After 25 yrs of fishing it 'had' to happen

Well I honestly never thought the day would come but after fishing for over 25 years I got my first hook embedded into my hand.

It didn't hurt going in but I will tell you I thought they would come out A LOT easier.... :stretcher:

A lesson learned for sure. I was 'lipping' a smallie boatside. Just as I went to grab it, it did a bunch of headshakes. I didn't even feel it go in but as the fish went crazy I felt the hook deep in my thumb..WOW, it was the worst. It continued to do what a caught fish does (flip out lol) with the hook still deep in my thumb. I had my friend hold the fish totally still while I removed the hook from the fish. Tossed the fish back without harm and started surgery. I removed the hook from the lure then started on the HARD part.

This was a brand new hook. It went in pretty deep. I have seen hooks removed before by wrapping some braid around the shank and giving it a yank but I figured it was too deep so I opted to push it through.

I will tell you it was not fun. I thought it would come out so much easier but that was not the case.

Moral of the story, always be super cautious no matter how many times you have done it before....I guess I got complacent and paid for it.

Here is the video...its not disgusting but maybe not for the faint at heart. I actually find it amusing because I had my buddies kids on the boat and they could have cared less. It is pretty funny to listen to the little guys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gIRbe4OUHA

Edited by rippinlipsfishingteam

I had that happen with a minnow harness. the hook broke off in my finger..had to pust it thru like you just did. The only thing we did different was I had my friend push down with his thumb nail beside the hook to break the skin..Was alot smoother then that removal..Ouch, and im glad it didnt ruin your day...

Yes I forgot to mention that....we tried 'my' method of pushing it through for a good ten minutes. Then it was time to put the camera down hahaha....he had to apply a LOT of pressure on both sides of the hook point so I could actually get it through.

I would hate to see what it would be like with a rusty dull hook :unsure:

happen to me last year in the rivers.

caught my first salmon and it beached itself.

tried to remove the hook and the salmon took off stretching the line and the hook poping out slinging back into my index finger(joint)

at that point there was no way it was coming out by pushing it out so i had to either cut or pull.... i decided to pull lol. I still have the scar to remind me about that experience.

Seeing I have a low thereshold for pain I would have went to the hospital and had them freeze the finger and then remove the hook.

It`s amazing that it does not happen more often, glad your okay!

thanks. but it doesnt happen often because last year i didnt catch as many.

Guest Johnny Bass

Brutal man. Not a great feeling.I had mine embedded straight down. Gotta feel sorry for these Musky guys that get those big hooks stuck in them! :stretcher: I had only one believer and I sold it! Spinner baits or bucktails for me!

Same thing happened to me this summer, except I was alone on a back lake 9 miles from anyone up in Temagami. I strongly suggest you make a quick trip to your doctor - I didn't (being 600 ks away from mine) and my finger got infected three days later. Within 18 hours of a small red swelling from the infection starting, not the wound, it had swollen so much it almost cut off all the circulation. My hook was new too - a Storm minnow only been in the water once before. My Dr (once I got into see him) told me I got to him just in time - any longer and I might have lost the finger due to lack of blood flow. Interstingly enough he said the same thing about removing the hook - best way is to tie line to it and qucikly rip it out. Too bad he wasn't in the boat. Hurt like all get out using pliers. Give a whole new meaning to catch and release (relief) though.whistling.gif .....

Now if you used Tro Kar hooks it would of went through like butter :P In all seriousness that sucks man, I remember the feeling. Had a hook get in my pinky finger...wimped out and got it taken out at the hospital though and just kept fishing for the remainder of the day...got back and they froze the finger then just pushed it through.

Glad you managed to get it out on your own.

Doesn't always go so well.

After trying for more than 2 hours, I had to have a large hook cut out of my finger in hospital a few years ago.

Ironic to see a doc yanking on the hook with his shiny "fishing pliers." <_<

Wasn't fun. Doogy Howser almost ended up a patient. :angry:

Finally got the scalpel to it, cut the finger to the bone, remove the hook and put a few stitches in.

Next day, I was back on the water catching salmon and trout again. :thumbsup_anim:

A can of compressed gas duster "dust off" stored in the boat goes a long way in numbing a hand up.You can then as Hammercarp mentioned a backer to help push it thru. I use my needle nose pliers opened slightly to make a firm backer to push thru too. After you get it out a little more freeze juice to stop the bleeding then pour on the alcohol and bandage. A word of caution is if you move a finger that is in the path of the hook and you feel a pulling up or down line of the hook it could be a tendon has been hooked if that is the case tape the hook to yourself and have a doctor remove it.

Art