Friday muskie report... changed lakes

Fisherpete

For most of July and August I fished one lake for musky, and did very well... but it was time to shake things up and head back to try one of my old favourites. Fishgreg met me at 5am, and we headed to the lake. When we got to the launch, I was amazed at just how clear the water was... you could see the bottom perfectly 10+ feet down! The other day at LeBaron when I grabbed the trolling motor and Tekota reel, I also picked up the same musky cradle (Frabill Pro-Tech 60") that I sold last month during my tackle purge... although I really like the huge Stowmaster, especially when fishing alone, with a partner the cradle makes releasing smaller skis faster as the hooks don't seem to get caught in the mesh at all, even when the fish rolls.

We headed over to my first location and started fishing. The Tekota is one sweet trolling reel... and cranks in big baits, even at trolling speeds like they are nothing. About an hour later, Greg broke the ice with a musky that can only be described as "cute"! Hey - it was an overachiever (hit a 5oz bait), and also shows that musky are successfully reproducing.

lilfella.jpg

As small as that fish was, I would have been happy with one like it - because the next 8 hours of fishing produced nothing for either of us except for a few bass and panfish follows! But if you put in the time, things are bound to improve and around 5pm, the fish turned on. Greg had a huge follow, probably around a 43-45" fish, and shortly after, I went on a tear. I started out with a feisty 34".

34cast.jpg

Five casts later, I caught another, a 33".

33cast.jpg

Ten minutes later, my best largemouth bass of the season was in the boat at 18.5" and 3 to 3.5 lbs.

nicebass185.jpg

Right after that, I got a 3lb smallmouth which after a great scrap shook off at boatside. Not one to be outdone, Greg then boated a bass of his own... tee hee heeeee.... can you really call this one a LARGEmouth? Sorry man, had to get that in there...

giantlmb.jpg

All 4 of my fish came while casting, all on the same lure! Five minutes later, I had a huge follow of my own - but she took off before I could start a figure 8. We casted for another half hour, and then went on a trolling run back through the area we had just fished. Good idea! Just after we passed the area where Greg had his big follow, my lure got smashed by a beautiful fat 40". The Tekota performed beautifully.

troll40.jpg

After a quick pic, and some underwater video, we resumed the troll... and my lure got hammered again less than 5 minutes later! Right after the hit, she LAUNCHED skyward, clearing the water by almost 4 feet! She jumped twice more during the scrap, to Greg's enjoyment... in his short musky fishing career he hadn't yet had the pleasure of seeing an aerial display... and she was certainly a skywalker. She was just as energetic at boatside - and was not very co-operative getting in the cradle - but we got her in. When she jumped (quite a ways out) she didn't look that big, and we figured her to be a low 30's fish, but she turned out to be a healthy 38"!

troll38.jpg

We fished for another hour until dark and packed it in. Not a bad day at all - I felt bad for Greg as he fished his butt off with not much to show for it. If I he was a righty I would have gladly handed him the rod on one of the skis! I'm sure the fish gods will repay you next time bud! But remember, if you catch that 50" before I do, you have to swim back to the launch...

Here is the underwater video of the 40" and 38" releases, I made it a much smaller video file this time, and did a bit of editing in Windows Movie Maker. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WTVfYs5bes

Almost forgot to mention that the Motorguide wireless 45 performed flawlessly... it has more than enough juice for my boat. I grabbed an Interstate deep cycle battery (180 mins RC) from BPS for $120 - and still had 3/4 power left at the end of the day despite running it for quite a long time. I seriously don't know how I did without a trolling motor before - it makes fishing structure and weedlines SOOOOOO much easier and more accurate!!!!

Edited by Fisherpete

Great pics and video!

What were you using out there to catch em? I fished 3-4 hours on pigeon lake on Friday with a Mepps Giant Killer but absolutely nothing to show for it. I have never focused an outing on Musky and the first one obviously wasn't too successful!

Thanks

Pete

Good to hear about the lures. I dropped some coin on 2 body baits today. They look good, but I may have to purge soon. You can always pick up another pair at CT. Just tell them you want last weeks sale price. They should give it to you.

Edited by fishgreg

Flexible work schedule and awesome wife = lots of fishing for me! :thumbsup_anim:

It really has been a great summer so far... lots of time on the water.

You need to put in the time.... great days of musky fishing indeed :Gonefishing:

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report. Looks like your secret lure works good in that lake also! Its only a mater of time before the fall comes around and you have a chance at your 50. Good Luck!

Hey Greg - finally got those lures from my bro... and the bolt cutters. Ther lures look great - but don't know if the bolt cutters will be beefy enough to cut thru some of those thicker hooks...

Get yourself a set of Knipex cutters Pete, they cut thru big hooks like butter.

If you need to cut heavy hooks in a hurry, like when you've got one in your hand and a nasty fish on the other end, those cheap CTC cutters are no good.

Their expensive but well worth every $$$$

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1367&groupID=1473

Guest Johnny Bass

Get yourself a set of Knipex cutters Pete, they cut thru big hooks like butter.

If you need to cut heavy hooks in a hurry, like when you've got one in your hand and a nasty fish on the other end, those cheap CTC cutters are no good.

Their expensive but well worth every $$$$

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1367&groupID=1473

Lew. It doesn't say which model is best and prices.

Lew. It doesn't say which model is best and prices.

Johnny, most of the guys I fish with use 71-01-200.

I use 71-11-200 which is the same cutter, except it has a spring loaded handle which makes it easier to operate with one hand.

Guest Johnny Bass

Johnny, most of the guys I fish with use 71-01-200.

I use 71-11-200 which is the same cutter, except it has a spring loaded handle which makes it easier to operate with one hand.

Thanks. I'll look into pricing now.

LOL thanks Henry... did you paint the hull with muskie attractant too? The boat has been great so far... loving it. Hey - one question for you, when I mounted the trolling motor I used a piece of 3/4 ply underneath as some additional support, but I still find the front triangle a bit flexy (not the cast part where the light is, but the aluminum sheet metal ledge behind it). Seen any modifications to beef this area up? I was thinking of some square aluminum tubing underneath, but am not sure how to mount/rivet it to the sides of the boat. I'll try to take some pics so you know what the heck I am talking about... here's the pic of the boat from the Legend website and the area I am talking about.

2010_16_prosport_overhead1.jpg