Please explain ball bearings

cynmar

I am looking at a new baitcaster, just posted for your opinions on another line. I am trying to understand something. For example the Shimano Caenan has 6 bearings and the Citica has only 3 The expert OFNers recommend the Citica over the Caenan. I am no expert on reels by any means, have just purchased a reel by name more than by specifics in the past and only get out maybe 5 or 6 times in a summer. Exactly what part does the number of bearings play in the quality of the reel. For example, the Quantum Van Dam Signature has 10 bearings and it has lower overall ratings by people than the Caenan? I always looked at the # of bearings as an indicator of the quality of the reel. Obviously I'm wrong. Please educate me. Garry2Rs where are you?

Edited by fishingBill

Guest LivingLegend

I am no expert on reels myself especially baitcasting but Im on the market too and was looking into the shimano Caenan and coreMG. Its not just the bearings that make it good quality but light weight parts and other small details. i believe the Caenan is pretty good for features and under $100 u cant go wrong...

These master OFNers will give you the info........

The # of bearings is not always a good indication of the quality of the reel, the quality of the bearings is the important factor. Expensive, higher end reels use a higher end bearings which are smoother and usually more durable.Cheap reels more then likly use cheap quality bearings

The number of ball bearings for the most part is a sales gimmick, modern society, more is better? Like mentioned the quality of the bearings is a lot more important, and the location of them also.

I used old Abu reels back in the day that had no ball bearings, and yet cast very well. The C series Abu`s that had a ball bearing or two also worked well.

They do make for a smoother feel? and the one way bearing is nice, just a question of how much change you are willing to blow on a reel? LOL unless you have a sponsor that supplies them for free?

When I was buying my last spinning reel I tried several different types with 3 to 5 bearings.I bought the 3 because it was smoother and seemed to have less drag when retrieving.I have used it steadily for 5 years and it still is as smooth as when I bought it.And yes it was not a cheap reel.

vance

As has been suggested the number of bearings is largely a sales gimmick.

I once owned a Tica baitcasting reel that even had ball bearings in the paddles of the crank handle...grin.

When someone replaces their bearings with the best that money can buy, they normally only replace two bearings! These two are the ones that support the spool.

I don't know if they come on the new Citica or not, but a fine reel mechanic told me that Shimano's A-RB bearings are as good as stainless steel reel bearings get.

Garry2R's

Thanks to everyone for their information, it has helped a lot and clarified a few things. Now, I just need to go and hold one to see how it feels in the palm of the hand.

Bill

Edited by fishingBill

I don't know if they come on the new Citica or not, but a fine reel mechanic told me that Shimano's A-RB bearings are as good as stainless steel reel bearings get.

Garry2R's

I would have to disagree with that statement. You can get a set of "boca orange seal" Abec 7 bearings... and its smooth as glass ! I guess they have even come out with abec 9 bearings. I have heard they are almost to smooth ! haha

Ceramic bearings are better then stainless steel.... less resistance !

I would have to disagree with that statement. You can get a set of "boca orange seal" Abec 7 bearings... and its smooth as glass ! I guess they have even come out with abec 9 bearings. I have heard they are almost to smooth ! haha

What Garry said was that "Shimano's A-RB bearings are as good as stainless steel reel bearings get."

Sure you can also get Abec5 or 7 ceramic bearings but they will also double the price of your reel.

Boca Orange Seal's are great bearings. However they are ceramic and not everyone likes the sound of them.

They are also after-market bearings and not what we were talking about.

I said the A-RB's are as good as any Stainless Steel bearings available and I believe that is true.

Garry2R's

Sure you can also get Abec5 or 7 ceramic bearings but they will also double the price of your reel.

I wouldnt say they double the price of the reel... you can get a set of boca's for a curado E7 for just over $30.. install them and away you go ! (easier said then done, but you get the picture )

I have a Abu revo SX.... 10 BB's :blahblah1::blahblah1: ... plus I have an E7... 5 bearings.... When tuned right, I dont see any difference between them!

One of the marketing tools Abu uses for bearings is claiming the reel has 10 bearings... which it does... 4 of which are in the handle... 2 bearings per knob !

They are also after-market bearings and not what we were talking about.

I said the A-RB's are as good as any Stainless Steel bearings available and I believe that is true.

Garry2R's

Im not disagreeing with you, you said "they are as good as stainless steel reel bearings get" ... I didnt know we were just talking about the bearings already installed in the reel !

I agree, they are hella smooth for stock bearings !

The two bearings supporting the spool shaft are the most important ones in the reel. My longest casting reel is a Calctta TE100GT with Boca Orange Seals for the spool. The rest of the bearings are just to make the retrieve smoother, mainly the pinion and drive shaft support bearings. Next would be worm gear bearing (most reels have a bushing here) and handle knob bearings. More bearings == more money, but not necessarily better performance. A graphite framed baitcaster will not be able to hold all those bearings in alignment under load. manufacturing tolerances also play a big part in the performance of a reel.

As I understand it, most reels have a "stopper" bearing that will cause your reel to seize up if it gets water in it. Some of these bearings are more waterproof than others, as my 4-year-old Stradic has never seized, whereas my 1 year-old ultralite Pflueger President seizes often. I'd call this an important factor for all of us river guys.