Dog advise

motion

Hey guys. I have been contemplating adding another dog to our family. We already own a little Shih Tzu who is almost 11 years old now. He is strictly an indoor pet for the kids and I now have a place up north that I intend on spending my weekends fishing both soft and hard water.

I have narrowed my choices down to a Lab (chocolate would be nice) or a Siberian Husky. I realize they are completely different types of dogs and have never owned either. I am leaning towards the Lab as I could use a new fishing buddy as well. I know there are a lot of dog owners on the board and would appreciate your experiences with either breed. Male or female preference?

How are they as family pets? I have a large fenced in backyard and already walk daily (so exercising him/her shouldn't be an issue. I work and my wife is in and out all day running errands for me.

I thank you all in advance for your help.

Last year the family and I were going through the same debate I had never had a dog before so we did alot of asking and looking around before we picked out our new family member he is a black lab and has fit right into our family its like he has been here for years. The Labs are so easy to train and super smart. I would not trade him in even thought he is full of energy he is amazing with the kids my son 5 can ride on his back and be all over the dog and it does not fizz him at all.

He oves the boat but gets a little pissy if were not catching fish its funny watching him look at the reel as if he is waiting for a musky to make it scream.

enjoying the boat ride

2edf25c7.jpg

waiting for the rod to go off

fafbb3ed.jpg

a little ticked off at me when we were not getting fish

c2fe0503.jpg

We've had a lab for quite a few years now. After my wife's lab died 5 years ago, we went and got another one.

The labs we have are GREAT with children - even young children. Just last night our grandson, who is 1 year old, was playing the with dog, lying on her, petting her, etc., and she just loved it. She goes on all of our fishing trips, is great in the boat, loves to play in the water, and is a great companion. I don't think you'll regret the choice of a lab.

I have no personal experience with the Siberian, so I can't help you out there.

I have had both breeds of dogs and can tell you this.

The Labs are easier to train and shed waaaaaaaaay less hair!!!

My mutt sheds 24/7/365 and has 3 layers of hair!!!! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Thank god for winter when the shedding slows down a bit.

My husky has taken a lot of work to get him semi trained. :whistling:

Huskies also take longer to mature and settle down than Labs as well.

But they are better in the climate I am living in now than a Lab.

Here's a shot of the hairy beast lounging around camp on Great Slave. :D

P7050030.jpg

Forgot to mention he like fishing and boating too!!! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Flash.jpg

P9240031.jpg

Edited by DRIFTER_016

lab for sure.they love the water,they are good with people and mine is smarter than me. I know, I know, how can that be....Easy its a female. Good tempered and she loves her daddy. I find females are a better listeners and they are eager to please.(The lab)blink.gif

Just my experience.

Hey mercman, any problems with her going into heat etc.? I know the females are also generally a little bit smaller in size as well (which I wouldn't mind). Dont let my wife know she's that smart though........... :w00t:

2 Labs

7 year old named Sheba

10 months old named Princess (name credit goes to my 4 year old daughter)

3 Kids

4 year old

1.5 Year old

And a bun in the oven! lol

Sometimes the dogs can be a pain in the :asshat: but then again so can my kids and I love them more than the world! :)

Labs are all around great dogs, especially if you have the time to walk them and train them properly! It's been a bit o a hurdle for us and the puppy but we've got a fairly busy household. Lucky for us, and the dogs we live in the country and they have an entire farmers field at their disposal in our back yard!

Cheers,

Ryan

Rich, is yours an indoor dog or does she stay outside most of the day?

Thanks for your input.

Strictly indoors. Now, labs do shed. But, in the summer time, we have her shaved. Looks a little funny being shaved, but it certainly cuts down on the dog hair. So, our yellow lab looks kinda white, with a yellow tinge, during the summer months. During the winter, we let her fur grow normally.

Ahhhhh, he's a real cutie! I was worried about the shedding as well. I think that's why I'm now leaning towards the Lab.

Not all Labrador Retrievers are created equal. [in general] The chocolate are the slowest to mature and the black are the smartest. The yellow is somewhere in between. The chocolate for some reason also seem to have the most health issues [again in general] usually allergies.

The "Golden" is not a Labrador Retriever colour and is actually a Golden Retriever.

The best thing you could do is run your requirements through an online breed selector such as this one.

Breed selector

Everyone on the forum will have their own bias, including me. Another option is to rescue an unwanted dog.

Good luck in selecting your new family member.

I have had Husky breeds for most of my life. I have a 11/2 year old male Syberian right now. They are great dogs but are totally wired for high gear all the time. They can be stubborn at times but are very happy dogs when you put them to work. Mine hauls all my gear out on the ice for me in the winter and just loves it. They are a very loyal dog and like to please but they need alot of your time for training. And when their coat blows out....well let's not go there. There great to take out on the mountian bike cause you barely have to peddle. :unsure: If you were to get one, introduce it to the water as soon as possible and you will have a good fishing buddy. You have to watch the heat though in the summer months.

Hey mercman, any problems with her going into heat etc.? I know the females are also generally a little bit smaller in size as well (which I wouldn't mind). Dont let my wife know she's that smart though........... w00t.gif

We had her "fixed" so no problems there(not that she was brokenblush.gif ) I had a female cocker once and we didnt get her done.Every month doggy diapers.Get her spayed for sure.Mine was up and around in a day and a half.

I have had all kinds of purebreds..lots of golden retrievers. But I have to say that the nicest, most gentle dog I have ever had was my mutt from the local shelter. I got him cause my golden was very active and needed someone that could keep up to him. Jack is a very sweet dog and is very sensitive and likes to talk alot.

Labs and retrievers are great with kids. Labs can be aggressive so make sure of either the complete lineage or get an adult with a known history. But overall they are amazing with kids and love to be part of a pack. I do have to give a special push to getting a dog from a shelter when all is said and done. Somehow it seems they are just more grateful.

Kelev the golden retriever...

n705181015_2066133_3431560.jpg

Jack the pound mutt...sweetest dog ever

25884_332236476015_705181015_4077964_7501028_n.jpg

Here is my little guy Ozzie. He's in great shape for an 11 year old dog. Still very active but surprizingly not a yapper. He really thinks he's a big dog but only 10 lbs soaking wet. Hates water and the outdoors but still a big part of our family.

I have had two Labs. #1 thing with both of them was they HAD to run. Off leash, either retrieving or just running about in a field. If not, they got depressed, literally. They are high energy dogs, that love the outdoors. Be forewarned, once they are taught to retrieve, it is all they really want to do. Good luck with your hunt!

Edited by Harrison

Here is my little guy Ozzie. He's in great shape for an 11 year old dog. Still very active but surprizingly not a yapper. He really thinks he's a big dog but only 10 lbs soaking wet. Hates water and the outdoors but still a big part of our family.

Very cute pup motion.

Would recommend a lab no question. We had Ben our Yellow Lab for almost 13 years. He went to doggy heaven almost a year ago. He was my buddy and I still think about him every day.

Benson_1.jpg

Labs are not maintenance free dogs. At certain times of the year they shed like a bugger and need a lot of brushing otherwise you will have hair on every surface in the house. They do need exercise and are susceptible to heat stroke if in the sun for long periods without shade. I can't stress enough that you need to buy from a reputable breeder who cares about lineage and has the background on the sire and the dam. Hip issues, allergies, ear infections are common with labs.

Shoot me an e-mail if you want a recommendation.