SO.........

irishfield

Where ya headed tomorrow Wayne ?

I like my lakers baked in the oven (whole) wrapped tightly in tinfoil at 325 for about 20 minutes ... with butter, and rubbed with lemon slices (same way I do all my trout)

I just tried a new one Wayne, and it was delicious. It was with rainbow trout fillets tho.

It was for 4 fillets so you can adjust if you are using less or more.

You took 6 tbsp of light mayo

1 tbsp of lemon juice

1 tbsp of white wine

1 clove of garlic minced

salt and pepper

Herbs you like: I added garlic and onion powder and dill

I also added about 20 capers

Mix together to make it spreadable and then spread on the flesh side (not skin side) of the filet.

Broil 4 inches from broiler element until done - about 5 minutes depending on thickness.

Watch it tho as it tends to get a bit dark and you don't want it to burn, so I turned it down for a bit to let it cook then back to broil for another minute at the end til it bubbled a bit on the top.

Cheers,

Joey

On aluminum foil, long enough to fold over and seal all around in the following order layered from the bottom up: Aluminum foil, spray with pam, 1/4" thick onion slices,

skinned side down l/trout fillet, lemon pepper, 1/4" thick slices of tomato, a plop of butter on top, fold over aluminum and seal remaining 3 sides, on med hot BBQ for 20-30 minutes, or in the oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes, depending on size.

Do a foil pouch, sprinkle dill seed , salt and pepper, couple of dabs of butter and lemon slices on fillets, skin side down. Throw that on a very hot bar b que, for 10-20 min depending on how thick the fish are. Skin will stick to the foil when you serve...

For an amazing side dish, do green beans the same way, in a foil pouch with a couple of ice cubes, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper and a red onion.

Normally with smaller lakers I fillet them taking off ribs and skin. Dust in flour and saute in 3/4 salted butter, 1/4 olive oil. Sprinkle a little lemon pepper and dill on them while they're frying....very yummy.

But take a look at this recipe for stuffed trout, it looks pretty good:

There are many nice ways to eat trout.

Small Trout: With a small pan size trout, you can cut the head off and gut the fish. Then roll the fish in some flour. Then throw it in a frying pan and fry in some butter. When the trout is cooked, grab the backbone and pull. The whole bone structure slides out of the meat.

Filleted Trout: If you filet a trout, then take the skin off and chop into 3 X 3 inch chunks. Then deep fry with Japanese Tempura Batter. Club House, the company that brings us all the different spices and gravies also makes Tempura Batter which is what you get in Japanese and some Chinese restaurants. They also make English Style batter. Both are great with trout. Lemon Pepper Shake-&-Bake is also good as a trout batter when deep frying.

Baked Trout: My friends tell me that I make the best baked trout in the world. I graduated from Waterdown District High School over 20 years ago and to this day, myself and 13 best friend from school go on a canoe trip into Algonquin Park or do a fly-in at Twin Lakes Outfitters every summer. We catch and eat trout. I like to think that eating my trout is a big part of the trip. It's my job to clean and cook the trout so I have come up with many ways to bake trout but all the ways of cooking have one thing in common. The most important aspect is the way you clean the trout. I butterfly the trout so that the meat stays as one piece, held together by the skin. This way you can stuff the trout and have the stuffing surrounded by meat. Below is how it's done.

Catch a Trout: Twin Lakes Outfitters either have Brook Trout or Lake Trout at most of their outpost camps. It's best to catch a trout in the crystal clean waters of Northern Ontario. You can stay home and buy a trout at the supermarket but only God knows where it came from.

When you catch a trout over 2.5 pounds, try cleaning them in this way. It's much nicer to bake them this way and it's very pleasing to the eye when you present it to your friends or dinner guests. Don't be afraid to eat Lake Trout. People who have never caught a Lake Trout are the first people to tell you that they don't taste good. Lake Trout taste absolutely fantastic, especially the way we are cooking them in this article. Brook Trout even taste better.

Cut the head off and gut the fish. Make sure you have a really sharp knife. If your knife is dull, you will not be able to scrape close to the bone and you will lose a lot of meat.

Butterfly: Here is where we start to butterfly the trout. Turn the trout upside-down so the stomach is facing up. Turn your knife upside-down so the blade is facing up. Slide your knife in along the backbone (at the base of the rib cage) and cut up so that your knife slides up along the outside of the rib cage. Then turn your knife over and cut down along the backbone. You have to cut through a ridge on bones that we take out later. When you cut down, don't cut through the skin. Cut down to the skin and cut along the whole lateral of the fish right to the tail.

Do the same thing on the other side of the fish so that you have the two sides of the fish laying flat and the rib cage structure is in the middle but clear of the meat.

Then turn your knife sideways and cut along the base of the meat and remove the bone structure.

Now you have a butterflied trout. There is still two rows of bones to take out.

With your fingers, you can feel the row of bones that you cut through earlier. Just slice these bones out by cutting along the bones on both sides. Don't cut through the skin.

Get a big piece of heavy duty tin foil. Smear butter over an area which is the same size as the trout. Sprinkle salt, pepper, lemon juice and lots of poultry seasoning on the butter. Then place your trout (skin down) on the butter which is in the middle of your tin foil.

The most convenient stuffing to bring on your fly-in tip is Stove-Top Stuffing. Get the regular stuffing for turkey or chicken. When we follow the directions to make the stuffing, we substitute some of the water needed with lemon juice. We also make the stuffing a little dryer so it absorbs some of the moisture from the trout. Sprinkle some more salt and pepper right on the trout meat and then cover half of the trout with the stuffing.

Fold the other half of the trout over the stuffing. Then rap the trout up in the tin foil. What I do is roll the trout in the tin foil and then roll up the two ends so it's air and moisture tight. You don't want the butter to run out on you.

Place the trout on the grill. Don't have the trout close enough to the fire that it burns but you do want it to be hot. I would say you want the same temperature as a propane BBQ on low. If you can hear the butter boiling, then you have good heat. If the butter stops boiling, it's either too hot and has burned away or too cool.

For a 4 pound trout, cook the trout for 40 minutes. You need to flip the trout every ten minutes. After 40 minutes, you can place the trout off to the side while you cook some steaks which by the way, goes great with baked trout. At this time, the trout is cooked but it's OK to keep it warm by the fire for another ten minutes while you cook other stuff. When it's done, cut away the tin foil and then pull off the fins and the back fin. Then you have a boneless baked trout that's ready to eat.

You don't always have to use Stove Top Stuffing. Get a bottle of Kraft Sun-Dried Tomato & Oregano salad dressing. Let the bottle settle so all the oil floats to the top. Then squeeze the bottle until all the oil is out. This is messy but you have to get the oil out. Then pour what's left on a cheese clothe and drain the spices and tomato chunks out of the liquid. Then spoon all the spices from the dressing onto the trout and then put a generous helping of Parmesan cheese on the fish. Roll it up and bake it. I call it Pizza Trout.

Another good way to bake a trout is to chop up an apple and a large white onion and put into a pan and fry with some salt and butter. After you have sautéed the apple and onions, place the apple / onion mix on the trout and then put a big hunk of cheddar cheese on top and roll it up and bake it.

These methods can be used for any kind of trout or salmon. Just remember that a bigger fish has to be cooked longer at lower temperatures.

To the right is Steve Howlett holding a baked, stuffed Lake Trout. I think he ate it all himself.

Enjoy

Fly-in FishingMoose HuntingCabins & LakesContact & InformationWalleye FishingWalleye TipsNorthern Pike FishingNorthern Pike TipsBrook Trout FishingBrook Trout TipsLake Trout FishingLake Trout TipsSturgeon FishingSturgeon TipsClean & Cook FishHomeBaked Stuffed TroutFly-in Moose HuntingMoose Hunting TipsBill's Moose DetailsField Dressing MooseHunter Orange LawsHomeOutpost CabinsQuick Lake / Fishing ReferenceAbamasagi LakeDusey LakeHebner LakeKayedon LakePoverty & Relief LakeQueenston LakeSaga LakeWashi LakeMore lake maps are coming soonContact UsRatesPhoto Video Gallery #1Photo Video Gallery #2AircraftDrinking & Driving LawsLinksHome

:lol: We caught many actually...

Will get a post up some time tomorrow if I get enough work done around here...and plan to have Laker for Tuesday's supper.

The Hell You Say??? :clapping:

Well if that's the case, I like mine marinated in Italian salad dressing for at least an hour or more. Then put in a wire fish grilling basket and done on the BBQ grill... about 3 mins. per side depending on the thickness.

The small ones we eat 'round'. Just gut and clean, removing head and tail, dust with flour, and fry in bacon drippings reserved from breakfast. Add salt and pepper while cooking, and serve with lemon wedges, boiled potatoes, green beans and white wine.

We hardly ever catch big ones.

The fry in bacon drippings reserved from breakfast.

Mmmmmmm, and have 911 ready on the speed dial for when the ole ticker kicks it :D

When we were young, my friend and I used to cook the bacon, then fry the toast in it. God it was good, but of course now that would be a no no!

Joey

Lake Trout have a wonderful taste to them so the simpler you make them the better they are. If around the 2 lbs range (really good eating size) I fillet them and skin them. Just add salt and pepper and dip in flour, fry in your favourite oil and butter and sprinkle lemon overtop. If over that size fillet them but leave the skin on and marinate the fillets in a little olive oil, garlic, dill, salt and pepper...bbq over high heat for about 7-9 mins.

Thanks EVERYONE. Since we be-headed and gutted one of the "in the round" methods will be happenin later today.

Solopaddler MUCH APPRECIATED..and that will be printed out for sure.

Glen..SORRY...Dano and I only kept one eater each and the rest are back swimmin for next time...so Ron can have another chance!

When we were young, my friend and I used to cook the bacon, then fry the toast in it. God it was good, but of course now that would be a no no!

Joey

Oh yeah Joey .... NOW thats what I am talkin about !!!! ....good old fashioned FRIED Bread ...only thing better than bacon fat was goose fat .... the most dilectible of al sinful foods .. and now that I'm all smoke free and all ... I think I'll just go make up a batch :) :) :) :)

call 911 ... I'm a comin momma !!!!!!