Chapleau log road fishing/camping

doack

Well, finally made it up on the long anticipated trip north of Chapleau. We drove for 9 hours to get to Chapleau, another 1 1/2 hours on the logging roads to get to the point of our first portage. We scouted a bit for our entry point, and exit, and then it started raining pretty good, and we chose to not push it into the woods and try to beat sun down. Great move come morning as we found that we had one extra portage, and the 3 portages all tolled about 4 hours of back breaking work, all worth it though.

Once we got to lake we intended to get to, we set up camp, and hydrated until gills started sprouting in our necks, can't tell you how crucial water and gatoraide is on one of these.

Now to the fishing, couldn't have had a better time, in 2 1/2 days we caught over a 100 walleye, and about 30 pike, the pike were almost all deep, very few in the weed bed areas which kind of surprised us. We didn't hit a monster for either walleye or pike, but the walleye were up to 24" and fat and healthy, and the biggest pike was 32", again fat and healthy. Only saw one bear on trip, cruising a beach on the lake, took off as soon as we tried to get closer in the canoe for a pic though, no problems with them at camp or on portages. Keep it clean, keep them away!

I for the life of me can't figure out how to get the pics posted in multiples, so here is a link to the photobucket site with them. Tons of fun, can't wait to do it again, and after this trip, will be packing much lighter and smarter! Enjoy the pics.

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff272/doack/

If anyone has a pointer on adding multiples, please let me know.

Edited by doack

To post pics, highlight the img box on the pop down box in photobucket, copy and paste

Fishing2010RibesLake075.jpg

I gave it a shot editing the message HTHM, and I am either an idiot, or, well, yeah, probably just an idiot. But all it did was show the img box address in between some {IMG} things, no pics.

Oh well, hope all enjoyed the pics, great trip!

I gave it a shot editing the message HTHM, and I am either an idiot, or, well, yeah, probably just an idiot. But all it did was show the img box address in between some {IMG} things, no pics.

Oh well, hope all enjoyed the pics, great trip!

Nice trip doack :thumbsup_anim: Some nice eyes you guys got into B)

For the pics the  codes that gets inserted before the image code properties and after will not show the picture when replying or posting a report..... here's what I mean

Posting a report or replying to one

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff272/doack/Fishing2010RibesLake075.jpg'>http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff272/doack/Fishing2010RibesLake075.jpg

doesn't show pic but only a link to it after clicking Post new Topic or Add Reply

The following is what you want in your report or reply without the double quotes

["img]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff272/doack/Fishing2010RibesLake075.jpg[/img"]

If you're unsure.... click on Preview Post to see what it's going to look like..... Here's the results

Fishing2010RibesLake075.jpg

Give it a try and hope it helps you out

Leechman

I'm assuming he didn't set the time/date on the camera :)

Bill, come on now.......you and I both know what the word assume means that it makes an ass out of u and me...LOL....sorry....could't resist...spank me if you have to moderators.....LOL... :oops:

Edited by Billy Bob

Never caught a blue walleye, for that matter, never seen one in real life and you say you guys caught about 15...lucky! Thanks for taking the time to write it up and share. Looks like a fabulous area to spend some time, might have to put it on the list.

Thanks for sharing........the Chapleau area is one FINE FISHING area....but I have to ask.....why are the photos marked Oct 7th 2005 ? ? ?

I knew that one would come up, lol. Batteries popped out of camera on the portages, didn't think to reset everything. I am sure you would agree though that we wouldn't have been in shorts and t-shirts in October up there!

Thanks all on the comments... :)

Never caught a blue walleye, for that matter, never seen one in real life and you say you guys caught about 15...lucky! Thanks for taking the time to write it up and share. Looks like a fabulous area to spend some time, might have to put it on the list.

Definetly give it a shot if you have the chance, well worth and just a great great get away, just wish I lived closer! Only advise would be pack light, no unnessasary things, we learned alot lugging stuff we didn't need all over the bush.

Nice fish and report Doack.

I'm glad you finally made it up to Chapleau.

TDunn

Thanks TDunn, your lakes you suggested were next in line if we couldn't make it to where we wanted! I am targeting those lakes next year for a trip with my sons, need something with a little less portaging to get too.

Take care.