Stoco Lake

Meely

Hiya Kids.....

Been invited to friend's cottage in October.

Figured I might as well load up the boat and try my luck at some Stoco Lake Lunges.

Can anyone offer any info on this lake and where my best chance at some Muskies might be?? Trolling? Casting? Lure choice?

Not looking for any honey holes or golden spots.....general info would do.

Thanks for any info....

Meely :canadian:

Hiya Kids.....

Been invited to friend's cottage in October.

Figured I might as well load up the boat and try my luck at some Stoco Lake Lunges.

Can anyone offer any info on this lake and where my best chance at some Muskies might be?? Trolling? Casting? Lure choice?

Not looking for any honey holes or golden spots.....general info would do.

Thanks for any info....

Meely :canadian:

I've only fished it once but it was in October. I think between two boats we got 7 fish on a 3 day weekend the pattern we established was casting parallel to lilypad beds. The launch was pretty crappy. Very shallow. Also orange suick seemed to be THE lure.

I've only fished it once but it was in October. I think between two boats we got 7 fish on a 3 day weekend the pattern we established was casting parallel to lilypad beds. The launch was pretty crappy. Very shallow. Also orange suick seemed to be THE lure.

I too have been there, but in July. Not much luck other than some small pike in the weeds for the whole week we were there.

Did see a guy smash a nice muskie, casting a topwater lure into some high grass of a small island just before dark (island was near the shore of the town). That was the closest to a muskie we got all week.

There are some real nice gar pike in that lake, but we couldn't get them to stay on.

Muskie are Muskie...Structure(rocks)+weeds+deep water nearby

Trolling open water for suspended fish is a good post turn-over tactic, 10" Jakes, 10" believers are always good choices.

Please have the proper landing equipment! Good quality(large) Net or Cradle, long nose pliers, hook cutters.

Quiet Tony....who's gonna supply me with Muskie Steaks if he gets rid of the gaff :whistling:

MMMmmmmm...musky steaks !!!

I can't believe the MUSKY KING of Pigeon Lake is asking for help to catch shoal carp ???

Cripes...he could give lessons !

Edited by Beans

Bumped for Meely...

Antbody else fish this lake ???

I wasn't going to reply as my recollections are quite dated, circa 82-84 when a buddy was stationed at CFB Trenton and lived in Belleville. I'd fish musky opener weekend with him there and I would return the favour with salmon fishing later as he got hooked on them during a stint at CFB Comox, think it was.

Our best action was near the channel were the Moira River exited the lake , hit a couple of teens on live suckers on a quick strike rig. Also in addition to fishing the lake we fished the Moira River between Stocco and Belleville, mixed bag there, I do remember getting a real good walleye about 7 and some nice largies and a smaller ski as well in the river.

What I remember the best about Stocco, was the absolutely huge fish the my buddy had follow casting the previously mentioned weed bed off the island out from town, it followed and went under the boat to appear as a log on my side, probably the only time I had " buck fever shakes" while fishing. I truly believe it would have gone over forty. That same year, at least according to the then " Molson's Big Fish Contest " results, Stocco was the best lake in Ontario for big musky producing 7 of the top 15 or 20 fish, think they were all over 40. If I was looking for trophy class fish I would choose Stooco over any of the Kawarthas, seems there is something about the habitat or the genes.

This time of year there is a massive rock that was referred to as the "Elephant's Back" basically mid lake, not sure if it actually broke the surface but was very visible as a huge smooth rounded hump just below the surface with deep water all around, buddy said it was a prime area for trolling later in the season but as we were there opener we focussed on shallower areas.

The gar were mentioned, they were there by the hundreds, every time we high speed motored we would constantly see pods of 6 to 8 just lazily sunning themselves a few inches below the surface .

Good luck, wish I was going, I wouldn't expect good numbers but the possibility of a truly great fish exists .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...