Why are big channel catfish flesh rubbery after cooked?

shimano25

I recently cooked up two very large channel catfish fillets that I caught off the Grand River not too long ago. The only problem was that the flesh literally felt like rubber. No way I could sink my teeth into it. Does anyone know why the larger the channel catfish the more rubbery the flesh becomes when cooked? Thanks.

They look like rubber and taste like rubber.

You all are kidding right? Down here the Channel Catfish is one of the most eaten freshwater fish. When we go for a fishfry then forget the bass/pike and go straight for the catfish. A tasty seasonal (due to the heat) fish fry is Crappie and Perch with a side of fried Oakra mmmm thats good eaten.

Art

They look like rubber and taste like rubber.

Obviously you guys have not eaten catfish. :huh:

One of my personal favorites, ahead of trout, walleye, large musky,( :o ) etc.

I don't eat a lot of fish but small catfish are great eating. Granted like all species the smaller fish 1-4lbs are the best. Otherwise is you have a larger one because of damage while landing cut the fillet into small strips or pieces.

who in there right mind would eat a channel cat fish anyways ?

ummmm....maybe those who know how good it tastes when handled and cooked properly?

i believe catfish is the most farmed fish in the US and in 2009 sales were down to $373,000,000 from over $400,000,000 in 2008. i dunno about you, but id say thats a lot of fish. going by the sites i looked at, catfish is the 3rd most popular fish in the US for total sales.

the only time catfish will taste bad or seem rubbery is when the fish was not handled properly and likely overcooked. catfish tastes far better than bass and many people prefer it over salmon or trout.

those who dis catfish dont have a clue what their talking about ;)

Edited by ch312

ummmm....maybe those who know how good it tastes when handled and cooked properly?

i believe catfish is the most farmed fish in the US and in 2009 sales were down to $373,000,000 from over $400,000,000 in 2008. i dunno about you, but id say thats a lot of fish. going by the sites i looked at, catfish is the 3rd most popular fish in the US for total sales.

the only time catfish will taste bad or seem rubbery is when the fish was not handled properly and likely overcooked. catfish tastes far better than bass and many people prefer it over salmon or trout.

those who dis catfish dont have a clue what their talking about wink.gif

Small ones are mighty tasty! I ate a bunch from the Ottawa and Rice this year. I wouldn't eat the bigger chan cats...they have tougher and older meat, just like other fish species.

Farmed fish are different, they are fed a specific diet and don't reach 20years old.