How Important is spelling?

Twocoda

Can you raed this? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

I cluod raed this ...no pboerlm :whistling:

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

I can read it no problem, as well...but, it drives me crazy, how in the modern era of texting (which personally I don't think anyone over the age of 18 should be doing) the english language is going to "hell in a handbag".

I can read it no problem, as well...but, it drives me crazy, how in the modern era of texting (which personally I don't think anyone over the age of 18 should be doing) the english language is going to "hell in a handbag".

why u say that. there is nuthin wrong w/ textin. LMAO GTG BRB DL PB Pic on BBM TTYL. PING

Edited by Harrison

Actually Im all for a change in the English language. Its long overdue. websters has been around sine the late 1800's I belive. The way we spell some things goes way beyond be. There was a great thing on am640 about this issue not to long ago..wish i could find the link..Its a good listen.

Actually Im all for a change in the English language. Its long overdue. websters has been around sine the late 1800's I belive. The way we spell some things goes way beyond be. There was a great thing on am640 about this issue not to long ago..wish i could find the link..Its a good listen.

What did you have in mind?

LOL!!!! I rest my case.

what dif does resting ur case haveta do wit textin, u tired.

that sum sorta play on words,

i dunno bout ur fancy talk

LOL, BRB K

:blink:

Kidding around.. but your right FRANKIE65, literally how the teen staff I deal will talk.

Edited by Harrison

What did you have in mind?

actually not me..This was a topic on am640. ill see if I can find it as it was a great listen.Lots of good points.

This is all I could find,,Its gone off the audio on demand.

10:30 shrtng englsh lang

Four peaceful protesters stood outside the Grand Hyatt on Thursday, where the Scripps National Spelling Bee is under way. The group is campaigning to simplify the way the English language is spelled. They think "fruit" should be spelled f-r-o-o-t and the silent "w" would be dropped from the end of "slow." Eighty-one-year-old Roberta Mahoney braved the 90-plus degree midday heat in a full-length bee costume to lead the protest. She said the complexity of the English language keeps 40 percent of the population from learning how to read, write and spell. Are they right?

Edited by tb4me

Ask the people I work with ... that's how I type all the time.

I too am a master of typonese...self taught too...part of my training was to try to make words from license plates on vehicles...then they came out with that Bumper Stumper game and life was never the same...

How would you feel if the safety instructions for your airplane already sinking were written this way?

Or how would you view a job application for a secretarial position if the applicant spelled this way?

What if your oncologist took the casual approach to spelling as he set up your chemo orders for all those wild and crazy meds they mix? The chemical names look misspelled even when they're correct.

I hate spell checkers that insist on changing my words from proper Canadian to American style spelling. Not that there's anything wrong with spelling the words that way when you're American but when in Canada .... Etc.

The problem is the slippery slope syndrome. When does letting poor spelling skills slide in school extend to poor math skills, or science skills, etc.

As you've probably figured out I'm a tad obsessive about spelling. I wouldn't hire the secretarial job applicant who showed me she/he couldn't or wouldn't take the trouble to be accurate with his/her word work. The product is how people judge my whole company and I'd rather we weren't seen as only marginally literate.

Call it snotty or obsessive, whatever you want, but I know I don't stand alone. And yes, I know the odd one sneaks through on me, partly because I often turn off spellcheckers, and sometimes because I don't.

Respectfully

JF