Report-Pics

TDunn

Well, I haven’t posted a report since the atlantic season. I figured it is about time.

After my last report the fishing was good for only another couple days. The atlantic bite quickly went foul this year. Ted landed the last fish of the summer season.

46.jpg

A bunch of relatives rented a camp on a nice lake east of the Sault for a week of relaxing and fishing. I made it out for 3 days and 2 nights. We had a great time at camp and the fishing was excellent. We caught a lot of fish once we found them. GPS coordinates we had from the lakes opening weekend this spring did have fish but we found them feeding 20 feet shallower. Most fish were released but we did have 1 fish fry. Spin doctors, flashers and cowbells followed by a smelt or gulp was working awesome.

My little cousin reeling his first ever fish off a downrigger

029.jpg

030.jpg

All fish throughout the 3 days were 19-25"

040.jpg

047.jpg

049.jpg

It was actually a perfect time for the St Marys to become quiet for awhile because I had a long 16 day trip planned to BC with my girlfriend. We drove from the Sault to Vancouver Island. We stayed and explored many cities such as Winnipeg, Edmonton, Banff, Jasper, Canmore, Nelson, Ucluelet and the furthest point we went was Tofino. Wicked whale watching in Tofino!

A few pics from the roadtrip.

102.jpg

bctripcontinued158.jpg

bctripcontinued065.jpg

bctripcontinued134.jpg

Even took a few casts on the Kootenay River with a fly rod

197.jpg

After the trip I had to put in a ton of hours at work and make some $, so I never got out for any full days for awhile. Seasons on the river were kind of in between anyway. A few hours here and there would be all including an afternoon of bass from the lower stretches of the river. I havent fished bass this year and I really enjoyed getting on a decent bass bite.

2 best of the afternoon.

008.jpg

The Chinook season has begun and I have only been out a few times including a local derby. Although we did catch a few fish each day. Our best efforts fell about a pound short. Only 4 spots out of the money.

Few salmon so far...

011.jpg

009-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

My sister came out for an evening

010.jpg

This past long weekend Ted and I joined another group (8 total) heading to a walleye lake just south of Chapleau. Although it was freakin freezing and really windy, we made out really well. Our boat alone landed in the triple digits numbers wise. No camps or roads to the lake only ATV access. 2 outfitters do have cabins on the lake they fly guests into.

We nailed them on rocky points that were in the most windy areas. They held a ton of fish especially during the day. Every pass would yield a fish and more times than not a double header. Bottom bouncer/ spinner rig with either a gulp minnow or worm worked well. A rapala behind the bottom bouncer was also another deadly combo.

005.jpg

009-2.jpg

050-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

Camp

016-1.jpg

025.jpg

017-2.jpg

033.jpg

027.jpg

035.jpg

Alot of the fish had a blue tinge especially on the fins. Nothing like doacks report tho.

039.jpg

047-1.jpg

I’m looking forward to the rest of the fall season. It’s time to lay a beat down in the boat and with the waders on more salmon until the steelhead arrive.

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i was wondering when a report was coming.

looks like a good summer.

i was out on the long weekend and it was foul. you guys are brave souls for venturing out. i admittedly wimped out on most of the weekend and sat in the sauna nursing bud lights.

bring on the steel!

Wow you got some amazing fishing up there, I never got to go to the St Mary's river this summer for the Atlantic Salmon run, but maybe in the fall for the Steel.

Anyway, great report, I've been to Banff and Jasper, those places are just heaven on earth

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellent report. Our country is beautiful. Your sister's not bad looking either. :w00t: Looks cold but as long as the fish are biting, its worth it! Thanks for sharing.