French River Report

Rich Clemens

Well, our long awaited two-week trip to the French River has come and gone. Lot's of high expectation that this would be the year to land a large musky. (we're not waiting for next year).

Our first week was spent at Rainbow Camp on the North Channel of the French River. I think this is about our 6th or 7th year coming here. It's a nice quiet place and not a lot a boat traffic. The North Channel is kinda locked in with rapids on both ends of this section. So, we may have about 7 miles of areas to fish with several nice bays and weedy shorelines. The channel kinda runs east to west, so any west winds blow right down the channel and can get things stirred up quickly. And, this part of Canada really seems to get the winds of the Great Lakes and the Georgian Bay - as we will find out.

We arrived after a 12 hour road trip that started around 4:00am. Quite tired, but we launched the boat and did all the unpacking. We went our the first evening to check out how the water levels effected some of our favorite spots. Some were definitely quite different this year with water levels down a few feet or so. We had a very nice cabin - actually a converted trailer with an addition. Perched up on the rocky shoreline and a magnificent view from the deck.

P1000558.JPG

The weather for the entire week was going to prove to be somewhat miserable. It seems the jet stream was coming straight across the great lakes and right over our area. So, this means that all the moisture would be picked up from the lakes and dropped right on us. Didn't see a lot of sun this first week and plenty of wind and rain. Even this small section of the French can see some nice white-capped waves, making fishing shorelines difficult to pick apart. You know - cast once and by the time you're ready for the next cast, you've already moved about 30 feet further on down. Really a cool, damp week, except for the last day we were there.

Fishing was really tough for everyone in camp that week and no muskies were caught. Met a couple guys staying in another cabin and the one boated 4 the prior week.

As a side note, Patsy and I were to be on the French the first week in September, but had to change our plans when my father had to undergo open heart surgery to repair a bad heart valve. He would have been coming home only a couple days before we were scheduled to leave on the trip, but that was just too soon for my comfort level, being that far away. Anyway, he is doing really well and we were able to adjust our weeks and push them out a bit. But, we stayed in touch calling home about every day.

Anyway, the current week, these two guys were not seeing any fish, not even a sniff. With the bad weather all week, and not much action, they packed it up early and went home. Although we only landed a couple pike for all our efforts that week, we had a great time there and have already booked again for next year. We met another couple who own a trailer in that park and spent a fair amount of time with them. So, we made some new friends and our two dogs got along with theirs and they all have a great time running around, playing, and chasing the squirrels and chipmunks. We had more fun just sitting around the campfire chatting that we did fishing. Kinda sounds like our own OFC GTG doesn't it. I'm sure we'll be staying in touch with them over the winter and hook up again next year. Good times with great friends - doesn't get any better than that.

Here's a few shots from this first week.

My Airedale Terrier after a long day on the water.

P1000576.JPG

Patsy's Yellow Lab after the same long day.

P1000577.JPG

This is what we battled most of the first week.

P1000585.JPG

P1000621.JPG

Maybe this is why they named the camp Rainbow Camp

P1000590.JPG

P1000592.JPG

We found this quite interesting. On 18-mile island, across from camp, we spotted this cross. We had known there was a hermit the lived on an island in an old dilapidated shack. Story is that he had once shopped up all his own furniture to burn for heat. Once all the cottagers left for the year, he would go around and collect their firewood to keep himself warm through the hard winters. Well, this past Spring, nobody saw this old man, so they started searching for the island. The cross marks the spot where the old man had succumbed to hypothermia. A cross was placed where they eventually found him. Rather a touching little story.

P1000599.JPG

We bid our goodbye's to our good friends and moved down the road to wolseley Lodge for our second week week. I am sure glad we pulled the boat Friday afternoon and did most of the packing. When we got up Saturday am, guess what ... raining yet again. Pouring down rain for the final packing and moving on. It would actually rain most of the day on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Finally had two very nice days on Tuesday/Wednesday. After this, the rest of the week was rain and cool. Of course, let's not forget the dang wind this week - as we had to put up with a lot more of it this second week. Being Wolsely has more wider-open water, we had a lot of white-capped bumpy rides to the fishing sites. So, the conditions the first week were being repeated this second week.

We met a number of new friends here as well, including a couple guys from Wisconsin and another group from Ohio. Guys we would chat with off and on all week.

This was a very slow week for fish, other than a few pike I was able to pick up here and there. Grand total fish for two weeks Rich=4 and Patsy=0. But, Patsy did spend a fair amount of time fishing, but also enjoyed the cover we had made to sit in out of the rain and get some reading done. Patsy doesn't mind me fishing, if I don't mind her sitting there reading. Fair trade for me.

We were talking with this one younger man from Ohio that was having success landing muskies that week - 4 in one day. These are not the small 20-30 inch variety, but we're talking 40+. By the time we left, he had already boated at least 6 or 7 fish, which is more than an amazing week of fishing in anyone's book.

The one thing about this guy is that he is an obvious hard-code musky fisherman and really knows what he is doing. I think it is quite obvious in that he's catching and we're not. I know we have fished exactly the same places, with the same bait. This guy knows more about musky fishing at his young age than I will ever know in my lifetime. But, the key point I think, about this guy, is that he would spend the time talking to me. He taught me a lot in just sitting there talking to him. He would share what kind of structure he was fishing, lures, retrieves, and where abouts he was fishing. Not that I am looking for exact spots mind you, but this young kid was freely sharing information that could help me in my quest. You don't find a lot of young fisherman, who are having success, willing to do this.

Well, I tried to pay attention to the tips and tried to put them to use. Then, we started to see some fish. About Wednesday am, I was in a bay, fishing shallow, and had a subtle hit. I could see the fishing moving on and set the hook. He was on (for now). By the time Patsy got the net ready, a few head flops and out flies the lure. Either I did not have a strong enough hook set or the fish was not hooked very well to start with. Fish gone and one disappointed fisherman. (I would later learn that a 49" was caught in the same area the next day. Can't say if it was the same fish or not). We kept coming back here, but no more hook-ups.

Same area, Friday morning, our last day. We're fishing the same area where I had the hook-up a couple days before. During the retrieve, here comes this big fish at a 90 degree angle from my retrieve. Huge splash and the blind fish completely missed the lure. We fished a bit, came back around, and this time she gave me follow, but no reaction to the figure 8's.

We were fishing the one side of the bay when we saw Chris (the guys I was talking about) and it appeared as if he had a fish on. We stood by at a distance and watched this fist take him around the boat at least two full times. He saw us and motioned for us to come over. We went over and kept a little distance until he had the fish in the net. He wanted us to grab a quick pick with his camera for him. We got ready and he pulled the fish from the net. A 50" monster French River musky. Huge, nice looking fish. Took a couple pics for him and he released the fish. After Patsy saw the size of that fish, she was really thinking if she wanted something that size on her line. Incidentally, Chris is the one who landed the 49"er in the same area I had mine on. I have to wonder if that could have been my 49"er ?

So, the action the second week finally picked up, even though I was nut able to land any fish. I give a lot of credit to Chris for giving me pointers. Things I can learn from and use on our trip next year. My hat is off to our new friend from Ohio and congratulations on him having such an unbelievable week of musky fishing.

To wrap things up, here's a few more pics I selected.

Hope you enjoyed.

Nice foggy morning to start the day.

P1000604.JPG

Couple scenery shots. This part of Ontaio has unmatched beauty.

P1000626.JPG

P1000607.JPG

Ok - So I had to put in one fish picture ... didn't I ?

P1000622.JPG

Welcome home Rich, I've been waiting for your report and great to hear your Dad's doing OK now.

Sounds like you & Patsy had a great time despite the lousy weather and lack of fish, but the scenery in that area more than makes up for it.

Everything working out good with the new boat ??

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report. Very well written. The French is so beauty and the water looks so mouth watering. You'd think the fish were everywhere but you have to find them. But once you do, the fishing is hot!

Welcome home Rich, I've been waiting for your report and great to hear your Dad's doing OK now.

Sounds like you & Patsy had a great time despite the lousy weather and lack of fish, but the scenery in that area more than makes up for it.

Everything working out good with the new boat ??

Everything was great with the boat and I didn't hit a single rock - but I did lose a Double-cow girl on one. Ain't gonna put my boat up on a rocky shoal in rough water for a $20.00 lure. We really enjoyed the top we had built for her this year - to help keep the girls somewhat dry while I stood on the bow in the rain. That was the lure of choice while we were at Wolseley (Double-Cowgirls). Fortunately, I had two (now only one). The guy that was catching all the muskies that week - that's the only lure he could get them on hit on. So, I'll be picking up a few more this year. But, as it goes, buy the time we get there, they'll want something different.

That was a really great reporting of your two weeks, kinda like I was there. I'm really glad to hear your dad is on the mend.

Really nice of that Chris guy to give you some musky tips. I will bet you'll be going back to that one spot for many years to comme to get the the one that got away. That's always the way it works, and one day you will get her :thumbsup_anim: Just having one on is a total thrill as far as I'm concerned.

Great that you made some new friends that you can meet up with for years to come. We've met a few like that at Lakair and a few other campsites. Its a great feeling when you see them again and know their names.

Oh, and really intersting story about the hermit guy too. Poor fella.

Joey

Edited by Joey

Nice Report Rich.

When you go to the French River in September, you are usually rewarded with good fishing. Too bad the fishing and the weather wasn't better...not for a lack of effort.

I was really looing forward to your report. Maybe a few spots and techniques into the mental bank to try next year.

BL

Well written report Rich, the pictures are good too.

Too bad the weather and the fishing didn't cooperate well.

Glad to hear your Dad is doing OK.

There is always next year, hopefully the water levels will be back to normal.

Nipissing did come up about 4 inches this week with the last rainfall.

I was at Wolsely Lodge I guess the same time as you Rich. Pretty sure I saw you... or at least what I thought it was you as the boat had an Airedale on it.

It was a tough week for sure. By the time I left, there was not one other boat on the dock. The muskie seemed to be on until all that rain. We managed to see quite a few muskie and some that seemed very active, but the short bite was brutal. Fish would either fly in and thrash at a lure totally missing is and spook off once it got withing 8ft if the boat, or would be so inactive that after my figure 8s a muskie would show up after I would pull the bait from the water. Largest fish we say was close to 45".

Only fish we seemed to have totally ready to eat was a low 40" muskie that must have chased a figure 8 around 5 or 6 times before disappearing. Frustrating, but all part of the sport.

I was there from Sept. 23rd to the 28th.

Dang bud, wish I had know that, we could have gotten together for a chat and story story telling. We were there from the 18th to the 25th - with our Yellow Lab and Airedale Terrier. I try to wear my OFC hat, just in case any other board members are around. Met Tom Foolery a few years back that way.

Double-Cowgirls seemed to be the bait of choice that week. My order from Musky Tackle Online just arrived yesterday. I now have 4 more. All Black Skirts, two with Gold blades and two with Silver. But, I may not make it to Wolseley next year. Contemplating taking that second week to head over to the Rideau System to meet up with my father and some bass fishing.