Do you have a good minnow bucket?

Today I went fishing with my buddy in the marten river area for some walleye's, and we used his boat... I bought 5 dozen minnows this morning and when we got to the spot we started fishing and the bite was slow but we were still catching them we had three nice keepers and threw back several small ones THEN I reach for the minnow bucket and I see a minnow swimming beside the minnow bucket I'm like what the hell. I open up the minnow bucket and there was only about 10-12 minnows left and the way the fish where bitting it wasn't enough ! When that happend my buddy was like oh I forgot to tell you my minnow bucket dosen't close properly you gotta press hard... ( ah well it happends ) lol We fished the rest of the day with what we got using the minnows we had till it would basicly fell off the hook we caught several other small ones but no keepers... When we ran out of bait ( we ran out pretty fast ) I started using gulp and he started using mister twisters but the walleye werent active enought for plastics , we only caught smallmouthbass on the plastics :( :( whistling.gif I would recommend to buy a frabill minnow bucket, I told him to buy one like that too it's the best out there I never lost minnows with the frabill flow trolls ! :)

frabill4501flowtrollbucket.jpg

BEST MINNOW BUCKET EVER!

Are those buckets lockable? The reason I ask. When we used to do trips to the French we stayed at a Lodge with one big dock everyone tied up to.

Go down in the morning and our minnow buckets hanging in the water would be empty. After a couple of years of blaming the other fishermen for stealing our minnows at night we found that the other "fisherman" was a mink/weasel. He could get in and out of the bucket no problem. Talking to other guests we got the "Yeah those little buggers stole my minnows forever until I got a lockable bucket. We all have them now.

Something to consider if you plan on leaving your minnow bucket in the water overnight.

Yep there is a little latch that you can lock it but can't guarantee that it's mink proof lol I know for the old style minnow buckets with no lock we used to put a twist tie to keep them close if we left them overnight at a dock :)

Edited by AverageJoeFishing

After having some quality issues with Frabil, I'm glad I still have my trusty old Fenwick galvanized bucket, probably 20 years old and unless you run over it, it will last a long time. No issues with the lid popping open.

Can't remember the last time I even bought minnows for myself so neither of my buckets have been out of the basement in awhile....but I have the old galvanized one as well. My daughter is 24 and I know it's been around longer then her. You right Fisherman...you can't kill it. Sturdy and dependable...but make damn sure you have it out of the water before you try to motor up and go anywhere :blush:

make sure you Double check the minnow bucket when you are done fishing, There is a little gap near the top of the bucket where little minnows can get SUCK, bang the top HARD,

left in your van for a week...wow it STINKS.....

I still use an "Old Pal" plastic minnow pail. The outside pail is long gone but the inside minnow bucker is still working well after 25 years. Any ploastic pail will do for the outter pail. I tried the Fabrill but the lid kept falling off, lost too many minnows that way. I use a minnow bucket when shore fishing and leave the minnow bucket in the water. I've looked around for anther "old Pal" bucket and I was lucky enough to fine one at a garage sale.

muddler

After having some quality issues with Frabil, I'm glad I still have my trusty old Fenwick galvanized bucket, probably 20 years old and unless you run over it, it will last a long time. No issues with the lid popping open.

I also use the OLD style "round" galvanized minnow bucket but for a very good reason....it fits VERY nice in my live well upright.....I keep most of my minnow in it with the live well pump on cycle (comes on for 30 seconds every 3 minutes)...this works fantastic while fishing or if I'm staying overnight at a dock.

BUT here's a little bit of advice........DON'T use this bucket while buying bait because it's so small I really believe you get less minnows as there looks like a lot in that small bucket....instead I have a large 5 gallon bucket in the boat to purchase the minnows and then transfer them into the strainer part that will remain in my live well while fishing or as long as the boat is in the water.

Bob