Steelhead stillfishing

fishinguypat

So that means i put a sinker a few feet away from a hook and stop the sinker with a swivel, then put a sponge on my hook, and i'm practically guaranteed to snag them?

whereas if i use a #2 spinner, or put a worm instead of a sponge, i won't snag them?

I don't get it. stretcher.gif

Is 8 lb braid with 8 lb leader on a 6'6 medium enough to handle a salmon?

Bill my friend you still have a lot to learn.

We should go beach fishing at least once this fall. ;)

Yep. :D

I've done a lot of beach/shore fishing for steel over the years and the egg sinker floating bag set up is NOT a flossing technique in this situation.

Yep. :D

I've done a lot of beach/shore fishing for steel over the years and the egg sinker floating bag set up is NOT a flossing technique in this situation.

Uh huh. Best way to catch steelhead some days, especially when there's no water in the ditches and all the one-method Steelhead Masters are whining about a lack of rain.

Also works well in bigger rivers. Every day people catch rainbows in the lower Niagara by bottom bouncing with floating bags. Those fish aren't flossed either.

Also works well in bigger rivers. Every day people catch rainbows in the lower Niagara by bottom bouncing with floating bags. Those fish aren't flossed either.

Not too mention, fast stretches of the lower Saugeen!! Some of us have been bottom bouncing there for many years.

To me, feeling that hit with your fingers, is more fun than watching a float go down.

I watched a pinner and spinning outfit float "fisherman" lining salmon with their float gear Friday. ... Today I had another pinner lay the most EPIC lowhole on me while I was fishing. Could have nearly touched him with my rod.

I wish the bush leaguers would find a new hobby!

That was great on Friday! They started out fishing decent water, but the lure of the old boots was too much. Started looking up at where they were fishing and didn't take long to figure out what was up.

The boot brigade are getting waders, if it weren't for my antics middle run would have had 6 people in it on Sat. How did you make out?

Yep, no doubt about that.

Funniest part of whole story for everyone elses benefit, the cranky fly flingers were staying in the cabin right next to us LOL!

I made an off the cuff remark about being low holed and corn holed when one of them walked outside with a beer.

They were embarassed. :lol:

Hope your weekend went well bud, check your emails.

That was a classic one for sure, they walked by grumbling about it....wasn't long before word spread about those upstart Canadian centerpinners. We've got to do that again, what a blast!!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

How did you make out?

I put in an evening fish Sun(pre-Greyhounds game). 3/3 but nothing too big. Hopefully drop a few floats this evening.

Bill,

While you did give good advice with regards to float fishing, the flossing comment was really unnecessary. It's not like the guy suggested putting a hook on the line and then a sinker 2 feet down the line (an actual flossing rig). With the egg sinker first and then a leader/hook, even if the steelhead get the line caught in their mouth they are likely to bump off it once they get down to the egg sinker. This is especially true if you use a longer leader, like you should.

Go down to Angus, everybody fishes on bottom due to the non-existant current up there. I went there with my pin gear and a friendly local told me the right way to fish this area. Sometime bottom bouncinh is the only way to go. BillM your steelhead elietist mentality is a major fail. Stick to flossing your teeth.

I seem to remember another steelhead thread that went this way pinners Vs the "other" methods for catching steelhead.

Bottom bouncing if done correctly is a very effective way of catching steelhead and is most definitely not flossing. I have seen people do this on the Saugeen, Maitland, Bayfield, nine-mile to name but a few rivers. I personally have found that still fishing for steelhead is a good way of doing it, but often results on you sitting on your hands for a while as you cannot possibly cover the same amount of water that you would with a float.

Go down to Angus, everybody fishes on bottom due to the non-existant current up there. I went there with my pin gear and a friendly local told me the right way to fish this area. Sometime bottom bouncinh is the only way to go. BillM your steelhead elietist mentality is a major fail. Stick to flossing your teeth.

LOL!!!!

This thread is hilarious. The amount of panties that are all torn up about it is comical. I guess everyone missed my sarcasm with my original reply and that's fine. A sarcastic reply deserves an equal amount of sarcastic answers. I'm always up for some good ribbing, whether it be at my expense or not.

Now to Chancho the local Angus expert, if you are going to insult someone, at least get your spelling correct and lose the cool kiddie internet talk. I've fished Angus multiple times and never had a problem banking fish with the pin. 99% of the guys I see down there are drifting presentations under floats.

Chancho I agree with Bill about the Angus area, float fishing is more effective there for sure.

I am not saying bottom rigging or bottom bouncing is not effective, it's just kinda boring, if you place your rod in a makeshift rod holder and wait for a fish to come to your bait. Rather than bringing the bait to the fish and covering more water.

The only situation where bottom bouncing is really more effective than float fishing is in extremely deep and fast current, where the weight of the bottom bouncing rig slows down the whole presentation for the fish, thereby giving the fish a chance to look at the bait and strike.

For the love of God, lock this thread, ha ha, lol

Edited by bongo

Chancho I agree with Bill about the Angus area, float fishing is more effective there for sure.

I am not saying bottom rigging or bottom bouncing is not effective, it's just kinda boring, if you place your rod in a makeshift rod holder and wait for a fish to come to your bait. Rather than bringing the bait to the fish and covering more water.

The only situation where bottom bouncing is really more effective than float fishing is in extremely deep and fast current, where the weight of the bottom bouncing rig slows down the whole presentation for the fish, thereby giving the fish a chance to look at the bait and strike.

nah I kind of want to see how this all plays out whistling.gif

It's not about effectiveness at all. He probably wanted to set up an easy chair and relax with the rest of his friends and enjoy a nice fall day. Hardware chucking, float fishing, fly fishing etc doesn't offer that. The sitting that is :P.

A lots of good tangents were discussed here. Good thread :).

It's not about effectiveness at all. He probably wanted to set up an easy chair and relax with the rest of his friends and enjoy a nice fall day. Hardware chucking, float fishing, fly fishing etc doesn't offer that. The sitting that is :P. thumbsup_anim.gif

A lots of good tangents were discussed here. Good thread :).

exactly why this thread was about still fishing thumbsup_anim.gif (but turned int flossing? sad.gif)

It's not about effectiveness at all. He probably wanted to set up an easy chair and relax with the rest of his friends and enjoy a nice fall day.

You are probably correct. That is what I love about carp fishing. Get organized, cast out and have a good chat with whoever your fishing buddies are for the day. Feed the chipmunks and ducks that come to visit and chat with anyone else who seems curious at what your up to. It's not for everyone, but I certainly enjoy it.

It's not always about catching fish.

Wow Bill you really are getting beat up this time. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't come across in text messges without this guy :sarcasm:

:D

Funny thread but some good info to be had if it doesn't fall off the rails.

I personally get annoyed when steelheading gets broken down into us vs them groups. Some guys like to use a float and centrepin, some guys like to fly fish, others throw lures, or bottom bounce and still fish. I think the one thing everyone can agree on all these tactics can catch fish and all have been abused by certain "anglers" and used a guise to snag.