Some Sweet New Lures

solopaddler

Looks like you got your hands on a nice little collection. I was always the skeptic about pricey crankbaits until I start using some lucky craft this past summer. What can I say? The bass wouldn't leave them alone.

Did you find a retailer in that just got a shipment or something? I know megabass tackle is usually pretty rare in the GTA, especially if you want variety.

Do they all rattle? edit: Im assuming "quiet griffons" are just that... quiet.

Edited by ctranter

Looks like you got your hands on a nice little collection. I was always the skeptic about pricey crankbaits until I start using some lucky craft this past summer. What can I say? The bass wouldn't leave them alone.

Did you find a retailer in that just got a shipment or something? I know megabass tackle is usually pretty rare in the GTA, especially if you want variety.

Do they all rattle? edit: Im assuming "quiet griffons" are just that... quiet.

No local retailer, had to buy them online. And yeah the quiet ones have no rattles...

http://bassdozerstore.blogspot.com/2010/10/megabass-griffon-6cc-compact-crankbait.html

I have fished with a lot of guys using a lot of different lures, the fact that theirs had a Cadillac price didn`t equate to the catching more fish.

In general I agree with you, but 4 times recently I had my :asshat: handed to me by a buddy throwing these baits for steelhead. The proof as they say is in the pudding.

(They are deadly baits for steelhead)

You do have to replace the small rear treble with a beefier #6 or you'll lose fish though.

Edited by solopaddler

I got myself a Griffon Zero over the summer, but didn't have too much luck throwing it. Good to hear they are actually really good for other people though. I think I'll have to try again next year with them harder.

BTW, that looks like a good 200 dollar splurge! Lots of colours!

Edited by EC1

Those are some nice baits ,I bet you can't wait too use them !

I have some "Pop Max" baits and they are great , some days you can't keep the

bass off them !!!

They are expensive though but worth it and they don't touch pike waters for

obvious reasons , just bass lakes .

Any luck with those cranks for bass or just steelhead ?

No local retailer, had to buy them online. And yeah the quiet ones have no rattles...

In general I agree with you, but 4 times recently I had my asshat.gif handed to me by a buddy throwing these baits for steelhead. The proof as they say is in the pudding.

(They are deadly baits for steelhead)

You do have to replace the small rear treble with a beefier #6 or you'll lose fish though.

So you use them for steelhead....this is making a lot more sense now biggrin.gif "Megabass" and "Solopaddler" just didn't seem to go together in my head. Are these another option for "froggy" water....or do you back them into pools a la "hotshot" technique?

So you use them for steelhead....this is making a lot more sense now biggrin.gif "Megabass" and "Solopaddler" just didn't seem to go together in my head. Are these another option for "froggy" water....or do you back them into pools a la "hotshot" technique?

Well actually they will be used for Bass as well.

But right now as mentioned for steelhead. Not necessarily in frogwater either.

They dive 6-7' and generally you're bumping the lip off rocks and occasionally stopping and letting them float up.

Many of the hits are coming as the lure is floating up.

They're a very tiny subtle bait with a very pronounced wobble. They cast incredibly well and are an excellent excellent bait for triggering strikes from inactive steelhead.

But right now as mentioned for steelhead. Not necessarily in frogwater either.

They dive 6-7' and generally you're bumping the lip off rocks and occasionally stopping and letting them float up.

Many of the hits are coming as the lure is floating up.

They're a very tiny subtle bait with a very pronounced wobble. They cast incredibly well and are an excellent excellent bait for triggering strikes from inactive steelhead.

Now you're talking my language Mike...much as I love getting chrome on the drift, feeling that strike on hardware is hard to beat. Nice looking lures!!

I used the Storm Wee Steelie Warts, they are no longer made, the only difference I could see between them and the regular Wee Warts was a bigger stronger hook, which also made them a great bass lure.

You can still find them on ebay but the west coast steelhead fisherman and collectors do drive the price up. Still usually cheaper than the megabass.