BEARS! What to do with fish remains while camping?

mahman

I'm heading to Algonquin in the next couple days and I'm hoping to catch some fish for dinner but am not quite sure what to do with the fish remains. I'm a little nervous about the bears and other wild life messing with my gear and messing with me! I may be a little paranoid but I would rather not have to confront a bear when I'm there. I'm just trying to make it as safe as possible for my friends and I, as well enjoy some fresh fish for the occasional dinner. What should I do with the fish remains after I fillet them? Is there some proper way to go about this? Also, should I be concerned about filleting them at my camp? Or should I be venturing out a couple 100 meters to do it.

These are the options I have come up with. Any help would be appreciated.

1) Bury them away from my campsite?

2) Burn them?

3) Sink them?

As the above poster suggests, cleaning them away from campsite is great.

However, if we have a HOT fire (a large, piping coal bed), then we tend to throw the remains in the coal bed. If the fire's not hot enough to start burning up the fish almost instantly, then I wouldn't risk it.

We always just toss them in water for turtles or birds as well. Best to clean them of course away from your camp but not near others. Like someone else said, if you can just stop on an island to clean your fresh catch - that's the best option. I wouldn't burn them, I think the smells would just linger for a longer period of time in the air.

Edited by Governator

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

away from campsite on a rock is the textbook answer.

if you sink them there will be much waste... burning them is worst thing you can do very bears, that oily fish corpse will give off scent for hours...

Without exception there is a seagull that will eat them of you throw them out in the lake. Seaguls have extraordinary vision and can descend from great heights for a free meal.

If you don't beleive me throw the stomach in with the swim bladder in tact to float the remains.

They will be gone before you know it. This assumes daylight hours cleaning of fish.

Do not bury. The hot fire is OK in a pinch but the water has always been our solution. This also ensures the nutrients stay in the lake's foodchain.

Something to ponder....

"A native american tribe up in Oregon believes that the spirit of the fish lived in the bones. If you returned the bones to its original body of water that spirit could be reborn. But if the bones were not returned the spirit would be lost forever. Puts a nice metaphysical twist on the cycle of life."

Edited by Nemo

Just pretend you are bear hunting! I know lots of guys that spend many hours and $ putting out bait for bears then sitting in their stands and never get to see one. Wild bears tend to avoid humans any chance they get. They realize that we are up the food chain from them. Worst thing you can do if you do see one is try to run. Just like a dog, they will chase anything that tries to run away but avoid anything that they think is a threat to them. In some 50+ years in the bush I haven't been attacked by a bear yet and I have encountered many!

Thanks again! However, I am interested in Black Blade's post now. Is cooking the fish going to put out all of the oily scents as well? Clearly odors are released I just don't want them lingering for hours! Is it better to eat the fish away from camp?

Bears like more than fish,so if your planning on cooking and eating your fish away from your campsite,same should apply to bacon,burgers,hotdogs etc...not to mention the picnic basket :D

keep your site clean, dispose of all food waste properly(including fish and fish waste ),never take food in your tent,store all food in vehicle,change your clothes after cooking before going to bed,don't pour the dish water beside your tent and all should be good.....oh yea a big dog also helps keep bears away,just don't leave out their food bowl.

It sounds like you'll be with a group of people, which is always a plus. If one happens to come around make lots of noise between the group and it'll likely just run off. Keep the campsite clean and if you want added comfort keep an air horn in the tent.

I haven't been in the bush nearly as much as others here as I only started fishing a few years ago. I've only seen 1 bear thus far, we were in the jeep about 5min before our launch to an island. He ran infront, stopped and checked us out for 5 seconds and ran away.

Just finishing up the packing and we leave Saturday morning bright and early! Thanks a lot for all the comments. Its definitely helped me feel a touch more comfortable :) We have actually done an Algonquin trip before but last time we didn't eat any of the fish we caught so we weren't so paranoid. This time we are out there quite a bit longer so some good protein and freshness would be delicious.