Is it a blue walleye?

splawik

I got this one two weeks ago. It's a 26 incher caught on Zara Spook at 6:30PM.

The question is - why is it so blue?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7sOXXs-zYzg/TIBVBKtvsjI/AAAAAAAAAB0/xMjsr_zuVrc/s800/Blue%20Walleye.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_7sOXXs-zYzg/TIBVB3ImfEI/AAAAAAAAAB4/Co1ojqx9iwM/s800/Blue%20Walleye1-1.jpg

I went trough that already. Someone mentioned that they're getting caught few times a year on Nippising.

I catch eyes on the weekly basis and I never got one like that.

well, whatever it is, its an interesting fish and maybe worthwhile looking into

I thought blues weren't supposed to get as big as yellows. They are reported to have bigger eyes positioned higher up on the head making them kinda froglike from a side view. Most of your pics don't even show the head so it's hard to tell.

3877blue.jpg

I caught this one many years ago in a lake that we saw about 10% blues to yellows.

Edited by jediangler

I've a seen a few true Blue Pickeral out of Erie in the late fifties fishing with dad, they resemble a sauger in characteristics more than a walleye. Small, rarely over 3 pounds, kinda mottled appearance and bigger eyes in relation to the head. Dad took his pickeral trolling pretty serious back then, his standard rig was an old Pflueger Rocket trolling reel with a light wire line , 3 way swivel with a weight off the bottom and usually a Gibb's T spoon or a Junebug spinnner baited with a worm out the back and a early Shakespeare rod, fished out of Port Colborne. Yellows were caught mostly trolling and Blues were usually still fished in deeper water and through the ice.

Here in the Buffalo area of Lake Erie they were always called "Blue Pike" and walleyes even today by some of the OLDER fishermen here are still referred to as "Yellow Pike". Even in the restaurants (Taverns, Bars, Gill Mills) some still have on their menu "Yellow Pike" dinners.

But from everything I have followed in the many many years I have, the blue tinted walleyes being caught today are NOT the Blue Pike of yesteryears. Our NYS DEC has done several studies and now with DNA possible all indications are the Blue Pike are long gone... :(

Bob

well, whatever it is, its an interesting fish and maybe worthwhile looking into

I agree, try calling the MNR in the Nipissing region to get an opinion. I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.

Very good thread by the way. We caught some "blue" looking walleye in Northern Alberta a few years ago, I tend to think it was just a pigment thing and not a true blue.

My friend has a picture of a "blue" walleye near Loring, ON in winter. It is on the ice and the snow is stained deep blue from the fish...that fish makes me wonder.

Nipissing also has Blue Perch, we caught them this winter in bunches. They would stain our counters when cleaning them...wonder if that's a related issue at all.

I agree, try calling the MNR in the Nipissing region to get an opinion. I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.

Very good thread by the way. We caught some "blue" looking walleye in Northern Alberta a few years ago, I tend to think it was just a pigment thing and not a true blue.

My friend has a picture of a "blue" walleye near Loring, ON in winter. It is on the ice and the snow is stained deep blue from the fish...that fish makes me wonder.

Nipissing also has Blue Perch, we caught them this winter in bunches. They would stain our counters when cleaning them...wonder if that's a related issue at all.

thats interesting, is it the diet that affects the pigmintation?

A good photo of the "blue ink"

http://2.bp.blogspot...06Image0130.JPG

I never attempted to take a slime sample as this was bound to be released asap. We snapped few pictures and let her go. Nice info's on the subject from you guys, thanks.

I'll approach the local ranger when I see him and ask.

Guest Manitoubass

blue walleye are not extinct.

I catch lots every year on a small lake up the cedar narrow road in northwestern ontario.

the most beautiful fish you'll ever see, deep blue walleye.

I remember watching the old "Fish On" T.V show.. the one that always ended with a high speed "Fly Tie"

They had said that the only real way to identify a "Blue Walleye"

is that it DOES NOT have the white spot on the tail...and had also said that they were extinct...which I believe is true.

Even "In-Fisherman" spoke of this extinct species in a recent episode.

Habitat and fungus was the culprit for mis-identification.

Although, I have caught A LOT of "Blue Tinged Walleye" from Nipissing and other lakes... but have never caught a true Blue.

Randy

:canadian: