Worm harnesses

cwpowell

~~~I always have trouble holding the Worm still while trying to get the Harness onand the buckles are almost impossible with my big fingers. Does anyone know where you can get worms with the Harnesses already attached, it would a hell of a lot simpler. OH well back to my Jack Daniels, care on

Guest gbfisher

BP has some stuff to make yer own but Luremaking.com has it all. Odering is painless and can have you recieve what you need sometimes the next day. You'll get a catalog with your order.

They keep what you have ordered on file for next time as well. Saves driving around looking for what you need. :good:

No, I dont work for them...lol

Another option for beads it a local craft supply store. Some of the colours may not be all that manly (but they might be fishy), but you can often save a couple of bucks.

As to the components, I am a big fan of a quick change clevis. Blade size, colour and shape can be changed fast. The only time I don't use them is when I'm using super small blades.

We didnt have any packages to put them in so we have been putting them in old packages in case you were wondering.

I use ziploc bags, the small ones for cookies and crackers like stuff. Just coil them up and stuff them in. I can fit 40 harnesses into a 20 CD case(2 per CD insert). They sometimes do come out a bit tangled, but that is no real big deal. The CD case is hard to zipper closed with that many in it.

But, it is an extremely small and portable storage container.

I also make them only 18" long, and make up 18" lengtheners, with an ant swivel at the lead, and a snap swivel at the lure end. That way, I can add any length of lead I want behind the bottom bouncer, or whatever device you are using to get the lure down to, depending on the depth you(I) fish.

Edited by tjsa

BTW the go to color for sheaphead is orange. :whistling:

That's why most of mine are orange :thumbsup_anim: Sheephead the #1 game fish. :thumbsup_anim:

Orange is a very good Erie Walleye color.

cwpowell, I buy a lot of my beads at Michaels, big bags for just a few bucks.

I snell my hooks, for Erie harness, I use 1 single hook with one True Turn treble last.

I purchase some of my stuff at BPS, Le Baron, dollar stores and online. I am planning on ordered from luremaking.com when I make some more. Canadian company and the prices are good.

I use 17 to 24lb mono (Berkley Big Game is popular), depends what I have around. Length varies from 18" to 48". I store the final product in a small bag that you get at the dollar store. Tangles sometimes, but I don't really like the pool noodle type of storage. I like the idea of the CD storage case and may try that out.

I use various hooks. Typically Owner or Gamakatsu #2 and/or #4 Octopus hooks, but switched to VMC FastGrip Octopus hooks for my last batch based on recommendations I read on the net. I make both one and two hook harnesses. However, if I am planning on using them for minnows I would use either a single Octopus hook or perhaps a longer shank hook like an Aberdeen.

Beads are from the dollar store. I use plastic and glass in 4mm and 6mm.

I typically use Colorado blades in gold, silver or chartreuse in size 4 (solid colors are cheaper). I use size 3 and size 5/6 [i made some larger harnesses for pike fishing] sometimes too. I use the appropriate sized FOLDED clevices, usually in nickel. Don't get the ones used for spinnerbaits. The quick change clevices are nice too [and very popular], but more expensive.

I tie the hooks on using a snell knot.

I tie on a small barrel swivel at the other end using a Palomar knot. I like the Mustad Diamond Eye swivels, but have a bunch of Offshore Angler swivels that seem decent so far. If I make a loop I use a Surgeons Loop, but a Perfection Loop would work too. If you want top of the line swivels, you get them from Sampo.

I prefer to keep the cost at about $1, but I really try to make it <$2. I can buy some really nice pre-made harnesses for $2, so it makes me feel better if I can make it a bit cheaper =).

Have fun, you're soon going to have hundreds of harnesses, lol!!

Edited by FishLogic

I tie the hooks with a snell and use a double surgeons loop. If you really want to get fancy tie your top hook on as a slider. After tieing your bottom hook slide on your top hook just like you would normally but then run a second line through the eye and use that 2nd line to tie your top hook, wrapping also around your main line as you go and making sure you get it very tight. The nice thing about a slider rig is you can always adjust after rigging the crawler so it's running exactly like you want it to run. I mostly buy my beads at craft stores. I prefer the VMC hooks, and the size just depends, I use one size on Nipissing and smaller on my home lake. Bead color and size also depending. I mostly tie with 10lb Trilene XT. I used to buy most of my stuff from Stamina Inc, but it looks like they have been bought out. Luckily I have enough blades to last me for quite awhile.

A: palomar knot

B: Surgeon's knot ( make a long loop and make an overhand knot then do it again. So 2 wraps with the end line then tighten. 1 loop and the knot slips, 2 loops and the knot stays where it's at. Practice a little so the loop isn't too large, even so with a 3 ft leader the fish won't notice.)

For you guys who make your own harnesses, which knots do you use for;

a: attatching the line to the hook (snell knot?)

b: making a loop at the end of the line (perfection knot?)