Update on the Crank Baits & Spinnerbaits

Leecher

Like I said in my previous post, here's an update on the rattling crank baits I was making. Got a couple of clear coats on.... looks similar to a white BigO

DSC04403.jpg

Finished installing the split rings and hooks then last Monday I had sent in an order into Luremaking.com and received it today. In this order I chose the different components and colors to make my own spinnerbaits. Ordered enough to make 10 spinnerbaits and wasn't disappointed :D

DSC04401.jpg

The spinnerbait heads were unpainted so I started to paint them but I needed something to hang them on..... so I improvised.... used my ice fishing rods & holders :P

Here they are after a couple of coats of white

DSC04404.jpg

DSC04405.jpg

Then added the final touch to the eyes and applied a couple of clear coats

DSC04407.jpg

DSC04406.jpg

After that, well I couldn't resist :lol: so I made one chartreuse and one white just to see :lol:

Results - White

DSC04409.jpg

Chartreuse

DSC04408.jpg

I like these two color patterns and think will be killer for bass, pike and pickerel. The great thing about it is, it cost me $3.86 each B)

Here's the rundown of the components that I chose:

1/4oz Ultra heads unpainted

Molded 3D eyes 5/32" glow/black

5" Silicon Skirts white/hot pink tip & chartreuse/orange tip

Fluorescent 3D acrylic beads pink & yellow #4

Crane swivel nickel color #7

Split rings - bright stainless steel #3

Stirrup clevices nickel color #3

Colorado blades - Steel hammered nickel #3

Willowleaf blades - Steel hammered nickel #3 1/2

Hope you enjoy

Leechman

Hey Jacques !! I guess you must be eating in Restaurants alot lately !!! cant see you using your kitchen since you turned it into a lure manufacturing plant !!!rofl2.gif

I got some kits a month ago. Waiting till January so i dont go into hibernation mode.

Nice job on the lures BTWthumbsup_anim.gif

Personally, I have always used metal beads because I'm afraid that Acrilic beads will shatter when I bounce my baits off of rocks and docks etc.

Let us know how yours workout.

Thanks

Garry2R's

Good point Garry!!! The reason I chose the acrylic beads vs the metal ones is because they illuminate under water and wanted to match the color of the head and skirt :)

Thanks for your insights :thumbsup_anim:

I'll certainly report on how they workout B)

Hey Jacques !! I guess you must be eating in Restaurants alot lately !!! cant see you using your kitchen since you turned it into a lure manufacturing plant !!!rofl2.gif

I got some kits a month ago. Waiting till January so i dont go into hibernation mode.

Nice job on the lures BTWthumbsup_anim.gif

LOL Thanks Paul!!! No, that was after supper LOL just to relax actually :P Looking forward to seeing your lures when you get around to it :whistling::lol:

They,ll never sell here on Simcoe.White is the color here.LOL

Very nice Jacques.

JMO,I dont like the closed/twist loop. I preferr the open style.IMO,gives better vibration.

Also try the combination of a nickle smooth willow and a brass colorado combo.

Edited by BrianB

If you find that you have to change them please let me know.

A few years ago when I was making a lot of Musky baits I bought a ton of nickle and brass beads in different sizes.

firetiger.jpg

I still have hundreds on hand and would be pleased to mail you whatever you need if it turns out that you have to retro-fit with metal ones.

Edited by garry2rs

They,ll never sell here on Simcoe.White is the color here.LOL

Very nice Jacques.

JMO,I dont like the closed/twist loop. I preferr the open style.IMO,gives better vibration.

Also try the combination of a nickle smooth willow and a brass colorado combo.

LOL Thanks Brian!!! You mean the R-bend type.... I've got those in my tackle box and used them with wire leaders and they don't perform like the twisted ones.... they get caught up :wallbash: I now tie directly to the lure and have no problems what so ever :)

As for the blades, the steel hammered nickel is more appealing to me and in my opinion will produce more reflection in the water :)

If you find that you have to change them please let me know.

A few years ago when I was making a lot of Musky baits I bought a ton of nickle and brass beads in different sizes.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc128/Garry2rs/firetiger.jpg

I still have hundreds on hand and would be pleased to mail you whatever you need if it turns out that you have to retro-fit with metal ones.

Awesome Garry B) I'll certainly not hesitate in asking if I have to retro-fit :good:

Thanks my friend!!!

I bought a few of the colour patterns you made, do the red and white work good?

I haven't tried them yet but I'm confident the red & white will work as expected..... those 2 colors have been around for some time now in different lure types, like the infamous red & white spoon (red Devil) so I think fish will react the same.... only way to find out is to give them a try ;)

C'est beau mon homme!!!

Les Entreprises Leechman Inc.2010

Is stock available on the TSE yet?

Randy

:canadian:

Merci Randy!!! I'm afraid TSE stock is not available yet :( but a future possibility :)

Edited by Leechman

The spinnerbaits look great Leechman! I really like the red/white combo. Try making a couple with bigger blades too. They will give off more flash and vibration. Those look like they would catch some pike in the spring.

Thanks WeedLine!!! Good point on the blade size :good:

Hey Leechman, those baits look like you have been making them for years. All I can say is they look awesome. Good job and hold on tight when you start firing them around your favorite spots.

Thanks fish_fishburn!!! I can't wait to give them a try B)

I think this thumbsup_anim.gif pretty much sums it up Jacques.

Thanks Chris!!!

Very nice work. I look forward to seeing pics of those with some hawgs stuck on 'em!Gonefishing.gif

Thanks Rod Caster!!!

just wondering do you think that the kit is the best way to go or should i just order the bits and pieces seperatly

archer, if it's your first time building spinnerbaits, I recommend buying a kit so you get familiar with the different components and also the kits come with step by step instructions on how to put it together which is great.

That's what I did for my very first ones :) I did a little homework before ordering separately (choosing the different component size) and I'm quite happy with the end results B)

Hope this helps you make your decision.

I like the closed loop way better than the R bend just for the reason you mentioned. I actually sold all my R bend spinnerbaits because of this.

Jacques, I still have your original big O replica and I did use it this year but still no luck with it. I will send it back to you so you can have it for your museum but I will do so at the end of spring. I want one more shot at catching a fish with your original. I have not forgotten and it is still in good condition.

Congrats on the spinnerbaits, I love them

I like the closed loop way better than the R bend just for the reason you mentioned. I actually sold all my R bend spinnerbaits because of this.

Jacques, I still have your original big O replica and I did use it this year but still no luck with it. I will send it back to you so you can have it for your museum but I will do so at the end of spring. I want one more shot at catching a fish with your original. I have not forgotten and it is still in good condition.

Congrats on the spinnerbaits, I love them

Thanks Chris!!! Yes "little woody"..... I remember now :)B) No need to send it back as I have made another version of it with some slight modifications.... just didn't have the time to test this year.... plus I have one that I glued onto a plaque on my trophy wall :)

Glad you're going to give it another go :good: Hope you can nail one with it :)

Tight lines