Game on!......almost!

limeyangler

I just watched Lake Wabigoon go from open water to ice cover in one afternoon! There are still a few open puddles and i cant see the whole lake...none the less...pretty cool! I woke to strong winds and minus 15...i was watching the steam rise off the lake thinking...well there goes the last of the heat from the water...wasn't wrong! temps all double digit minus and upto -21 nights on the 15 day forecast....i'll give it a week and a half before i'm drilling holes.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched Lake Wabigoon go from open water to ice cover in one afternoon! There are still a few open puddles and i cant see the whole lake...none the less...pretty cool! I woke to strong winds and minus 15...i was watching the steam rise off the lake thinking...well there goes the last of the heat from the water...wasn't wrong! temps all double digit minus and upto -21 nights on the 15 day forecast....i'll give it a week and a half before i'm drilling holes.

Game on indeed...hope for ice with no snow and tie up your skates for some classic canadian style ice fishing. Just don't do too many figure 8's in one spot!stretcher.gif

Anyone else do the "skate fishing" method? I hope for that every year.

Edited by Rod Caster

Ice any thicker now, Limey? It's been a week and a half....where's the report?!?! whistling.gif

LOL, he's out on it fishing I bet...

I have sunk into a deep depression....i cant remember the last time i did not fish once in 2 weeks...the physical withdrawal symptoms are almost upon me, the mental symptoms started much earlier.

The ice formed in one afternoon a week and a half ago as you said JB, and that evening it started to snow...and has not stopped..i snowblowed everyday last week...the snowdrifts in my yard were upto 5' high.

There is no safe ice here at all, and temps are set to be pretty high for this time of the year...with over 2 feet of snow on the ice....1/2"....it dont look good.

I did get out today thinking there would be enuff...only to find absolutely no ice at Eagle lake...just a 1" layer of frozen slush with 2 feet of snow on top.....and in front of our house the nice 2" of clear ice with 4" of hard white ice has turned to a similar consistency of the ice we found at Eagle lake.....very depressing....here's 2 pictures from today.....

003-2.jpg

001-3.jpg

thanks for thinking about me....i have to go to the chemist now and get my medication.....lol

I hear ya Simon... all this snow is no good for our ice!! I just hope the big lakes were open when we got the big dump monday night. Some of the boys got out on one of the stocked trout lakes last weekend for limits of splake. All the snow since then might have sunk the 'good' ice though. I feel your pain! There's too much snow for my snowmachine too!!

I hear ya Simon... all this snow is no good for our ice!! I just hope the big lakes were open when we got the big dump monday night. Some of the boys got out on one of the stocked trout lakes last weekend for limits of splake. All the snow since then might have sunk the 'good' ice though. I feel your pain! There's too much snow for my snowmachine too!!

My snowmachine is useless too with all this snow, i cant even get on Wabigoon off my lawn as its upto 3'-4' deep on the slope down to the water! I certainly wont be 'breakin' any trails this year!

Look on the bright side of things Ben & Simon, it will help with the water levels :thumbsup_anim:

I was fortunate this year to witness the low water levels in NWO but heard a few tales about it ;)

This is true Whopper, Lac Seul was quite the sight at walleye opener....around 5' down on normal levels.

This is true Whopper, Lac Seul was quite the sight at walleye opener....around 5' down on normal levels.

I had to edit my post "I wasn't fortunate enough" :angry:

Thing is not only were you guys dealing with the low water levels it effected everything else down stream.

I hope you guys get the good ice your looking for and enough snow this winter to keep everybody happy :thumbsup_anim:

I'm thinking we won't have good ice anywhere in this neck of the woods,tooooo much sno on thin ice = lots of slush,air holes,unsafe conditions etc.Even -40 C wont make up for all that sno.

The lake in front of my place is still wide open(Blue Lk),might have good ice if it gets cold enuf before the next big sno event.