Ice fishing hut help

Big Cliff

Well, since they are allowing ice fishing here I had thought about building a hut. I started looking at plans on the internet and found a few but they were either too expensive to build, too heavy for me to move, or just plain too darn much work for an old guy like me. Besides, they weren't all that portable, all I have is an ATV and trying to pull a hut in deep snow isn't something I want to do.

I started looking at the Sub Zero Tundra Tuff 4-man Ice Shelter and it looks like it is light enough for me to handle, would give me the ability to fish different waters when and if I want to, and CTC has them listed for $299.00 which I could probably talk the family into giving me as a combined Christmas present.

Mostly it would just be me and one or two other people but I can't find any information on the dimensions of it. If you have one, would you buy another one? What would be the best heater to use in it? There is also a similar product called an Ice Cube, are they similar or identical?

Any and all feedback would be much appreciated!

Big Cliff

Before I go putting it on my wish list I thought it would be better to ask this crew a few questions:

Which way would you go if it was up to you?

Hey Cliff.

I have a clam 2000 and it's great for 2 people. Clam products are top notch and I haven't read much on the others. Maybe HT has something decent too? As for a heater? I have the coleman blackcat and it works very well. It uses the 1LB bottle and the Lowes by me is selling the Mr.Heater refilling adaptor to fill from your 20LB tank for under $20. I hope that helps. Oh and Costco get stuff in from time to time too.

Geoff

hey Cliff, I have had a 2 man Ice cube for about 5 years .. love it ... when I am fishing alone ... about 3 years ago I got the 4 man ...the 4 man is perfect for two of you ... lots of room for 2 chairs and coleman-cat heater and coolers/thermos etc ... and its VERY light ... goes up in only a few minutes and has AWESOME Ice screws to keep it in place even in high winds ... I have tried a few but the ICE Cube does it for me ... I use mine every year up on Lake Joseph for the lakers ...price is also in the $200 - $300 range - cant honestly remember (I got one off of ebay and the other was a christmas gift from my better half)...anyhow .. other BIG selling point for me is that I can put it up all by my lonesome ... in under 5 minutes... I believe the dimensions on my 4 man are 8ft x 8ft x 7ft high.

Edited by camillj

I have the Ice Cube 4 man hut Cliff and like it very much. My understanding is that it is identical to the Sub Zero one which I believe is a Canadian Tire house brand. Sets up in about 5 minutes and weighs about 23 pounds making it very portable.

One drawback is no floor. Not a problem for me but might be a deal breaker for some. As far as it being it suitable for 4 adults however, maybe 4 very close friends. More realistic is, comfortable for two and snug for 3. Combine it with a good portable heater and you are good to go.

Hey Cliff

I have a clam 2000 hut,I love it!in 15 seconds its up and ready!I used the cube once, I find it to more work,esp in windy conditions!

The cube takes up a lot less room and more room inside, ill give it that,but I prefer the clam instead!

Cliff, if your looking for a portable hut, you can't beat a flip over style. A 2 man flip is perfect for one guy, and not bad for two. The great thing is its soo easy to move. Just flip it and go. All your gear is safely packed away inside. I wouldn't go any other way. The cubes are a good deal, and they're ok if you just going to set in one spot and fish all day, but if you plan on moving at all, they're a pita.

S.

I fished out of both the cube and a few flip overs last season, the flip overs are hard to beat but are much more expensive.I was impressed with the cube styles, fished the eskimo, and the ice cube models both 4-man(really there 2-man) in very high winds.The most important tip with ice cube models is to make sure they are anchored well before you erect them,or like already said you'll be chasing them down the ice.The cubes are also harder to move around once out on the ice, if you like to run&gun around the lake then a flip over is the way to go.

Cliff, if your looking for a portable hut, you can't beat a flip over style. A 2 man flip is perfect for one guy, and not bad for two. The great thing is its soo easy to move. Just flip it and go. All your gear is safely packed away inside. I wouldn't go any other way. The cubes are a good deal, and they're ok if you just going to set in one spot and fish all day, but if you plan on moving at all, they're a pita.

S.

Yep... I agree 100%.

If you think you will be happy plunking down a cube and not moving from that spot all day...by all means save some coin and get one. If you think you won't be happy unless you are more mobile do yourself a favor and get a flip style hut.