ways to get your stuff out onto the ice

skinny

ok I Ice fish Long Point bay . last year was a first and I have a folding hut and other regular equipment. I pulled it all out by hand which was ok but can take alot of time. I have been trying to come up with some sort of powered assisting device to get the stuff out. ok here we go the common is a snowmoblie or a quad. Well that is fine but I don't have any other real use for either of these items. Down here the opp were busting people for plates and insurance before hitting the ice ( costs I can't justify just for ice fishing would rather buy equipment). I have been trying to think of other things i could use or modify to be able to get my stuff on the ice. One thought I had was to find an older track type snow blower and remove the blower part so it is just the motor and tracks and handles and use it to pull my gear just not sure it would have the pull/speed. So I'm looking for any ideas that have been seen or tried.

Maybe a rototiller hooked to your sled :w00t: I can see one day some guy will invent something. I fish Long PT.Bay also and it's got to be the windiest place at times. I saw 2 guys pulling a hut with a 4 wheeler one day and the wind was plowing them back-wards across the bay to open water. The bay can be dangerous with thin soft spots because of it being so shallow with weeds in the ice. Plus watch for snow covered cracks. Ive been in a few times, you just don't see them.

Good thread, I'll be watching for some ideas.

get your self an old snowmobile remove the seat and build a deck where the seat would have been extend the handles back past the back of the machine ajust the controls so that it olny goes walking speed i wouldn't think if you have no place to ride on it the police couldn't give you a hard time. Another option would be a trailer hitch on your snowblower. the idea might seem dumb but i am only on a couple hrs sleep

Well i hate to burst anybodys bubble but:

a motorized vehicle is a motorized vehicle.

that means they can still fine you for no insurance, no plates and no registration.

you can pick up a snowmobile for $1000.oo or less and the insurance would cost about $60 a year and plates are $15 a year.

buy a trailer that is just big enough to fit the sled so that when you get to the ice you unhook the trailer and hook it up to the sled , then fill the trailer with all your gear .