PROBLEM NO OWNERSHIP

e-z-out

Ok guys need your help on this one.

Looking to buy this sled but here is the problem

700 CCTWIN,DOME HEADS,FAST PIPES,TRAIL PORTING DONE BY IANTAMOSI,CLUTCHED AND STUDDED READY TO GO!NEW TRACK,ALL NEW BEARINGS,EVERYTHING BEEN REPLACED,CLEAN SLED !VERY FAST!BEATS ALL THE NEW 800 S!ONLY PROBLEM NO OWNERSHIP!ITS A LEGAL MACHINE!IT WAS NEVER REGISTER IN ONTARIO!THATS WHY SELLING CHEAP!1600.00 FIRM!!!!!!!!

Or you can read it off the add

how do i check if the sled is not stolen?

Jose...

It is up to the current owner to take the bill of sale into the MTO to get an ownership before you purchase the sled.

It would be nothing but headaches for you to do it after the purchase.

If the vehicle is legitimate, the current owner will have a bill of sale from where he purchased.

If it is just a matter of the ownership being lost, he can get a replacement.

If it was never registered in Ontario, the out of province ownership will suffice to have it transferred.

If it was never registered in Canada, the current may have to swear to an affidavit before a lawyer indicating that he is the owner and legally in possession of the sled.

Without the ownership, you could be fighting alot of expensive battles to get the sled legally registered.

Where did the sled originate that it doesn't have an ownership?

Cheers

Craig

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

seems about 1000 too cheap for that sled to me...

and the owner would have received SOME sort of document upon purchasing the sled.

my sled is used and i was able to trace it's usage back to homeland security in the US using it at the 2002 Salt Lake City olympics...

if there's NO proven history of this sled i'd be suspicious, and not just of it being stolen.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Well... a buddy of mine has been through this.. and he had to get the serial #'s from the sled and bring it to the police so they could check it out ... all numbers came back clean.

and he went ahead to the MTO and registered it as a "custom" or "home-built" sled.

Have you ever owned a sled of that stature?

P.S Modified engines have been modified for a reason usually because it's been popped .. and popped re-built and supped up high performance engines are known to pop even more.

I'd spend the extra few $ or maybe even less on an equal or adequate sled and save on the Tylenol for the headaches that it might bring.

just my 2 cents + HST

Randy

:canadian:

From the MTO...

If you purchased a used vehicle in Ontario and the vehicle was previously unregistered, the following documents are required:

Old vehicle permit-if available (If the old vehicle permit is not available then a sworn affidavit is required. Please call ServiceOntario’s Driver and Vehicle Contact Centre at (416) 235-2999 or toll free (Canada Wide) 1-800-387-3445 for further information on contents of affidavit).

Completed and signed Application for Registration (available at Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Offices).

Safety Standards Certificate, if the vehicle is registered fit not required for trailers, motor assisted bicycles, off-road vehicles or motorized snow vehicles.

Plate portion of the permit if registrant attaching plate already owned

Bill of sale.

Proof of identity for applicant to verify their name, date of birth and signature.

Insurance information if the vehicle is plated, not required for trailers.

Payment for Harmonized Sales Tax.

For commercial vehicles and trailers whose empty weight is more than 900 kilograms, an Empty Weight Certificate is required.

Vehicle emissions inspection may be required if the vehicle is plated. To find out if your vehicle needs to pass an emissions test, call the Drive Clean Call Centre at 905-440-7482 or visit the Drive Clean website.

Payment for licensing fees: for plates and permit, $20 or $35 for a trailer plate or $10 if plates that are already owned are attached. For plate validation, the owner will be required to pay for the validation period from the date of vehicle registration to the assigned validation expiry. Trailer plates do not require validation.

Fee for off-road vehicle plate and permit is $35, validation is not required.

Fee for motorized snow vehicle registration (decal) and permit is $30 and annual validation is $15.

I'd be in the same boat if I went to sell any of my 4 wheelers.. none have ever been registered.... But I do have bills of sale and would get the prospective buyer an "ownership" as part of the deal.

Oh.. and remember you aren't in a big hurry pulling a hut. You want something good in all conditions and DEPENDABLE!

Edited by irishfield

Regarding Insurance;

You cannot insure the sled without proof of ownership/registration. Even with o/r your insurance company may decline insurance due to modifications, so I would check with your insurance agent/company that the sled qualifies for insurance with the mods before purchasing. If you have a good relationship with your insurance agent, they can check the VIN history (if they are willing).

If you're thinking of 'foregoing' insurance based on the value/deal, think about LIABILITY (don't do it).

Most important, if you are not 100% certain that everything is 'above board' WALK AWAY!! You'll never regret it.

Regards,

Pikeslayer

I would ask to see if they could acquire the ownership before putting more interest into the sled. Who knows, maybe they know the original owner. If they stumble, ask them how much it's worth to them in a dollars to do the leg work and acquire the title themselves. You can then use that measure as your risk factor and go from there. If they don't know how to go about it, perhaps you can guide them with the details mentioned above in this thread. Test them to see how they answer and develop your own judgment through that. Otherwise, save yourself a big headache. Just a thought.

I just went through this, what i had to do was get a sworn affidavit from my lawyer stating that to the best of my knowledge the sled was not stolen and i am the rightful owner, take that to the DMV and as long as it dosent come up stolen in their records they will switch the owner ship over.

Affidavit cost like 30 bucks