbour at the lake.. getting the "insulation" off so the ice forms well from dock to the PPark so they can at least safely cross it before he starts on the ice road.

dougiceprep.jpg

There's only an inch of ice there Rob.. So 6" board x 10 feet x 2 boards is a 10 square foot foot print / into 200 lbs = 20 lbs per square foot vs his boots would be 200 lbs per square foot if he can keep from lifting one up.. as then it's 400lb/sqft! lol Snowshoes.. I'd estimate even the biggest pair of old trappers I have at 5 or 6 square feet total for the pair..

Edited by irishfield

Is that this year Wayne on the big lake up north

I'm staying at home this year over Xmas to new years but maybe I should be planning to be a visiting relative and impose on the family up there.

Yes Paul.. Campfire Island beside the PPark. Behind it is frozen but as of yesterday they were still getting the boat to town from the front (channel) dock. Haven't talked to him today.. but I suspect that is frozen now as well, or will be before the weekend. Then he'll start on the ice road from town boat ramp to the island... pack... auger.. leave auger running to flood.. move 30 feet... repeat. A PITA.. but it makes a good road. Then he uses the ATV and plow to clear from his road to my dock for us. The difference between a prepped road and snow covered ice three years ago.. was 7" of ice everywhere... and the road was 23 inches thick.

A little behind in comparison to Dec 2008. This was the morning of the 22nd.. Leah and I driving over to the island to pick Doug and Anita up to go to Walter's funeral. Doug talking to Leah on the cell around Martin River.. "tell Wayne to turn the radio up before driving down the launch" ! :unsure::dunno::D

truckicetemagamidec2208.jpg

We've given thought to it Steve... but we'd go crazy waiting for ice in and ice out... and man that looks like work, shovelling by hand! I'm too old for that... Then again I could buy a cheap airboat to get thru those time periods, but unfortunately they piss everyone off because you delay proper ice formation using one.

Edited by irishfield

If the winds don't die down John.. it will be a LONG time before there is good ice beyond O'Connor Island..

Just talked with Doug.. he figures he should have two more inches of ice tonight and rip'd across that little stretch of ice with the sled this afternoon. Thinks he may take a rip to town tomorrow, but I told him not to get in too much of a hurry as I really do need him around to make a road for us!!

Edited by irishfield

... we can make ice!

We? Is that like when my wife says: "we should paint the house"... "we should fix-up the basement" Sometimes in this house there is a lot of I in we. ;)

I only ask, since I've not seen photos of Wayne standing on fence boards clearing new ice that is bare inches thick. :thumbsup_anim:

We? Is that like when my wife says: "we should paint the house"... "we should fix-up the basement"

YES... it's Doug's job to build the road.. it use to be Walter's job.. but well he's gone so Doug was next in line.. it goes by age you know...

Now if we could juts get Walter's old JD dozer running again.. that is sitting behind his cottage on the next island..