RIP Pat Burns

nickgrubic@hotmail.com

TORONTO - Pat Burns says he is very much alive, despite reports and thousands of tweets suggesting otherwise.

The former NHL coach, who is battling lung cancer, called TSN hockey columnist Bob McKenzie today in the wake of reports of his death at the age of 58.

"Pat Burns just called me. Seriously," McKenzie said via his Twitter feed. "Here's what he said. "Here we go again. They're trying to kill me before I'm dead..."

McKenzie continued to relay the conversation in subsequent tweets.

"I come to Quebec to spend some time with my family and they say I'm dead," Burns said, according to McKenzie. "I'm not dead, far from it. They've had me dead since June. Tell (them) I'm alive. Set them straight."

Montreal radio station CKAC, whom Burns has worked for, also spoke with the former coach.

Published reports on Friday morning said that Burns' health had taken a grave turn and he was surrounded by family back home in Magog, Que.

Subsequent reports that he had died set off an explosion on social media, including Facebook and Twitter, as thousands of people spread the erroneous news.

The reports were so pervasive that team officials from Toronto to Ottawa reacted to the news.

Obituaries also ran online, only to be pulled down once word came that Burns was still alive.

Guest Johnny Bass

The first thing I said when I read the title was NOOOOOOO. I like Pat Burns. He was/is a great coach, he is way too young, and he loves fishing!Glad to hear it was Bull

Mr Burns joins Bob Hope & Gordon Lightfoot as people who had "Reports of may death are exagerated".......

More than a few years back someone with the same name as I died in a vehicle accident so a friend who I had not

been in connect with for a few years read that in the newspaper (with not alot of details) & called me so when I answered the phone - He said "You're still alive".......